Treating Animal Bites (K9)

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Medical Care Treating Animal Bites (K9)

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have male German Shepherd that was attacked by a group of dogs. He is up to date on his shots.

He has multiple punctures to his front legs, neck, head, and ears (one ear has a 1″ tear).

He was a real mess, very difficult to asses all the wounds.

After determining he didn’t have any immediate life threatening injuries, I gave him a dose of antibiotics, and pain meds with a mild sedative. If you can’t sedate you’ll need a helper and a muzzle to prevent injury to you.

I also gave him subcutaneous fluids (under the skin), vice an IV to make moving him around easier.

I am not going to get into the specific meds since what you have on hand and available references (knowledge) will determine this.

If you care for your K9’s and are into preparedness this is important knowledge to acquire.

Initial cleaning is important to help flush as much debris and help actually see wounds, I used a handheld shower head with body temperature water, pat area dry with clean towels.

Next trim away hair from the wounds and rinse with saline, you can use a syringe to help flush punctures. Then applied a Betadine Solution.

I placed Adaptic Non-adhering Dressings over wounds as I wrapped with gauze.

Adaptic – A clear occlusive non-adhering wound dressing made of knitted cellulose acetate fabric and impregnated with a specially formulated petrolatum emulsion, which is designed to help protect the wound while preventing the dressing from adhering to it.

This allows excellent drainage and makes the daily dressing change much easier.

Bites like this should not be sutured closed as it is almost guaranteed to get infected and the drainage is important. On larger wounds; say over half a inch, can be partially sutured to reduce size, but leave drainage in bottom.

Day 2
        So far things are looking good, he’s taking water and food, wounds are beginning to heal with no sign of infection. Swelling is about half what it was. Dressings need to be changed daily.

Will continue pain meds as needed and antibiotics for the next 10 days.

This German Shepherd will be joining my group once healed and I’ll assess his potential for adoption.

Note: For those unaware I’ve been rescuing and rehabilitating K9’s for many years. Mainly extreme fear cases or dogs involved in bites. Dogs that can be are adopted out, those that are unsuitable stay with me.

Andrew
        Participant

Good work. All of that will work on most other mammals. Much of that is basic stuff to know, but if you are working under protocols, for humans, you might not be allowed to do some of that, depending on your level of certification. Still great stuff to know and might save on expensive medical bills, if medical care is even available. :good:

hellokitty
          Participant

Related topic. Treating dog bites in humans. Saliva of a dog has multiple pathogens that can cause serious infections. To treat a bite wound. Encourage bleeding to flush bacteria. Clean and irrigate wound with sterile water or NS. Bandage appropriately. 50% of dog bite infections are from pasturella family of bacteria. 95% of the bacteria in dog saliva are sensitive to penicillins. Here is a simple abstract as reference.
            https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/633680

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
            HEAT 2 (CP) X1
            FOF X3
            OPFOR X2
            CLC X2
            RIFLEMAN

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

All of that will work on most other mammals.

Other than a good reference for med doses, it all pretty much the same.

Though I normally don’t need a muzzle for people! ;-)

We all need to know this stuff, but you need to know your areas rules for people.

It’s funny in some states as a gifted amateur I get more slack under good “Samaritan” laws than medical professionals. :scratch:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Treating dog bites in humans.

With pretty much any serious bite it’s wise to treat with antibiotics, If supplies were slim. I might try getting by with a topical and wait for signs, but not in a plentiful scenario.

I have a regular schedule for getting medical supplies, I keep a large supply on hand and continue to add to it.

wheelsee
                Participant

Don’t let any of the “expiration dates” cause concern (antibiotics)……medications are like aircraft engine parts – the margin for safety is HUGE (except tetracycline, JAMA 1963, and even these have had formulation changes to decrease). Now strength and efficacy are a different animal.

Please see http://www.emedexpert.com/tips/expired-meds.shtml

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Something I missed until late on the second day were punctures to the interior lower lips.

His jowls had swollen beyond the initial injury swelling. Initially I was concerned about a allergic reaction to one of the meds.

Upon reexamination I discovered the additional punctures.

I ended up adding a supplemental antibiotic which has dramatically reduced infection and swelling related to it.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Update:

His wounds are pretty much healed, a few of them are a little behind where infection had set in deeper. The drainage delayed healing.

The ear that was torn is looking good, it would not be difficult to repair it now that the infections have been taken care of, but it is cosmetic in nature and I will leave it as is. If it was a functional issue I would be more inclined to repair it.

The more difficult part is the overcoming the mental damage, he is inclined to keep to himself and will stay in his crate if given a choice when indoors, it will be interesting to see his reaction to other dogs not part of my group. He is old enough (around 4 or 5 years old) that it shouldn’t be as long term damaging as adolescent or pup would be.

As long as he doesn’t show any unprovoked aggression, he should be back to normal within a few months. Any signs of unwarranted aggression will put him in the 1 year observation category.

DuaneH
                      Participant

Sounds like you did a good job.
                        Question/clarification. Did you have him on ABX as a one time dose or was it an ongoing dose 7-10 days or so?

Also while the current standards recommend not using betadine and only using (potable at a minimum) water to flush even in third world countries, for dirty wounds I highly recommend the one time use of betadine to clean it as it appears you did.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Did you have him on ABX as a one time dose or was it an ongoing dose 7-10 days or so?

10 days, I felt given how long some of the deeper punctures continued to drain that erring on the slightly longer 10 days was a better option.

…for dirty wounds I highly recommend the one time use of betadine to clean it as it appears you did.

I agree, he was a real mess and I believe in doing as much as possible to disinfect the area around the wound after the flush particularly with animals due to the fur.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Thought I would do a quick update.

Physically everything is healed completely, one of his ears is partially floppy at the halfway point, surprisingly not the one that was torn.

He has enough new hair growth that injury areas don’t standout anymore. Heartworm negative so fortunately he’ll not have to go through that process. Several of my other rehabs have come to me with heartworms which had to be dealt with.

He has come out of his initial shell and gets along with my other K9’s, will start testing with other unknown dogs to evaluate his reaction. With other people he is aloof and either ignores them or intensely watches them, unnerving for those unfamiliar with GSD’s, but within breed norms.

I like his personality and regardless of further temperament test results I am leaning towards making him part of my permanent pack.

First Sergeant

Thought I would do a quick update.

Physically everything is healed completely, one of his ears is partially floppy at the halfway point, surprisingly not the one that was torn.

He has enough new hair growth that injury areas don’t standout anymore. Heartworm negative so fortunately he’ll not have to go through that process. Several of my other rehabs have come to me with heartworms which had to be dealt with.

He has come out of his initial shell and gets along with my other K9’s, will start testing with other unknown dogs to evaluate his reaction. With other people he is aloof and either ignores them or intensely watches them, unnerving for those unfamiliar with GSD’s, but within breed norms.

I like his personality and regardless of further temperament test results I am leaning towards making him part of my permanent pack.

Good to hear.

My GSD’s have unnerved some people with that stare. :good:

FILO
                              Signal Out, Can You Identify
                              Je ne regrette rien
                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

My GSD’s have unnerved some people with that stare.

:yes:

I love that look!

Great deterrent too and is multiplied greatly with mine since I have four plus the current batch of rehab cases.

Some cool pics!

wildbill
                                Participant

Love those pics! :good: That look is priceless!

Had a GSD 30 years ago and need to get another one :yes:

wildbill
                                  Participant

Those pics reminded me of my younger brothers two Rottweilers (Tutt and Sasha) another protective breed. Tutt was the biggest male Rottweiler I have ever seen with a head about the size of a basketball but when it came to my brothers two little girls or the nieces and nephews those to dogs could not have been more gentle. I remember seeing his two daughters on occasion fussing at either Tutt or Sasha for something they wanted them to do while getting right up in their faces holding onto both ears and all those dogs would do is give them a big lick across the face.

After Hugo came through Charleston, SC wreaking havoc my parents’ 150 year old home was extensively damaged and major repairs over almost 8 months were required to restore it while my parents lived in an apartment. My brother’s construction company left their tools and materials in the house while repairs were progressing and to guard them Tutt and Sasha.

One morning my parents got a phone call from the town police that Tutt and Sasha where sitting on the front porch and they could see that one of the downstairs windows was smashed. Well after my parents and brother got there they found that someone had decided to break-in and try to steal materials and tools obviously unaware that Tutt and Sasha were there, needless to say there was blood all over downstairs and leading away from the house.

Personally, I think Tutt and Sasha were just playing with them because they could have easily killed them; no two dogs could be better pets/protectors or worse enemies.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Though I prefer GSD’s, Rottweilers are excellent K9’s!

Personally, I think Tutt and Sasha were just playing with them because they could have easily killed them; no two dogs could be better pets/protectors or worse enemies.

I tend to agree with your assessment.

It’s always amazing how such powerful breeds can be so docile with kids yet fiercely protective.

First Sergeant

Your post

LOL, nice pics.

FILO
                                        Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                        Je ne regrette rien
                                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I thought some might be interested in a almost one year update.

This particular male GSD has become like Velcro to me, I can’t make any move in the house of outdoors without him wanting to be at my side.

He has had no long term effects from his injuries beyond cosmetic damage to ears. Still looks good!

He is very stable and has shown not unwarranted aggression and yes I did decide to make him part of my permanent pack which is now five GSD’s and one mixed breed.

zeerf
                                          Participant

He has had no long term effects from his injuries beyond cosmetic damage to ears. Still looks good!

He is very stable and has shown not unwarranted aggression and yes I did decide to make him part of my permanent pack which is now five GSD’s and one mixed breed.

Great to hear Joe and thanks for update.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

:good:

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.