ITAR & Training Foreign Students

I have had numerous inquiries over time from foreign students inquiring about training at MVT. These inquiries come from places such as Canada, the UK, Australia, and as such appear to me to be legitimate inquiries from ‘Coalition’ countries whose personnel I would be happy to train.

The website states:

“Due to DoS ITAR regulations, tactical training is only available to US Citizens/Legal Residents.”

This is true. However, there is a way round it, but it costs money. I have just been on the phone to State and found out the following:

  • ‘Tourist’ ranges, where someone just goes to pew pew a hired firearm, are legal because there is no training involved.
  • Tactical and Firearms TRAINING classes are covered under ITAR, and are thus restricted to US Citizens / Legal Residents.


(and it’s all about the money, as usual)

  • MVT registers with DoS and pays an annual fee of $2250.
  • Applies for a case by case license at a cost of $250 per license, per individual/group.
  • The license is for each group or individual that comes on a training class. Thus: groups are better.
  • The annual registration  takes about 45 days and there needs to be up to 4 weeks lead time for each license to be approved.


I am asking for interest. If there are sufficient individuals / groups then I may be persuaded to pay the registration fee.


Understand that there will be costs associated with this above and beyond the usual class fees.

MVT will need to:

  • Recover registration / license fees.
  • Supply loaner firearms.
  • Consider additional front end training days for those unfamiliar with firearms (i.e. Basic Rifle).
  • Purchase ammunition for students.
  • Possibly supply load bearing equipment.

So it may take the form of a package deal. Students will also have flights and car rental to consider, as well as accommodation. So, expensive, but it depends how much you want to do tactical training, which you can’t get back home?

If you are one of those potential students reading this blog, please send me an email (Contact Form) with interest. I will assess interest and make a business decision as to whether it is worth getting the registration. Remember, it’s a licence per individual or group. so it makes more sense to come with buddies, or even as a team.

If you are a foreign student and wish to come for training, it remains at the discretion of MVT if we will train you. I want to know something about you, and that must pass  muster when you actually show up.