This Wasn't His First Gunfight

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership This Wasn't His First Gunfight

• This topic has 17 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 2 months ago by Anonymous. This post has been viewed 111 times
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

This wasn’t the bad guys first gunfight. He was calm and collected while receiving fire. He took his time and aimed while shooting. He even did a reload. It also sounds like the cop did a reload also.

With all of those rounds flying, no one was hit.

Those of you that have been to DCH know that I talk about vehicles and how on most instances they are not cover. In this case it was. It had to do with the vehicle being long ways and not side ways. More stuff for the bullet to travel through.

The other factor was glass, especially windshield glass. Glass in a windshield is safety glass, designed not to shatter into a million pieces when it breaks. Can anyone tell me what else happens when a bullet strikes a windshield?

In the second video notice the cop backing away from the vehicle? Why did he do that? Creating space. That gave him options but he still had his vehicle between him and the bad guy.

Did you see the car that drove up in the middle of it and backed out? That was the best thing to do. I have seen a whole bunch of comments about how that driver should have just driven into the bad guy and became a hero. Wrong. That would have been a good way to get dead. Maybe he had his wife and kids in the car. The driver did the best thing they could, get out. When you drive up on something like that you have no idea what the circumstances are. Getting in the middle of it could end badly.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

GreenTip
        Participant

When it strikes the windshield it deflects sometimes and breaks up sometimes.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This wasn’t the bad guys first gunfight. He was calm and collected while receiving fire. He took his time and aimed while shooting. He even did a reload.

He even was maintaining situational awareness, not getting target fixation. Watching his side’s and checking his six.

Would really like to know more about his background.

Can anyone tell me what else happens when a bullet strikes a windshield?

GreenTip is correct, but to be more specific rounds tend to go high after penetration. More so with pistol rounds than rifle rounds, but you definitely want to shoot low, the angle of the glass relative to shooter is the factor.

Did you see the car that drove up in the middle of it and backed out? That was the best thing to do.

:good:

The only thing I would add is better situational awareness (minor critique), that driver did way better than average to include backing up ability!

When I see Patrol car lights I really start scanning to make a judgement call on what’s going on and what action if any to take.

Regarding backing up a vehicle. When was the last time you practiced backing up?

It’s a perishable skill! ;-)

Civilianresponder
            Participant

I recently took a vehicle tactics class and we spent a good amount of time looking at how various parts of the car and windows affected different bullets from different guns. It was an eye opener. Even different rounds of the same caliber had much different deflections and penetrations. As an aside I got to shoot a 500 s&w revolver which was neat.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Identified as 29-year-old Luis Cobos-Cenobio

Washington County Sheriffs Office
                Luis Cobos-Cenobio in an undated photo.

Later in the day, a police officer found the illegal alien’s car and Cobos-Cenobio allegedly began shooting at the officers. After leading police in a chase, the illegal alien stopped and allowed police to take him into custody.

Cobos-Cenobio suffered a “wound to the left arm/shoulder,” according to the sheriff’s office. He was treated at Northwest Medical Center and released into police custody.

The illegal alien is being held on a $500,000 bond and has had an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency detainer placed on him.

The following video at time 2:21 shows a brief walk around of Sheriff Department SUV after shooting.

joe m
                Participant

It certainly appears as if he’s had training somewhere, but his cool calm demeanor may be attributed to recreational drugs also. The two bad guys in the infamous North Hollywood bank shootout with LAPD were dropping downers and speed pills with booze prior to that action. If he has had training in whose army? He fits the classic definition of Military Age Male. Wonder if we could find others of his ilk?

Robert
                  Participant

Definitely not.

JohnnyMac
                    Participant

Also notice how the badguy seemingly attempts to improve his position of cover during the reload.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Something else came to mind in this shooting, he had sufficient ammo to not only have the video taped engagement, but to later get into another gunfight with other LEO’s.

Something to consider for those who think carrying extra magazines is too much trouble. Though admittedly this isn’t something the typical citizen would be exposed to.

First Sergeant

When it strikes the windshield it deflects sometimes and breaks up sometimes.

Yes. The point is most have no idea what it is going to do, until you open up a big enough hole.

Different loads will react different ways, as @Robert said.

Joe (G.W.N.S.), roger on all.

It certainly appears as if he’s had training somewhere, but his cool calm demeanor may be attributed to recreational drugs also. The two bad guys in the infamous North Hollywood bank shootout with LAPD were dropping downers and speed pills with booze prior to that action. If he has had training in whose army? He fits the classic definition of Military Age Male. Wonder if we could find others of his ilk?

Definitely fits the profile of a Military Aged Male. Speculation on my part is that he has either received training in a SA or CA Army or more likely through one of the cartels.

I may be wrong but I don’t think it was drugs. It was training.

Also notice how the badguy seemingly attempts to improve his position of cover during the reload.

Yes, he did.

FILO
                          Je ne regrette rien
                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Speculation on my part is that he has either received training in a SA or CA Army or more likely through one of the cartels.

Yea that’s something I need to do some more research on the various capabilities of these Latin American types.

Some are cowboys, dangerous because of their propensity to do violence, but some are at least American LEO level dangerous with a few mid level US Military capable.

Hell even in my remote rural area of interest there have been some low level Cartel guys busted.

Anonymous
                            Inactive

Would be interesting to know which country he’s actually from, that would give us a better clue as to where and/or how he received training. There’s a lot of possibilities varying from country to country in Central America.

joe m
                              Participant

First Sergeant, I quite agree he’s had training. My drug speculation is the total lack of apparent emotion on his part and the fact he allegedly finally surrendered. Why? Surely he faces serious jail time? I’d love to know the inventory of the cars’ content’s and his pocket litter, this might prove interesting.

First Sergeant

Would be interesting to know which country he’s actually from, that would give us a better clue as to where and/or how he received training. There’s a lot of possibilities varying from country to country in Central America.

That would be nice to know.

First Sergeant, I quite agree he’s had training. My drug speculation is the total lack of apparent emotion on his part and the fact he allegedly finally surrendered. Why? Surely he faces serious jail time? I’d love to know the inventory of the cars’ content’s and his pocket litter, this might prove interesting.

A lot of time there is no rhyme or reason to some of these guys, but that would be interesting also.

FILO
                                  Je ne regrette rien
                                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Illegal Alien Accused of Attempting to Murder Cops in U.S. is DACA Recipient

Excerpt:

Cobos-Cenobio, according to an exclusive report by the Washington Times, was in the U.S. as a recipient of the DACA program — where an executive order by Obama gave temporary amnesty to nearly 800,000 illegal aliens.

As a refresher…

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) is an American immigration policy that allows some individuals who were brought to the United States illegally as children to receive a renewable two-year period of deferred action from deportation and become eligible for a work permit in the U.S. To be eligible for the program, recipients cannot have felonies or serious misdemeanors on their records.

Excerpt:

The illegal alien, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officials, was charged in 2015 with a misdemeanor, but since he was a DACA illegal alien, he was not prioritized or eligible for deportation by federal immigration officials.

“ICE did not lodge a detainer against Mr. Cobos-Cenobio in 2015 as he is a DACA recipient and did not meet the threshold for enforcement under the DHS enforcement priorities in place at that time,” an ICE official told the Washington Times.

Cobos-Cenobio was charged earlier this year with another misdemeanor, but ICE officials say they were not notified of his arrest and therefore were unable to detain and eventually deport him.

:wacko:

Lloyd
                                    Participant

Oh, just another “hard-working undocumented immigrant in search of the American dream, who has been victimized by racist America”.

:wacko:

Hessian
                                      Participant

I was impressed by both the attacker and the cop in this shoot out. Both appear to have remembered their training.

Its very interesting that the attacker is a DACA person. Based on his cool demenor and actions during the gun fight I wonder if this guy has been trained state side by one of the many combat instruction classes out there.

If he was trained here in the US i wonder if this might cause instructors to do a bit of digging into their students prior to accepting them into a class.

Anonymous
                                        Inactive

If he did receive formal firearms training here, even then that would simply be a matter of whether the instructors paid the extra money to train foreign nationals for ITAR reasons. I’m not sure what the current law is for illegal aliens and/or DACA recipients purchasing firearms, that might be worth digging into.

Even after that he only had misdemeanors, the nature of which aren’t mentioned. If he did get trained, there’s only so much you can do to prevent someone from misusing it. It’s like trying to figure out which guy at the range might be the next mass shooter.

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.