Train Your Eyes

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Train Your Eyes

• This topic has 12 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 9 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 36 times
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      aveighter
      Participant

Just damn! Although there is an element of great fun in training we should never stray far from the realization that this is a deadly serious business. Watching this hammered that fact home as I envisioned myself walking point. The old stones shriveled just a bit. I have endeavored to work harder.

This fellow also has some excellent camo effectiveness videos.

Live hard, train more, die free but maybe less quickly.

Corvette
        Participant

Excellent find!!!

Everyone should do these vignettes.
          The first few I never spotted the guys but then I started looking more carefully at what “didnt fit”.

The last 12 vignettes I found the guy every time, while in the first few I found none.

Everybody should do this its good eye training.

Max
          Keymaster

Well F…you kicked my butt. I managed to only find 7 on this vid. Of course I’d be deceased after the first miss and could only hope my battle buddy tortured his ass for a week since he had the bad form killing me.

On a serious not F, can you describe what method(s) you used or what it was you were able to pick out that help you spot him?

Corvette
            Participant

On a serious not F, can you describe what method(s) you used or what it was you were able to pick out that help you spot him?

The first few I dindt get at all, then I learned to look for indicators.
              anything that was different than the rest didn’t fit, even if it looked innocuous, had to be it.

First I ignored areas that could not possibly have been walked on or layed in w/o being visibly disturbed (tall grasses such)
              Then looked at the remaining shadows and vegetation.

– areas where the tall grass looked somehow flatter leading to a tree or thicker bush was a giveaway
              – a lot of times too when the wind was moving vegetation but this one spot of vegetation didnt move (in a couple of cases that was the vegetation on the guys helmet.) Even if the guy was completely invisible I imagined myself opening fire on that spot.. and thats where the guy then usually came out of.
              – “shadows” that dindt fit and in the end was really the darker area of the guys face mask/headgear. (or shadows that didnt move with the wind.. when the other shadows moved just a tad as the branches that created them did)
              – Rarely did I recognize the actual human shape or weapons shape …it was almost always a shape or shadow that didnt seem to fit in…even if it didnt look human.

Max
              Keymaster

Thanks F. I’ll admit to thinking about the article Max posted regarding the South Africans shooting methods while watching this vid. Of course any insurgent group who utilized such methods and got it wrong would have just announced their presence to everyone within a few miles of their location.

Corvette
                Participant

Yes,..IMO those shooting methods work only if you have at least local tactical superiority.

Max
                  Keymaster

The Rhodesian cover shooting method to which you refer is done as a reaction to contact, and therefore giving away your position by firing is not a consideration. Don’t confuse it with ‘recon by fire.’
                    It is an adaption of the RTR procedure, after the initial R and T, the follow up R is a deliberate 1-2 magazine SOP to shoot left center and right of any possible enemy hiding locations. The intent is to shoot them and kill them in place, not merely flush them. I wrote an article on it. I’m on mobile right now so can’t post it.

Corvette
                    Participant

Which also reminds me.. If someone sees you and you think he is about to shoot at you. stealth is no longer an issue since it is about to get loud anyway yes? :)

M1-Guy
                      Participant

As I watched this I found that I could find the target if I relaxed my brain (meaning not trying to find the target specifically) and looked as F describes above, for the clues and things that don’t appear right and, as I looked from the cameras point of view, for places that would that would be good cover. This is a good exercise.

Max
                        Keymaster
                          DuaneH
                          Participant

I won’t say I found them all, but I found most in part IV.

I have found that looking for “black holes” to be the most effective method and is the first thing that pops out at me when I scan an area. Black holes are areas of shadows that people hide in, darker clothing, weapons and of course faces and the “tunnels” people leave to be able to see out of.

I have also found that looking for “tree cancer” and “BFBs” (big fat bushes) to be helpful too.

One thing that I am constantly thinking is “where would I hide?”

Don’t underestimate the sense of smell either. Everybody stinks to some degree.

I went and checked out his 7 color desert video and did worse on it than part IV

Max
                            Keymaster

Good skills to have.
                              In running our own training, to work on these skills, we did it as two drills. The first was a static observation drill. Find a 50 meter by 50 meter area with concealment. Group splits in half. They have 10 minutes to cammy up, and 5 to hide. Drill lasts 20-30 minutes. Have one of the spotters hold a 12″ x 12″ card with at least 10″ high numbers on it. If those hiding cant read it they are out. Otherwise people find holes and logs to hide in and it kills the realism. The other half looks for the them. It helps if they have radios and one person serves as a walker/referee. Then spotters walk the walkers into those hiding as they spot them. The second drill was a Jungle lane. On a defined trail one person walks the trail followed by the range officer. Hide 12 items , including 2-3 camouflaged persons, along the trail. Leave items like bullet casings, canteens, gear, shovels, kabars in trees, etc. Stalker must find at least 10 of 12 to pass.
                              After that we taught them stalking techniques and ran them through two stalking drills. The entire train up takes about a day as we had some class time and a class on cover and concealment and the difference.

Max
                              Keymaster

As for the cover shoot, I learned the power of it in a David-Scot Donelan class. After about an hour of training hit rates were up in the 95%-100% range, against unseen targets. Mr. Donelan said it was not uncommon for a 4 man stick to defeat groups of 10-20 enemy using this method. Basically the drill was come online, two magazines emptied in the cover area, fire and movement through, 360 security, and a walk through back to make sure no one was playing possum and going to shoot you in the back.

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.