Whats in your IFAK? First responder kit?

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Med Gear and Kit Whats in your IFAK? First responder kit?

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris

Hey guys, in light of all the recent violence happening in large population centers, sadly it may just be a matter of time before we see this happen in one of our own communities.
        Im curious what many of you are carrying for trauma kits either in your POV or even as part of an EDC (every day carry) setup. Do you carry enough to plug a hole? stop arterial bleeding? sucking chest wound? do you have enough gear that you could assist in a mass casualty situation? What training do you have or wish you had to be more of an asset in such a situation. I know deep down we all want to be the guy/girl that has his AR and kit and actually gets to drop one of these scumbags bringing evil to our community but once the shooting stops, are you ready to help?

Food for thought, would like some feedback. Hope you all are doing well

JeffSags
        Participant

I carry combat gauze, compressed gause, two hyphin chest seals and a cat t. This goes in a marked pouch in my edc pack. I also added kits to each car, minus the combat gauze and a swat t instead of the cat.

No decompression needles. I wouldn’t use one on a stranger anyway and wouldn’t want a stranger using one on me.

Chris

interesting point on the D needles. I carry two in the car but its valid to not want someone stabbing away at your chest if they aren’t trained…

D Close

Schmitty,
              Recently upgraded to two SOF-T/CAT, plus Oleas bandage. I will have at least one TQ on my person with another in a shoulder conceal carry bag either in my POV or on my back with extra mags, optics, lights and multitool.

whitebear620
              Participant

In my left cargo pocket (both shorts and pants) I carry:
                1 CAT, set up for one handed use
                1 H&H compressed gauze
                1 triangular bandage
                2 sets of large gloves
                Need to add two chest seals
                This is carried in a quart sized ziplock. This is pretty much always on me unless I’m wearing athletic shorts for PT or around the house, and formal occasions where cargo pants aren’t allowed (kind of rare for me). Throw this into my EDC pack if I’m not wearing my cargos.

My background is former 68W National Guard, so I do know what I’m doing with a TQ. Don’t carry a needle for chest decompression because this kit is primarily for just until the paramedics arrive. In a mass casulty situation, I’m probably out of supplies after the first patient, but at least I have a few things before improvising has to happen. :bye:

First Sergeant

One of the biggest things that people neglect is carrying some type of blow out kit. They get all wrapped up in carrying a gun and then will not carry a reload nor any type of IFAK.

In today’s world you have to be prepared to treat yourself or others. Proof of that is the number of people who bled out in Orlando. You are responsible for you, no one else. Not cops nor EMT’s. And you damn sure can’t rely on the general public. They would rather video you on your cell phone bleeding out than help.

The sooner you realize that no one is coming for you, the better off you will be.

I never leave the house without a minimum of a TQ. Even if I am just working in the yard or around the farm. I probably wont get shot, but I work around machinery and livestock. Chainsaws and tractors could screw you you up pretty quick.

All of my vehicles have blow out kits in them. Stocked with stuff for gunshot wounds but also for vehicle accidents.

I have two different ways of carrying IFAK’s on me when I go out. One is ankle carried. It has a 4″ Israeli dressing, Quickclot gauze, SOFT-W and a pair of nitrile gloves.

The other is by Dark Angel Medical. It fits in a cargo pocket or can be attached to a belt. It fits in the back pocket of the Carhart pants that I wear.
                  http://darkangelmedical.com/pocket-d-a-r-k-trauma-kit/

Attached are the pictures of the two different kits.

As far as the Hyphin chest seals, I would go with something else. Advice was given to me and others by an 18D that the glue goes bad and does not stick when you need it. All my kits have Asherman seals.

Lastly, get training. Take a class.

FILO
                  Signal Out, Can You Identify
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

They would rather video you on your cell phone bleeding out than help.

Heck, they would live-stream the shooter about to kill them! :unsure:

Who makes the ankle rig?

I have a maxpedition belt pouch I use now.

First Sergeant

Who makes the ankle rig?

http://www.rescue-essentials.com/rescue-essentials-tactical-ankle-medical-kit/

This is it.

FILO
                      Je ne regrette rien
                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Thanks First Sergeant.

I almost choked at the price before I realized it was equipped and not just the rig. ;-)

The Tactical Ankle Medical Kit Includes:

1 SOFTT-W Gen 3 Tourniquet
                        1 4″ Israeli Emergency Bandage
                        2 Pairs Black Nitrile Gloves

Max
                        Keymaster

In the POV, I have full BLS bag including 02.
                          personal/small kit -used on both fire line gear and my H gear.
                          few sets of Gloves
                          Cat T
                          rolled gauze
                          cohesive bandage
                          extra tape
                          handful of 4 by 4’s
                          trauma shears
                          quick clot trauma pack
                          #28 nasal airway/lube
                          barrier mask
                          triangle bandage
                          pen light
                          4 IBpro’s
                          4 low dose aspirin
                          foil blanket
                          a few anti-bacteria wipes
                          sharpie

wildbill
                          Participant

I never leave home without my conceal carry or small IFAC. Here is a link to another small one that will fit in a cargo pants pocket.

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-pocket-epik.html#.V5UTdo1THt5

I’ll have to get one of the ankle IFAK’s for when wearing dressier pants — better safe than sorry. :yes:

As far as training goes does anyone have some good suggestions?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Thats a difficult question since availability and quality of instruction vary greatly. Best I can offer is ask around and/or internet search. Finally the whole “due diligence” thing, checking references etc…

wildbill
                              Participant

Maybe someday down the road Max could bring in a 18D to due some training. In the SHTF world that we are training for where bullets will be going both ways knowing how to treat what is all to likely to befall members of family, friends, tribe or ourselves would be knowledge worth paying for.

First Sergeant

Check out Dark Angel Medical.

FILO
                                  Je ne regrette rien
                                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wildbill
                                  Participant

Thanks @FirstSergeant Dark Angel Medical’s training schedules, locations and cost are very reasonable. :good:

12aklabs
                                    Participant

I carry Dark Angel med kits both in my EDC bag and in my rig. The DA kits have 2 TQ’s.

wildbill
                                      Participant

Check out Dark Angel Medical.

Took your advice and attended a class that was being held in Roanoke, VA this past weekend and I can’t say thank you enough, the two day 16 hour class was excellent! The instructor a former navy corpsman assigned to Marine Scout Sniper Teams in Iraq and Afghanistan, plus numerous other contractor deployments was knowledgeable and though the subject matter was serious and some of the videos and discussions hard to see and hear about his jokes in places helped make the class both bearable and informative. The hands on use of medical equipment and scenario/role playing that we all got to participate in help us to understand how to assess the problem and treat the simulated injuries.

A gun without training is at the least useless and at the most dangerous to yourself and others; well carrying an IFAC or trauma/medical kit without training is just as bad. There are many other training courses and companies out there so get to one before you are in a situation where you need the knowledge and because of the lack of it you are either a useless bystander or make the situation worse by doing the wrong thing.

You might want to checkout Dark Angel Medical Training classes offered all around the country or even maybe host one in your area.

(From their website) The course covers the following:
                                        • Physiological and Psychological reactions to environmental stress
                                        • The importance of having the proper Combat Mindset
                                        • Basic Anatomy and Physiology of life-sustaining systems
                                        • H, A, B, C’s—Hemorrhage, Airway, Breathing and Circulation
                                        • Breakdown and usage of Individual Med Kit components
                                        • Proper stowage and employment of the IMK
                                        • Hands-on application of the IMK
                                        • Basic and Advanced Airway management -treating and monitoring tension pneumothorax, sucking chest wound and flail chest
                                        • Airway adjunct device placement-Nasopharyngeal Airway
                                        • Basic First Aid and Advanced wound care
                                        • Application of Bandages and Hemostatic Agents
                                        • Application of tourniquets
                                        • Recognition and Treatment of various injuries (Gunshot, Laceration, Burn, Airway, Head, Orthopedic, Environmental)
                                        • Recognition and treatment of hypovolemic (hemorrhagic) shock
                                        • Moving and positioning victims with various injuries
                                        • Response to active shooter situation
                                        • Proper use of cover and cover vs. concealment
                                        • Casualty recovery in an Active Shooter situation
                                        • Mass casualty triage procedure
                                        • Emergency Medical Dialect/Lingo (911 protocol, cooperation with LE, Fire and EMS and First Responders)

wheelsee
                                        Participant

One of the biggest things that people neglect is carrying some type of blow out kit. They get all wrapped up in carrying a gun and then will not carry a reload nor any type of IFAK.

In today’s world you have to be prepared to treat yourself or others.

Many may know of the recent shooting of a FF/EMT-P in Dallas TX – http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/05/02/dallas-firefighter-shot-in-line-of-duty-improving-faces-long-recovery/

Shooter Of Paramedic Found Dead Along With One Other Person

And this one – READ IT CAREFULLY
                                          http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/shooter-opens-fire-on-paramedics-in-east-dallas/435604002

Could a TQ have helped??

SeanT
                                          Keymaster

Not to disparage at all but the article points out that FD was issued some vests and firefighter was not wearing it. The offensive weapon was a rifle ( if no plates, not much help) and Dude got shot in the arm and the leg so the answer about TQ is that TWO would have been good to have. After a couple FoF training weekends, it is pretty clear that one TQ is not enough and you DO get shot in the hands/arms pretty often.

Civilianresponder
                                            Participant

I carry a TQ and small trauma kit daily (quik clot gauze, israeli bandage, hyfin seal, and gloves). The trauma kit fits in one cargo pocket the TQ in the other. My truck has a full size trauma kit with more of the same. In the Austin TX area Combative Weapon solutions has a pretty good immediate trauma care class.

Scott G
                                              Participant

Who makes the ankle rig?

This is it.

@First Sergeant (or anyone who has used it): Can this be worn under civilian pants, like dress pants? Wondering if I can use this on a daily basis.
                                                Thanks.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Can this be worn under civilian pants, like dress pants? Wondering if I can use this on a daily basis.

I rarely wear dress pants these days, but depending on how they are cut and your size would be determining factor. Not to mention how you pack it.

I have no problem with regular cut jeans and 5.11 taclite pro pants, my typical daily wear.

A_A_Ron2guns
                                                  Participant

Don’t use black gloves unless you’re doing some covert shit. Blood is very hard to see on black gloves and during a blood sweep can be over looked especially in dark environments. Purple, blue and green for me.

osozorro
                                                    Participant

I built one in a Ryker Nylon Gear pouch. Halo vent seals, quikclot combat gauze, h&h mini compression dressing, tq, gloves. Fits above my boots under all jeans and pants I have.
                                                      https://www.rykernylongear.com

osozorro
                                                      Participant

I also keep a Dark Angel Medical VISR kit in my truck.
                                                        http://darkangelmedical.com/vehicular-individual-safety-rig-visr/

First Sergeant

Who makes the ankle rig?

This is it.

@First Sergeant (or anyone who has used it): Can this be worn under civilian pants, like dress pants? Wondering if I can use this on a daily basis.
                                                          Thanks.

I have worn it with khaki’s and suit pants with no issues.

But as Joe said, it’s going to depend on the cut of the pants.

FILO
                                                          Je ne regrette rien
                                                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

A_A_Ron2guns
                                                          Participant

The recent shooting in Vegas had a lot of the Vegas LEO using their ankle mounted IFAK. I hate things on my legs but I have to admit it’s a damn good idea for low profile work. It’ll depend on your pant cut and of course footwear. Lower ankle support will be easier to conceal vs Ifak wrapped over a thick boot with tight jeans.

idahocajun
                                                            Participant

As an ER doc, what I carry in my car would seem a bit ridiculous. I have been working with a local company in Boise that produces IFAKs, blow out kits, car kits etc for military, LEO and civilian use. In full disclosure, I do some medical consulting for them. With that said, I don’t advocate one product over another, but do advocate for community training and preparedness. This is what I carry. Worth checking out if you’re in the market. Yes, they are NOT cheap, but when lives are truly on the line…do you want the cheapest gear?

https://activityusa.com/

Civilianresponder
                                                              Participant

I didnt see a specific item referenced. Is there a kit they make that you carry?

idahocajun
                                                                Participant

I carry the IFAK and low vis ankle. I’ve got my own car kit that was put together in conjunction with EMS. I copied direct links below:

Activity A360-AIFAK Trauma Kit

Activity Group LowV Ankle Kit

Civilianresponder
                                                                  Participant

Thanks. That ratcheting tq looks interesting. Any professional input about it?

BrigandActual
                                                                    Participant

Couldn’t help it…

In all seriousness, my kit contents include:
                                                                      – Benchmade Rescue Hook (instead of shears)
                                                                      – Hyfin twin pack of compact vented chest seals
                                                                      – Israeli bandage/OLEAS
                                                                      – NAR Z-Fold gauze
                                                                      – Nitrile gloves
                                                                      – Duct tape wound around some random plastic card
                                                                      – Chitogauze
                                                                      – C-A-T tourniquet x 2 (1 in the kit, another elsewhere

I usually have an additional SWAT-T tourniquet stuffed in a pocket or pack.

Scott G
                                                                      Participant

Who makes the ankle rig?

This is it.

Thanks.

I have worn it with khaki’s and suit pants with no issues.

But as Joe said, it’s going to depend on the cut of the pants.

Well, I have enough stuff to try putting into it, the expense for just the rig itself is not prohibitive, so I may give it a shot. Might take some getting used to.

Thanks for the input, gents!

Trailrunner
                                                                        Participant

Ankle rig
                                                                          https://www.rykernylongear.com

With this
                                                                          http://darkangelmedical.com/pocket-d-a-r-k-trauma-kit/

And chest seals.

CAT gen7 tourniquet in pocket.

D.A.R.K. Trauma Kit In car and on kit.

Dark Angel provide great training too.

• #109422
                                                                          zeerf
                                                                          Participant

Dark Angel provide great training too.

1 on this. Well worth it to take class next time they are in your area.

• #109423
                                                                            farmer
                                                                            Participant

I agree on the Dark Angel class. I am up in NY right now after Day 1 of their 2 day class.

I am very happy that I heard about them when I attended HEMS in the fall of 2016.

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.