Tactical Class Fitness Pre-Requisites
MVT requires students meet physical fitness prerequisites prior to attendance on any Tactical Class. The prerequisites apply to all classes under the TRAINING > TACTICAL CLASSES tab on the website menu. It does not apply to those under the TRAINING > FIREARMS TRAINING menu.
Classes the fitness prerequisites apply to:
- HEAT 1, HEAT 2, HEAT CQB, HEAT FOF, HEAT TL, Night Firing.
Classes the fitness prerequisites do not apply to:
- Defensive Concealed Handgun, HEMS (standalone classes only), Long Range Marksmanship Course.
- The fitness pre-requisites are designed to ensure a basic level of cardiovascular fitness and endurance and also the ability to safely get up and down from kneeling positions. This is essential to safety on class: the ability to get up and down from kneeling without waving, or muzzling others with, the rifle. A lack of fitness (or being ‘gassed’/ exhausted) leads to a lack of concentration which in turn can leads to safety issues
- MVT Tactical Training classes are light infantry classes and require a basic level of physical ability. It is not necessary to be, for example, an Iron Man athlete, but on the other hand it appears that some students make no effort at physical conditioning. This leads to a less then optimal learning experience, both for that student and for their range buddies. You will get more out of training if you make an effort at a minimum level of physical conditioning.
- These standards are absolute minimums for class attendance; a higher level of physical conditioning should be aspired to.
Tactical Training Class Standards
2 Mile Event:
The 2 Mile Event will be a 2 mile course on flat or gently rolling terrain, on track or road. It will be completed in 30 minutes or under carrying a 25 lb load. This is a standard 15 minute mile pace.
- This will be conducted by students and self-certified within one (1) month of the class start date.
- The 25 lb load can be carried in any form. It can be a pack, ruck, load bearing equipment, plate carrier or any combination.
- Carrying a rifle is not necessary.
- the 25 lb weight is dry weight and does not include any carried food or water. 25 lb will be the weight at end of the 2 miles.
- This test will not be conducted at class, due to time limitations and the fact that the VTC terrain is more challenging. This will be self-certified by students as part of the pre-class disclaimer / information packets.
- MVT reserves the right to remove a student from training if it is felt they are physically unable to perform at class leading to safety concerns.
- Students will be able to self-certify an event or standard that is considered an equivalent or greater level of physical conditioning – but you must check with MVT in advance by email.
Alternate Forward Lunges:
Immediately on completion of the 2 Mile Event, students will complete a series of alternate forward lunges for 2 minutes, carrying the 25 lb load. The minimum standard is 30 lunges in 2 minutes.
- You can search ‘alternate front lunges’ on YouTube to see this exercise.
- The starting and finishing position for each lunge is stood upright, feet slightly apart, hands behind head fingers interlocked.
- The hands on head position is a specific MVT requirement for this exercise, designed to mimic the muscle / balance requirements when kneeing down on the ranges holding your rifle in a safe direction. Hands remain on head throughout the performance of the exercise.
- On each lunge, touch the knee of the rear leg to the ground, alternating legs on each lunge.
- Do not put the knee of the lunging (forward) leg over the toes of the forward foot. This is good form.
- Count each repetition when returning to the standing position. Thus it is 15 lunges on each leg, alternating, 30 total.
Paced Terrain Walk:
Although the fitness prerequisites are self-certifiable, one arrival on day 1 of the 4 Day Combat Team Tactics class, there will be a paced terrain walk of approximately a mile, followed by alternating standing lunges, on arrival on the first day of the class. You will carry your kit, minimum 6 loaded magazines, and your unloaded rifle. This will confirm the self-certification and build team at start of class. This will not be a race, but a steady paced terrain walk adapted to the terrain at the VTC to replicate the 15 minute mile pace.
MVT reserves the right to ask for this test to be conducted at class, wearing the equipment worn at class, if there are any doubts as to the ability of the individual to move safely around the ranges.
Students with medical issues must obtain clearance from a relevant medical professional prior to conducting any of these exercises or tests.
If anyone has general questions, or is interested in the MVT Tactical Fitness test, they can be raised on the MVT Forum. For specific questions, or questions about injury, disability or equivalent events, email MVT (firstname.lastname@example.org).