Virus and Crime

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Information & Intelligence Virus and Crime

• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by wheelsee. This post has been viewed 729 times
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

We are all seeing the daily reports of infection rates and death rates. Reports of lock downs, closures and quarantines.

What are some of the 2nd and 3rd order effects of this?

Crime is going to go up in certain areas. Urban first and then suburban.

Police agencies across the country have been given orders to stop responding to certain crimes. Unless it is violently felony level most have been told to issue a summons and let the criminal go.

Jails have been emptied.

That’s one part of it. The next involves drugs, dealers and users.

A lot of users can’t get the money for their habit from the usual sources so they will resort to other means. Car break ins and out buildings. Looking for anything that they can turn into cash to feed the habit. If that doesn’t work thy will move to home burglaries. All of this has the potential to turn ugly.

Dealers are having problems with resupply. That causes the price to go up. That drives the previous paragraph.

Do you know that someone that has a heroin habit spends $200.00 a day on average to feed the monkey on their back?

I have seen reports that the cartels in Mexico are having issues getting the chemicals that they use for meth. Those chemicals come from China. Which again causes a supply and demand issue.

Add to this people losing their jobs. Most live paycheck to paycheck and have no reserves at all. They don’t have a pantry or deep freeze stocked. Where are they going to get money for groceries? Where are they going to get toilet paper?

All this adds up to the odds of something happening going up. Whether it’s you car, outbuilding or house getting broke into. Or the possibility of you getting robbed coming out of the grocery store. I have seen reports of that happening also.

There is a lot of uncertainty right now. Lives have been turned upside down, schedules and routines have changed. Be aware and be vigilant.

Stay armed.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

JohnnyMac
        Participant

I have seen reports that the cartels in Mexico are having issues getting the chemicals that they use for meth. Those chemicals come from China. Which again causes a supply and demand issue.

This is very true. Although given cartel resources, they’re probably already working on alternate suppliers, expect that increased cost to be passed on to the consumer.

As to the rest, desperation changes the cost/benefit analysis for sure. Interesting times

cdrn77
          Participant

A fellow nurse that I work with had her car broken into, in her driveway in a nice suburban subdivision with normally low crime. Nothing of any value was in the car….. her SO is a LEO… uniformed… known in the neighborhood. That says something imo.

We normally see 1-2 psych pts a shift that are brought in by LE for SI/HI complaints. We haven’t had one brought in recently, they’re still out and about…. just not being contacted by LE at a normal frequency.

Neighboring county has stay at home order starting 3/27 at midnight. ER staff were all issued essential personnel decals for travel to and from work yesterday.

Definitely interesting times

Southeast Tx
            ER RN

wheelsee
            Participant

ER staff were all issued essential personnel decals for travel to and from work yesterday.

Definitely interesting times

Southeast Tx
              ER RN

Realize that these alone (decals) may target you, similar to the car rental decals in the 80s and 90s. While those decals flagged you as a tourist, your described decal target you as “essential” meaning you probably have tools or supplies in your vehicle.

In the DFW area, we’re using our work badges as “hall passes” and have been advised to carry with us at all times, especially when traveling. Nothing other than our parking decal and whatever else was already on the vehicles.

We too are not seeing the psych patients (no, we’re not turning away). We have a specific 12-bed ED unit just for psych (always full) that we have closed for now – no psychs being brought in, EMS or police. So where are they?? still in the community most likely.

cdrn77
              Participant

“that these alone (decals) may target you, similar to the car rental decals in the 80s and 90s. While those decals flagged you as a tourist, your described decal target you as “essential” meaning you probably have tools or supplies in your vehicle.”

Decals are a sticker on our badges, and a paper form that is to be displayed only when enroute…. mine is currently upside down in a plastic sack in back seat….

I plan to only use the windshield decal if I encounter resistance while traveling to work, removing and placing it out of sight while parked, for the exact reasons mentioned above by Wheelsee…

Robert Henry
                Participant

Very timely thread!

Even some of the small towns around here where it seems like no one is taking this seriously- are putting on 10pm to 6am curfews in the towns.

Small towns, not a lot of cops. But a lot of folks like 1stSargent described.

You guys that are doing a lot of public last minute prep shopping runs need to be careful as well. Carry, be vigilant, go in pairs and one loads the car while the other just kind hangs out and walks around near the vehicle.

What’s one of the drills 1stSargent has you do in DCH with the bag????? Exxxxaaaaacctttllly! :good:

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                  Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I add a extra magazine and increase practice!

:good:

Attachments:
                    You must be logged in to view attached files.
                    JC
                    Participant

The Franklin County Sheriff’s department went to “level 3” yesterday. This means they are severely limiting face to face contact. Most issues will be attempted by phone call. Calls for assistance will be limited to those who have an actual emergency. No role calls or group gatherings by the deputies. Same patrol schedule and shifts, so there is no reduction in “visibility”.

When they went to “Level 2” in March, they were doing no more random traffic stops, and responses were limited to actual violence in progress. This applied to EMT’s as well. Also the local courts shutdown because a conviction would result in having a new, potentially infected inmate with nowhere to send them because the local Jail has no medical ward or Dr, and the Western Regional Jail (which has a medical facility) stated they would take no new inmates.

This is a very rural county in SW VA. I assume other departments, particularly those in more urban areas that are experiencing a high infection rate (at the moment), are in the same or similar status. Perhaps we have LE alumni that can chime in on this.

This is the beginning of the “social slide”. When Law enforcement/emergency response starts to erode, you will begin to see more violence as criminals, gang members, thugs, drug addicts, your mentally challenged neighbor, etc take advantage of the situation. It’s a continuum – on one end you have ‘normal’ times, were the law enforcement/emergency services show up to get Fluffy the cat out of the tree. At the other extreme, law enforcement/emergency services are non-existent – which would be a total breakdown in our social structure. We are no longer in ‘normal’ times. We are somewhere down that slope. For now, this will differ from location to location depending on the severity of the health crisis, and other factors. The impact could be an order of magnitude greater in large metropolitan areas.

I hope we will come through this ok, but stay vigilant and aware of the situation in your area. Things may be going south and you might not be immediately aware of it – until three masked 20 year-old’s invade your home looking for drugs, or cash, or your wife. I am in a heightened condition at all times now, and have taken steps to increase security on our rural property.

Also, the issues of what to do with inmates in correctional facilities will become a bigger one as the virus spreads uncontrollably. As 1st Sgt said, some facilities are already releasing “non-violent” inmates. Some facilities overseas are seeing riots and mass escapes. So, if you live close to a correctional facility stay extra alert to the situation.

First Sergeant

This is the beginning of the “social slide”. When Law enforcement/emergency response starts to erode, you will begin to see more violence as criminals, gang members, thugs, drug addicts, your mentally challenged neighbor, etc take advantage of the situation. It’s a continuum – on one end you have ‘normal’ times, were the law enforcement/emergency services show up to get Fluffy the cat out of the tree. At the other extreme, law enforcement/emergency services are non-existent – which would be a total breakdown in our social structure. We are no longer in ‘normal’ times. We are somewhere down that slope. For now, this will differ from location to location depending on the severity of the health crisis, and other factors. The impact could be an order of magnitude greater in large metropolitan areas.

I hope we will come through this ok, but stay vigilant and aware of the situation in your area. Things may be going south and you might not be immediately aware of it – until three masked 20 year-old’s invade your home looking for drugs, or cash, or your wife. I am in a heightened condition at all times now, and have taken steps to increase security on our rural property.

Also, the issues of what to do with inmates in correctional facilities will become a bigger one as the virus spreads uncontrollably. As 1st Sgt said, some facilities are already releasing “non-violent” inmates. Some facilities overseas are seeing riots and mass escapes. So, if you live close to a correctional facility stay extra alert to the situation.

Read this again.

FILO
                        Signal Out, Can You Identify
                        Je ne regrette rien
                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

BILLY
                        Participant
                          wheelsee
                          Participant

A doctor’s office in the town just west of me was broken into overnight. Per the doc, “no drugs are kept here”. He stated he was one of just a few that were staying open, “and this is what I get.” Stated he would be shut down. So think of those 4th order effects – here was a doctor who was still seeing patients in this (I don’t know his specialty), who is now closed, affecting the healthcare system even further.

Read reports (with pictures) of a rancher in Minnesota (?) who had a pregnant cow killed with just the backstops and hind quarters taken.

Stay alert and keep a low profile.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.