TV series Seal Team

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge TV series Seal Team

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      gatlinggun
      Participant

Anyone watching this?

I just discovered it (yeah, I’m slow) and it is in its third season.

Looks like they have retired/former seals as advisors on the show. Tactics look good. Weapons, personal gear, aircraft, and vehicles all look correct.

The “Go Murica” content is not too egregious.

Overall its entertaining.

DiznNC
        Participant

Yes I’ve watched it from day-one. You have much catching up to do.

You have to be careful with mainstream entertainment. Yes, they have real-deal advisors here, and the weapons, equipment, and yes even some T,T,P’s are legit. But. Two things.

First, is the age old bugaboo, OBE (Overtaken By Events). Much of what you are seeing here is the real thing, but a snap shot in time when things were done a certain way. For example, you are seeing huge command and control being exercised by higher command authority over the troops on the ground. This has peeked during the G-WOT, but the general consensus is that in a peer or near-peer environment, this will no longer be the case. With the new initiatives being fielded by our enemies we no longer own the skies and airways above our opponents. So leaving your radios on 24/7 and radiating all day long will not be conducive to longevity. Teams will be operating semi-independently and using comms windows again.

Secondly, you have to figure out what applies directly to you, and what doesn’t. What Dev Gru does in a certain environment is not necessarily directly transferrable to you. They might have different mission sets, which require different tactics, weapons, and equipment. For example, most of their missions are of the direct-action variety, oftentimes in urban areas. Whereas YOU might be more in the Recce mode, to constantly scan your surroundings for signs of trouble. And probably in a much more rural environment. So the key is figuring out what works for you, not mindlessly copying what these guys are doing. Yes, it’s a lot of fun, and yes that’s what most folks are doing, but don’t do it!

Not to say there aren’t things you can learn from it. As the OP pointed out, their fire and movement, weapons and equipment are pretty good; within the context of that particular mission being presented. But it is entertainment, so there is plenty of drama, soap opera, and hoo-yah thrown into the mix.

That being said, it is my favorite show.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I discovered “SEAL Team” just before Season 2. I am entertained by it. I enjoy Hawaii Five O, Magnum PI, and The Rookie. No the the new Magnum isn’t as good as original, but I still enjoy it.

With Christmas just around the corner I’ll be watching my Holliday favorites! The Die Hard and Lethal Weapon movies!

Great entertainment!

However I will never base my training, gear, or weapons on any entertainment.

:good:

Roadkill
              Participant

Higgins is much better looking.

gatlinggun
              Participant

I just binge watched my way to the end of season two. As I don’t watch network TV I’ll have to wait for season three to end and be available on DVD.

Good advice Diz. As far as TTPs go I know of a really good tactical training school!!!

I found it interesting in the special feature on the props that all of the weapons are the real deal: HK416s, MK48 and MK46 MGs blank adapted of course. Also interesting was the fact that all of the actors insist on always using the real thing in every shot. No rubber guns for them. Also the props guy said that the actors are in their gear for 12-16 hours a day shooting scenes and that certain tactical gear companies are sending them prototype gear to try for the long hours they are using the gear. He said the helmet worn by the Jason Hayes character was actually worn by a SEAL on ops in Afghanistan.

He mentioned the radios they are using are foreign knockoffs of the PRC148 and 156 as the real deal is not available to civilians. I didn’t know foreign knockoffs existed. Are they available? Also on comms is the fact that the actors are actually talking to each other via radio and the sound guys are merely recording the radio traffic.

Good stuff!!

• This reply was modified 6 days, 2 hours ago by  gatlinggun.
                  Max
                  Keymaster

Scott and I are using Chinese knock-off 152’s to communicate at class. Fits right in with military comms systems. Peltors etc.

gatlinggun
                  Participant

Hi Max,

Where did you get your knockoff 152s? Any issues with them?

Thanks.

Max
                      Keymaster

I don’t recall – Scott (i.e. 1SG) knows. China. They work well. But we primarily got them so we could use military equipment with them, which also helps when SOF come through etc. I’m not sure why it would be worth the effort otherwise? Comms isn’t my bag, baby. B-)

rampantraptor
                      Participant

Hi Max,

Where did you get your knockoff 152s? Any issues with them?

Thanks.

Bump, I’ve seen these online and I also wonder how they compare to the real deal.

DiznNC
                        Participant

Same here. Been looking at ebay at different models. They have low power for around a 100 bucks, and high(er) power for about 250. Lots of guys trash them but at least you get a metal housing and can use MBTR leads and antennae’s.

Yeah the techniques, weapons, and equipment are legit. Just the mission sets are different. If these guys had to patrol in the woods for days on end, their shit would look entirely different. We’ve seen a little of jungle patrol in some episodes, but their SOP’s seemed mixed, as to when they’re wearing helmets and BA, and so forth. But at least they had full sized rucks for offset missions.

gatlinggun
                          Participant

The reason I’m interested in the knockoff 152s is for inter-team comms. Nothing high-powered. The fact that military antennae’s and leads is a plus in my book. I haven’t been impressed with what is available to civvies in that regard.

Comms isn’t my bag either but I’m learning.

SeanT
                            Keymaster

The reason I’m interested in the knockoff 152s is for inter-team comms. Nothing high-powered. The fact that military antennae’s and leads is a plus in my book. I haven’t been impressed with what is available to civvies in that regard.

Comms isn’t my bag either but I’m learning.

There is no 1 good answer with comms
                              the 152’s will allow you to use.mil ears and PTT etc but the innards are a chinese software controlled radio on a PCB.
                              Civilian land mobile stuff which would be in the arena of licensed services gets you more rugged stuff like police/fire.
                              The HAM stuff was not ever intended to do this task which is why the accessories are not there but the radios are really nice.

Search this forum for other threads as we have had a few of these discussions over the years.

Something I can tell you is that there is no single communications solution.

gatlinggun
                              Participant

Roger that SeanT.

I want to stay away from the .gov licensing as much as I can.

SeanT
                                Keymaster

Roger that SeanT.

I want to stay away from the .gov licensing as much as I can.

If whatever you are doing is interesting enough to intercept, you will be intercepted…..
                                  basic snooping can be addressed. There are other threads on that.

Since this is a bit of threadjack anyway….
                                  How are y’all getting the CBS content to watch this series?
                                  I paid for season 1 on Amazon prime. 20 bux
                                  they want 25 for season 2
                                  Maybe I will have to start a new thread because the content wars are here folks and they will separate us from as much treasure as they can get.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.