Testing long term food storage

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Testing long term food storage

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Civilianresponder
      Participant

I have some of my long term food storage that has no dates. Vacuum packed #10 cans. Any suggestions for testing? I would prefer to not waste a lot if possible.

BILLY
        Participant

I sent some items to RL Laboratories for testing. I found that JIF peanut butter that “expired” 8 years ago retained basically all of the protein, carbs, fat, and calories listed as did some barilla pasta 6 years expired. Both were merely stored in a dry pest free pantry. So I’m guessing anything from a #10 can would be golden

Robert Henry
          Participant

Be careful with any “mixes” that include baking POWDER. This can and usually will over time cause the can to bulge. I’ve thrown out dozens upon dozens of cans of product that included this over the years, ALL bulged. Don’t even think about piercing the can anywhere but outside.

Dairy products that were 7-10 years old I would sample one and see, but in general should be GTG if done by a reliable packer and stored decently.

Whole grains, legumes, etc. realistically 30 years or more if stored properly.

Assuming these have oxygen absorbers and not truly old skewl nitrogen flush method?

Brand? Types of product?

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
            Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Civilianresponder
            Participant

Brands like
              ready made resources / Walton feeds
              Perma pak
              Family home Storage
              Future Harvest

Some vegetables
              Corn starch
              Soup base
              Nonfat milk
              Peach apple flakes
              Pearled barley
              5 grain cereal
              TVP
              Etc
              The beans, rice, rolled oats and so forth I’m not too worried about.
              Has been stored in a dark dry area about 75 degrees

Robert Henry
              Participant

Walton/Rainy Day resells for a lot of places.

I’ve never stored cornstarch personally so I can’t speak to that one.

One thing to look at in general is just can condition.

Double enamaled #10 cans is what should be used. Waltons/Rainy Day is definitely good to go. The others you may want to check. A double enamaled can should be gold colored on the outside AND on the inside.

Silver colored cans are cheaper and IME, rust through SUPER QUICK compared to double enamaled cans.

A guy I let use our dry pack #10 canner a decade or so back gave me some extra cans he brought to pack in. They were the cheaper silver cans. The cans showed rust within a few years, meanwhile not far away on the same shelf some (then) 12 year old double enamaled cans looked fine- same storage conditions.

All the products themselves look fine.

Any cans found bulging just toss out, do NOT try to open them at all inside your house or you’ll be cleaning up a helluva mess.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Civilianresponder
                Participant

Awesome. I appreciate your help. We tried a few of the things from a couple of the batches I believe are older and everything looked and tastes fine.

Lloyd
                  Participant

Good info, guys!

I’m sure a lot of folks are like me – just buy the stuff, stack the boxes someplace, and don’t give it another thought.

I have some stuff that’s been stored for close to 10 years… undoubtedly, some of it needs to make a trip to the dumpster.

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                    Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

Robert Henry
                    Participant

Ideally we should be rotating LTS so as to get and stay accustomed to the food.

This is what the Mormoms meant when they stated “Eat what you store and store what you eat.” Unfortunately new “preppers” have taken that phrase to mean store frozen pizzas and pop targs :wacko:

Rotation gets tougher in quantity. For example back in the day I put food up for 13 people in our extended family, even though I didn’t even had a kid or wife at the time. Why? Cause I knew they wouldn’t and WHEN they showed up at my door my “1 year supply” would turn into maybe a 1 month supply.

So you got to factor in extended family that WILL show up at your door when things get bad.

And of course, food has been used as a WEAPON since Biblical times. The trained up tacticool guy with 12 AR’s and one case or MREs is going to get really hungry quickly. When he looks into his hungry kids eyes what is he going to do?? What would you do? Exactly.

Potentially fighting for every meal is not the way to live long, I don’t care how good you are.

Food is cheap….

www.jrhenterprises.com

LittleBigBill
                      Participant

I just sampled some rice I stored* in 1997. I was pleasantly surprised and relieved that it tasted just as fresh as new rice. I gave some to my wife as a “blind” test too and she replied it tasted fine. Then I told her how old it was and she showed mild surprise…I think she was thinking, “Maybe his prepping is not a waste…”

* My storage method for this batch was FAR from ideal. I remember putting a container away thinking I would be using far earlier than this. Basically, I put rice in 2.5-gallon zip lock Baggies and placed it in a thoroughly cleaned bakery icing bucket. No mylar bag, nor oxygen absorbers, just rice in Baggies in a well-sealed container. Then stored in various places less than ideal due to storage space needs. at least the last four years in a shed exposed to the heat of Texas summers.

I don’t recommend this storage method at all but was glad about the outcome. Hopefully, the rice still has nutritional value!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Hopefully, the rice still has nutritional value!

Properly stored it would still have most of its nutritional value for your greatgrandkids to enjoy.

Lots of numbers are bandied about, but even rice stored for fifty years before testing had no significant degradation.

The exception is brown rice, which even if kept frozen is only good for maybe two years.

The longest known shelf life on records are Egyptian wheat over four thousand years and honey that was carbon dated at three thousand years with both still being good.

LittleBigBill
                          Participant

I knew about honey and wheat (I also have wheat berries) but was unaware of the rice’s longevity.

Thank you! :yahoo: :yahoo:

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.