Survival Mindset isn't just for the "Event"

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Survival Mindset isn't just for the "Event"

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Part of the “mindset” is making things last longer, the thought that a particular item maybe the last you see of it without making it yourself.

For example:

Liquid soaps and shampoos. Get some of the foaming dispensers, but do not buy the foaming refills. If you take regular liquid soap refills and fill foaming dispenser halfway with standard liquid then top off with water you will double the life of product and cut cost in half. (you can dilute even more to find what is acceptable to you)

Note: Most foaming soap refills cost the same as regular refills for a given size.

This option is applicable for shampoo, conditioner, body wash, hand soap, dish soap, etc…

Buy things you use regularly in bulk to save money, just verify the math since not all bulk packaged items are truly values.

Sales and clearance items can lead to big savings.

For example despite the government lies that there isn’t a inflation problem. The canned goods I bought in bulk on sale last year is providing significant savings compared to current prices.

By having items in stock at home it allows you to only purchase those items when on sale.

The .22 ammo I purchased in bulk 15 years ago is providing for my current youth training. Baring drastic changes in availability I will be discontinuing .22 ammo from my inventory once expended.

My stockpile of 9mm has saved me a ridicules amount of money in training costs.

There are very few items I will buy if it’s not on sale.

Damaged packaging, I bought a air conditioner at Lowes for 50% off because packaging had a dent, gash, and water stains. There wasn’t even a scratch on unit.

More to follow.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Here is a something that will save a lot of money and will last generations.

Switch from disposable razors to a straight razor.

I’ve been using a straight razor for over twenty years and it will pay for itself in less than a year compared to disposables. My great-grandchildren will still be able to use it!

Learn to sharpen your own scissors and buy quality ones.

This may come in handy.

Mike Q
          Participant

This is something I just figured out this year. A single bar of soap lasted my wife and I 4 months before it ran out. We shower every day. Using those fluffy luffa’s uses a lot less soap than wash rags. Silly stupid, but $15 of soap will last my family for 2 years…

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Silly stupid, but $15 of soap will last my family for 2 years…

Exactly! :good:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Bicycle use?

What trips can you make with a bicycle?

Save money and increase fitness!

I use a bicycle for over 50% of my errands.

I even use a trailer when needed.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Can’t afford a cabin in the woods?

Go old school!

Shanty Shacks and Boats may be the answer.

Build with free materials such as pallets.

The metal roof and metal siding on my cabin was from commercial chicken coop metal roofs built in the early 1960’s. Most of the lumber was from pallets.

Shantyboats don’t have to stay on the water, maybe you just use the water to get it where you are going.

Of course these kids don’t seem to think being on the water is that bad either.

Robert
                  Participant

Bar soap like Ivory stores well over long term. Worse we have had just had to have the paper packaging “shaved” off closely with a butter knife before using. The soap hardened a bit over time. But most soap is probably packaged before it’s cured completely. We have rotated most of our late 90’s, early 2000’s soap now.

LTS of liquid soap is haphazard as the thin plastic in the container usually breaks down before the soap itself does. Makes a mess when it happens.

Multivitamins last a good while in storage and I’ve taken them after they had the colored spots appear on them, though I’m sure their effectiveness was greatly reduced.

Cipro from 2001 was still beating infections as of about 3 years ago when we ran out of it from that time period.

As recently as a few years ago we were rotating rice from 1991 that was good to go. I think current bucket in rotation is from 1997 now. Properly packaged with mylar and o2 absorbers you can expect 30 years IME. I think we paid $14. per 100 lbs. in 91 and it was over $16. per FIFTY lbs. when we rotated it.

Preparing can make financial cents as well as general SENSE :)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Preparing can make financial cents as well as general SENSE :)

Great points and examples.

Many products will need to be repackaged if storing long term, think about Roberts comments.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Clothing and Footwear, now is the time to practice repairing items.

Do you have the necessary tools and materials?

Sewing Awl makes an excellent tool for Boots, web gear, and other heavy duty repairs.

An assortment of needles, threads, and don’t forget a thimble.

Material in a variety of weights and styles.

Consider upgrading workwear with reinforced knees and elbows.

Watch some YouTube videos and practice or consider a class.

Treadle Sewing Machines, both foot and handcrank make an excellent addition to the well equipped Rationalist.

Some of the old Singer Featherweights can use both AC and DC, which could be of use if you have a alternative power.

Yes, there is much more than beans, bullets, and bandaids for true survival.

Max
                        Keymaster

Note: This isn’t Max, but a glitch related to the switch to subscription.

It helps to know how to fix these things also. I bought my wife a Singer 66 sewing machine just like the one pictured above. Looked on the net, found the owners manual and a teardown and rebuild book in pdf format. :good:

Robert
                          Participant

I need a new belt for a unit that looks just like that. The belt looks to be some sort of leather strap concoction.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I need a new belt for a unit that looks just like that. The belt looks to be some sort of leather strap concoction.

Surprisingly Amazon has a good selection of Treadle belts.

They also sell material to make your own.

Max
                              Keymaster

laundry soap. 1 5 gal bucket (one time purchase), 1 5 gal bucket gamma lid one time purchase), 1 bar soap, 1 cup of borax laundry booster, 1 cup arm and hammer laundry soap. Grate the bar soap, render down grated bar soap in sauce pan with 4 cups of water, add 3 gallons of water and borax/A@M laundry booster to 5 gal bucket, then mix in rendered down bar soap when slightly cooled. fill remaining space in bucket with water, let stand over night, ready to use. 5 gallons of laundry soap for less than 2.50 once you got the buckets. cheapest store bought 5 gallons of soap is around 10-15.00. my clothes are cleaner and i can add organic oils for different reason, smells etc. I buy borax, arm and hammer laundry soap and felsnap bar soap in bulk. can be used for dish soap as well. as for inflation, well the 3 pack of bleach at Costco is no longer 1 gallons jugs. the new jugs are now 2/3 gallons. i did not notice until i placed it next to the other Costco bleach 3 pack purchased no longer than 2 years ago. 2% inflation, cough cough, right…….

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

my clothes are cleaner and i can add organic oils for different reason, smells etc.

Excellent point! I am in complete agreement about clothes being cleaner too.

i did not notice until i placed it next to the other Costco bleach 3 pack purchased no longer than 2 years ago. 2% inflation, cough cough, right…

There are many products that this applies, the only way to not have a big jump in price was using this deceptive measure.

The government keeps the stated inflation numbers low by excluding any product that doesn’t fit the preconceived desired percentage! :wacko:

Very similar fuzzy math is used for the unemployment numbers.

Corvette
                                  Participant

It’s a simple rounded leather belt. I used to work for the Singer Co., before it was bought out by the Chinese. We threw away tons of spare parts from Dead Stock for these old machines so the company could write it off for a tax break. Pennies on the dollar.

Corvette
                                    Participant

BTW, what is this shaving of which you speak? Grow a manly beard! ;-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

BTW, what is this shaving of which you speak? Grow a manly beard!

Way ahead of you, but there are still parts of face that I shave not to mention various operational necessities.

:good:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Dumpster diving?

Everything from real dumpsters to trashouts of estates. It is truly amazing what is thrown out at times.

Trashouts have shown a particularly amazing variety.

I’ve acquired working field phones, collector baseball cards, lockbox with silver coins, to name just a few finds.

trailman
                                          Participant

In our area the developments have bulk trash days about twice a year. A major scavenger treasure trove. You’ll see people driving around in trucks pulling trailers grabbing stuff people throw out. I picked up an entire workbench kit once, still in the box.

I’ll also throw out freecycle.org you’d be amazed at what people just want to get rid of or have to give for the asking.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Survival mindset is seeing what can be, vice what is, necessity is the mother of invention and the key to improvisation.

Corvette
                                              Participant

Manual hand tools are a good thing to have. Flea markets and yard sales often turn up bargains. Hand drills, augers, etc. No need for electricity. BTW, stock up on nails and other such necessities.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yearly and timely bump to go along with Robert’s offer to help inform.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yearly bump.

Sitting Duck
                                                    Participant

Fels Naptha soap, Borax, and washing soda is good stuff. It won’t quite get the stink of Diesel and Hydraulic oil out but it’s better than anything else.

An old saying, “I don’t have money for bubble gum.” or Soda Pop or whatever else was a trivial thing that wouldn’t help get someone to where they want to be in life.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.