U.S. Military Issue AN/UDR-13 Radiac Units…for $225

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Chemical, Biological, Nuclear/Radiological U.S. Military Issue AN/UDR-13 Radiac Units…for $225

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      busyguyintville
      Participant

I saw this over at SurvivalBlog.com:

Genuine U.S. Military Issue AN/UDR-13 Radiac Units…NEW for $225

Can anyone with knowledge pipe in with any info and/or the relative value (if any) that this represents?

Thanks!

Corvette
        Participant

Busy:

Nice find!!!!

I am very familiar with this unit having used it in real rad incidents and many exercises.

The Army is slowly going from the UDR13 to the UDR14.
          Since the Army is the primary service for CBRN the USN,USMC,USAF are sure to follow soon.

The UDR14 however only offers an improvements to higher sensitivity which has little use in a military (or prepper) use IMO as this unit is plenty sensitive as it is.

The UDR13 is very high end kit, true professional grade, good enough to be issued to EOD, CBRN anti-terrorism response and SOF units a few years back.
          Accurate, reliable, easy to use, even detects neutrons!

I have actively opposed my command spending money to go from UDR13s to UDR14s.
          It’s issued as a Dosimeter but importantly for your application can serve just as effectively as a dose rate meter (aka “Radiation detector”).

Technically it needs calibrations every so often but as it is solid state unit I never found it to be off even years out of calibration.

(For the prepper who is not worried about regulatory applications calibration has limited importance anyway as a instrument thats even 30% high or low will still serve its purpose 100% for our PoU)

Its a very very good piece of kit that is still current issue in many parts of the military.

I dont remember what the military paid for it, but I am thinking almost $800 or something like that.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Ditto what “F” said, this is the first time to my knowledge that these have been offered to the public.

The current price to the military is $617.

The closest civilian equivelent is the Nukealert ER which has a few more features, but at $750 it is more than most would need.

Since these haven’t been available before I have no way to compare prices on these.

I will update the Detection of Hazards Thread to reflect these with more information and the PDF manual for it.

KI4U, Inc. is the only private, non-government, lab in the nation that specializes in calibrating survey meters & dosimeters.

I will inquire if they plan on doing calibrations on these, although like “F” stated:

Technically it needs calibrations every so often but as it is solid state unit I never found it to be off even years out of calibration.

(For the prepper who is not worried about regulatory applications calibration has limited importance anyway as a instrument thats even 30% high or low will still serve its purpose 100% for our PoU)

Will update Detection of Hazards soon with more detailed information.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

*AN/UDR-13 RADIAC

RADIAC SET AN/UDR-13 Manual in PDF

The following videos depict the Civilian version, but there is no functional difference other than case color.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.