Virginia and Secure Communications

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Radio & Communication Virginia and Secure Communications

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve been lurking various gun rights, prepper, and radical sites keeping tabs on any updates that could affect the situation in Virginia, because it’s getting really fucking weird and unlike how things went down in pretty much every other state when Bloomberg came to town.

Naturally my surveillance includes this forum as well, but I’ve seen nothing about secure communications recently. Searched the forum for anything about encrypted messaging services but didn’t see anything, maybe I didn’t look hard enough.

In any case the golden standard right now is Signal, any organizing I’ve been a part of uses it exclusively. WhatsApp used to be popular but the consensus is that it’s compromised, and I wouldn’t expect the situation to improve as Facebook seeks to integrate it further into their ecosystem. Use Signal.

Here’s a quick user guide:
        https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/how-use-signal-android

If you’re using it to communicate, set messages to a five minute timer and it will delete the message on both ends after the set time. Of course a recipient can still screencap stuff which means you still need to trust who you’re communicating with and you should have separate chats set up so only those who need to know something know.

Only weird bug I’ve encountered with Signal is that country codes (or lack thereof) can interfere with setup, but I’ve only encountered it with trying to contact friends in the Middle East so far so probably shouldn’t be an issue here in the States.

Also, if you know where you’re going, take out your SIM cards and turn off your cell phones when travelling to and from. Metadata can be used in court, as can your phone pinging cell phone towers.

If you want to go more guerrilla than that the old trick is to use a pen and paper, write your message, fold it into a nice little square, write the recipient’s name on it, and wrap it in clear packing tape. If the tape is cut or torn then it becomes obvious to the recipient that it was tampered with in-transit. If you’re the recipient, burn it after reading. Sounds corny but that’s still how things are done in certain parts.

I have seen folks on here discussing comms over shortwave radio, that can be an option too but my experience there is quite limited so I’ll defer that to the SMEs.

This isn’t about being scared of the Feds or whatever but about ensuring you don’t have a pile of SMS messages and whatnot the VA DA’s office can’t selectively pick to make you look like a terrorist or a Nazi to a jury.

I know a lot of y’all don’t like me but this situation is bigger than any of our bickering, and I don’t dislike anyone here enough that I’d want to see them rotting in a jail cell for standing up for our gun rights.

What happens in Virginia now will likely set the trajectory for gun rights going forward, or signal the death of it.

Stay safe down there.

Max
        Keymaster

Many of us have started using Signal. It’s pretty good. A quick search of the interent shows it was created by the same guys as Whatsapp, which is considered to be compromised. So these apps are pretty good, and are more secure than actual sms messaging. But just understand that if you are an actual target of an investigation, they will see your shit. Anything you do electronically never goes away and can always be accessed. We are in a constant struggle for privacy against a surveillance state.

If you want to be super-secret, ditch the cell phone and any electronics.

Robert Henry
          Participant

“Cancel Christmas”

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
            Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

SeanT
            Keymaster

like everything else, RTFM
              understand how it works and do not half-ass your self into a bad situation because of some communication you made with someone. Like Max said, if you wind up in the real deal title 50 crosshairs, you will get got. Signal is about the best option right now for a regular person to prevent snooping/eavesdropping and if you ever wind up in criminal shenanigans, your electronics are gonners and the nerds will have a field day.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Signal is about the best option right now for a regular person…

For emphasis!

Anonymous
                Inactive

Many of us have started using Signal. It’s pretty good. A quick search of the interent shows it was created by the same guys as Whatsapp, which is considered to be compromised. So these apps are pretty good, and are more secure than actual sms messaging. But just understand that if you are an actual target of an investigation, they will see your shit. Anything you do electronically never goes away and can always be accessed. We are in a constant struggle for privacy against a surveillance state.

If you want to be super-secret, ditch the cell phone and any electronics.

Good to hear, figured you might be on it but just in case any newbies hop on these forums.

IIRC every American’s online comms are recorded for the last six months, if you are within two degrees of separation from a member of a terror organization they can record your comms indefinitely. One thing that both parties always seem to come together on is domestic surveillance legislation.

Mentioned the physical notes for comms for those things best not discussed electronically.

Not aware of any man-in-the-middle attacks on Signal like with Tor since it’s peer-to-peer encryption, the exploits would likely be within Android or iOS itself – keyloggers, app notifications, etc.

Phone encryption can be a deterrent but there are a ton of NSA, Shin Bet, etc. in the private sector that specialize in this stuff, note that after the San Bernadino attack the FBI may or may not have outsourced their hacking to Israelis because they couldn’t beat Apple’s encryption. Many modern SSDs have a TRIM function which makes data recovery difficult since it wipes any residual data from a sector after a deletion, but I’m not sure if that’s also used on phone storage.

CommsPrepper
                  Participant
                    CommsPrepper
                    Participant
                  Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.