Video Review: Crossfire DG3 Pack

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Load Bearing Equipment Video Review: Crossfire DG3 Pack

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

wheelsee
        Participant

The genius part (IMHO) is the ability to unzip, providing rapid access to contents, even those at the bottom of the pack.

Hessian
          Participant

The frame looks very promising. Having it sit higher up above a battle belt is very nice.The ability to unzip in the middle is a very well thought out feature.

Looks like I might be upgrading from my Karrimor 45 pack in the future.

DiznNC
            Participant

Yeah Max did a good job here showing the features off. I didn’t think I’d like a center zip, but after working with it awhile, it grows on ya. You can still just un-zip to the first compression strap and work out of it as a top loader for those items you need most.

Max also made a very good point about size and use. I think Crossfire right-sized this thing at 55L. It’s perfect for short range/short duration missions, where you might be out over a night or two. I think the Brits had something similar they called the “Northern Ireland” pack.

I also have and used the Karrimor 45. It will work for overnight, if you pack really light weight stuff, for milder weather. But if you are staying out 3 days, and want something other than minimal sleep/shelter system, clothing layers, and food/water, then the DG-3 comes into play. But, for longer duration missions, cold weather, or mountain ops, then the larger, 85-110L packs come into play.

It really comes back close to our old Medium and Large ALCIE system. The Medium for shorter missions, where the re-supply schedule is every 2-3 days, and the Large for longer (or specialized) missions, or longer re-supply sched.

Lloyd
                Participant

With the zip-on side pouches, the Karrimor 45 works pretty well as a “medium ruck”… but this thing really looks like it is more user-adaptable. From the photos and Max’s video, looks like you could use it for everything from a 20 lb “1-2 day pack”, all the way up to a 50+ lb 3-4 day pack, or even remove the bag and strap an elk quarter on the frame (maybe).

One thing about the Karrimor, for me anyway, it is “good” up to about 35 lbs. More weight than that pretty much sucks with that pack.

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                  Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

Max
                Keymaster
                  DiznNC
                  Participant

Yes! Finally. It. Is. Alive!
                    Does someone have that Dr. Frankenstein meme?

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by DiznNC.
                    Max
                    Keymaster

I think there is a point of clarification in the photos on the new website, same ones I used during the video. I believe that is a DG3 on a longer DG16 frameset? Hence the frame looking longer and contacting the top of the belt kit? You can see from the video that the frame for the DG3 is a lot tighter and does not extend below the bottom of the pack.

@diznnc
                      for clarification?

DiznNC
                      Participant

Yes Max you are quite correct. The DG-3 frame is 2″ shorter, so the bag will be even with the bottom of the frame on the production pack. I should probably change out those pics and show the stock set up. I like having 2 DG-3’s; one set up as a short back with the stock frame, and one set up as a long back, with a non-std DG-16 frame. I loaned the non-std set up to my mate for the patrol.

The std frame that Max shows you in the vid will fit most guys out there. If you have a longer torso, say above 17″ you might want to consider an additional frameset, depending on how you want to run your fighting load out.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by DiznNC.
                    Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.