HEAT Reconnaissance is a four-day class focusing in detail on the planning and conduct of the reconnaissance patrol. This class is heavily influenced by the LRS background of the Chief Instructor, Scott.
During HEAT 2 Combat Patrol, an introduction was given to the reconnaissance patrol / close target recce on day two, recce day. This included a day / night CTR patrol. The reconnaissance class takes this a step further with detailed reconnaissance training over four days.
This is a Force on Force class (no live fire) and there is no training prerequisite. Patrols will face the real possibility of enemy contact and subsequent IA drills.
A class outline is as follows:
- Reconnaissance Patrol Theory.
- Gear selection and setup.
- Hand / arm signals.
- Fieldcraft / camouflage & concealment.
- Patrol Formations.
- Immediate Action (IA) Drills.
- Fieldcraft lane.
- Multiple Patrols.
- Observations Posts.
- Surveillance methods and techniques.
Class size: Max 8 Students.
AirSim: bring your own gas blowback rifle, or rent rifle, mags, gas and BBs for $100.
OPFOR volunteers are required (Saturday / Sunday).
This list complements to your usual tactical training and load carrying equipment, which can be found linked from the HEAT 1 Page HERE.
Note that this is an AirSim class (force on force). You will be issued an LM4 AirSim rifle, magazines plus green gas / BB’s. More information on AirSim and personal protection can be found HERE. It is optional, but beneficial to your overall training development, to invest in a PTS MEGA ARMS AR15 Gas Blow Back Rifle, which is yours and can clone your live fire rifle.
- Capability of carrying at least 12 magazines – not all in your immediate load carrying equipment, some will be in your assault pack.
- Camouflage Uniform: Pants and Shirt (Recommend no combat shirts. You will find out that those are not the best option for this class.)
- Wet Weather Gear (NO PONCHOS).
- Appropriate cold weather gear for the time of year.
- Spotting Scope (Optional).
- Medium size assault pack.
- Ability to carry water (Camel Back bladder, nalgene bottles etc.)
- Protective gear for Airsim (Eye Pro, mask or balaclava to protect face).
- Boonie Cap.
- Folding Saw.
- Small Pruning Shears.
- Lensatic or Silva-type Compass.
- Wrist Compass (Optional).
- GPS (Optional): Need to have the capability to identify grid coordinates.
- 550 Cord.
- 100 MPH Tape or electrical tape (NO BRIGHT COLORS).
- No body armor or plate carriers.
- No helmets.
- No complete ghillie suits. At most some type of scrim or head net only to be worn during reconnaissance, not during movement.
- Notebook and pen for missions (The best are the Rite in the Rain notebooks).
- Note taking material for lecture portion of the class.
- Two meals will be eaten while on patrol. It needs to be some type of MRE or Mountain House.
- Lunch, snacks, water and drinks like a normal class.