White Light Indoors

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Night Operations White Light Indoors

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

Practicing clearing residential rooms at night with white light, I thought I would share some things I’ve experienced or thought about, with the hopes of hearing what successes or failures you guys have had. Cadre, I’d love to hear any sage wisdom you might have to share (or shoot down any of my thoughts, I always have extra room in my gut for some humble pie!).

1) The specifics of the wall itself can have an effect: tile vs drywall, light colored vs darker painted walls, gloss vs matte paint, etc. My general thought is, you can’t really do anything about this unless you have intimate knowledge of the building. If it’s your own house, you can definitely analyze where you need to/shouldn’t shine your light. For example, maybe you know where a mirror is, that upon entry, shining would immediately bounce back into your own face! Ask me how I learned that one. ;-)

2) The size of the room/how close you are to a wall/big object when you flash your light can lead to more or less splash. I definitely think there’s a skill to knowing when/where to activate the light. I noticed I can minimize splash by shining at the ceiling in the center of the room, but it also doesn’t make sense from a tactics perspective when you should be digging your corner. Any guidance here cadre?

3) Probably most of all, the brightness of the light. A brighter light can have advantages in being able to penetrate very large spaces and having a greater blinding affect against people, but it’s like a double edged sword, greatly increasing the risk of partially blinding yourself with splash. I’ve experimented with 330, 400, 800, and 1000 lumens and MUCH prefer the 330 and 400 lights over the 800 and 1000. There is more to a flashlight than just lumens, like how it’s actuated, modes, the dispersal of the beam, specific light color, durability, etc, BUT the really bright lights just seem tough to use in small spaces. The two prior points I made are easily exacerbated by a really bright light.

Something I don’t have any sort of reference on, but would love to hear from others, is white light vs night vision in residential buildings. Night vision seems like it would have a niche where it could be advantageous, if the mission specifics were perfect, like a building without power, but I also see it being a pretty big hindrance in tight spaces. Is that an accurate assessment or am I just inexperienced?

I’m all ears…

hellokitty
        Participant

You want the highest lumen you can get. The splash or blinding is minor compare to target descrimination. Can you see the object in the hands in the dark from the furthest distance in your house? That is your primary concern. You cant shoot what you cant see and you better see a weapon clearly to make a shoot no shoot decision.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
          HEAT 2 (CP) X1
          FOF X3
          OPFOR X2
          CLC X2
          RIFLEMAN

wheelsee
          Participant

Maybe I just live in a humble-sized house haha!

If it’s your house, you should already have the advantage. You should be able to walk your house blind-folded and ALWAYS know the location and distance of obstacles, halls, rooms, etc.

I have had the distinct displeasure of having my wife shake me, stating “someone’s in the house”, at 2AM. Guaranteed to wake one up! This was in the 90’s while I was still SWAT. My S&W 4006 in hand, listening for sounds, something in the kitchen. I eased out of the bedroom, stepped across the hall, backed into my daughter’s room and verified she was in bed – all known friendlies are now behind me.

The tough part was our living room/kitchen was a wide open room with short walls for a bar with a bit of a blind-spot. Once I was able to get into a position that I felt comfortable with, flipped light switch and…….. dishes in the sink must have shifted……

Lessons –
            1. make DANG sure where everyone in the house is. Above happened just after this – http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/10/us/a-daughter-s-death-a-father-s-guilt.html
            2. Make sure you’re awake and making good decisions. There won’t be a 2nd-chance (see link for #1).
            3. Not everything that goes bump in the night is a threat.
            4. KNOW the layout of your house. This is a distinct advantage for you, if you use it.
            5. Muzzle awareness, KNOW it.
            6. Pistol light would have helped. The only lights we used were on our MP-5s (which were kept at the station). Afterwards, I bought a light which has always stayed on my night-stand (still does).
            7. Position mirrors in your house to illuminate blind spots. That blind-spot mentioned above?? We moved one of our large mirrors to cover that area, shine the flashlight into the mirror and it lit up the blind spot.
            8. Move slowly and methodically. After the initial sound, I never heard another sound.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.