What I need to know about owning a pond.

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge What I need to know about owning a pond.

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Sitting Duck. This post has been viewed 100 times
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      DuaneH
      Participant

So the wife and I are finally starting to look for another place to live. Were planning on doing a few months ago, but CV19 happened and we have been planning it for 5 years or so.

We are looking for a house on acerage like 30+ and a lot of places we are looking at have ponds.

I do not know anyone who owns a pond and I don’t know anything about owning a pond.

Anyone have good first hand or good second hand experience?

wheelsee
        Participant

My brother has a pond on his place, stocked with brim then bass about 6 months later (if stocked in reverse, you’re just feeding the bass). He also has cattle and says he wished he’d kept the cows out of the pond to begin with – polluted the water with cowpies (and tore up the banks with their weight/hooves) – now he keeps a stock tank (galvanized) full with fresh water.

wheelsee
          Participant

My sister and BIL have a place (north central TX, think rocky) where there are 2 different ponds with the top one feeding the bottom one. The top one is over 20′ deep and always has water in it, even during a drought (possible spring fed, they’re not sure). They draw water and run it through a Berkey for their household water needs.

DuaneH
            Participant

Is there any maintenance that has to be done to a pond?

Sitting Duck
              Participant

“The Pond Guidebook” by Jim Ochterski, Bryan Swistock, Clifford Kraft and Rebecca Schneider. NRAES-178. Cornell plant and life sciences publishing. Probably available from your Extension Agent or MidWest Plan Service for less than Cornell

There’s different types of ponds depending on construction, use and flow. Most ponds have issue with Containment (Dam break is a big deal, drying into a stinking mudpit half the year is as well ), Sediment, Stagnation, Liability (Really, REALLY sucks when there’s a dead woman floating in your pond.) Weeds

We have a bunch of irrigation ponds. Not for looking pretty or swimming, boating. They’re attractive to way too many people who like to fish, party.

DuaneH
                Participant

Thanks for the book suggestion

Sitting Duck
                  Participant

Is there any maintenance that has to be done to a pond?

Depends on the pond and problem. Some need to be cleaned due to constant supply of silt. Others develop leaks and dam erosion. So you could be pulling dirt out or putting in back.

Canada geese are a pest. Muskrats, beaver, those south American rodents dig and have their own plans on your pond. If you’re stocking fish an eagle, heron or mink can clean you out.

Weeds might require pH adjustment, herbicide, digging , colorants, aeration or a bale of straw.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.