Steel Cased Ammo

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Ammunition Steel Cased Ammo

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

MVT does not recommend steel cased ammo for MVT training classes. This is due to ammunition failures consistently experienced by students, and delays to training thus caused.

I understand your concerns over costs, and thus I am not ‘banning’ it, although it pains me. Just discouraging it for your own benefit.

Personally, I keep M855 Green Tip as operational ammo, and use a cheaper but decent quality brass ammo for training (55 grain Prvi Partisan, mostly).

Any recommendations for steel cased ammunition are not endorsed by MVT.

Mike Q
        Participant

I think Fred’s heart just went through several severe palpitations. Do you have that AED yet? Fred might need it.

Mike H
          Participant

I would recommend if you bring steel case to class vet it extensively before you get to WV. Actually you should test out all types of ammo you will bring prior to class. This along with zero should eliminate much heartburn during class.

Fred? Fred? You out there? :scratch:

Skittles
            Participant

Fred is huddling in the corner humming and rocking back and forth while hugging his knees.

Max
              Keymaster

This isn’t really a discussion topic. We are aware of some opinions. The MVT policy remains as is.

DuaneH
                Participant

Does that rule also apply to AK’s chambered in 5.45×39 and 7.62×39?

Max
                  Keymaster

What do you think Duane?

Bring a commie gun, may as well bring commie ammo, right?

Did I also mention that commie rifles are also ‘discouraged’ at MVT?

DuaneH
                    Participant

I assumed it would be ok, but I have learned to never assume as it has gotten me in trouble. Your sandbox, your rules and I abide. Plus it is now clarified for future readers of this thread.
                      I actually was not aware that commie rifles were discouraged at MVT. At least officially, but I could infer from your jovial remarks this weekend that you were thinking it.
                      So I have definitely learned my lesson: I will bring my AK that was Made in USA next time. :yahoo:
                      That was a joke.
                      Я предполагал, что это будет хорошо, но я научился никогда не предположить, как это получила меня в беде. Ваше песочница, ваши правила. Кроме того, он уточнил, теперь для будущих читателей этой теме.

Terrorism, the AR15 and on the topic of steel case ammo

Several months ago, law enforcement sources shared with me interesting information about the Pulse nightclub attack and Omar Mateen’s rifle.

After he had fired off his initial magazines, he had his MCX fail. This marked the end of his use of 556 and he switched to handgun. While he held a group of hostages in one of the bathrooms, he made his ISIS allegiance call and, believe it or not, searched the INTERNET about how the fixed a jammed AR.

According to the info I received, the cause of the failure of the MCX was a broken extractor. I was amazed that a relatively high end and new AR would break an extractor. But ….I was told that he was using steel case ammunition.

On this forum steel case ammo has been discussed repeatedly. I have seen steel case ammo tie up rifles and impede MVT classes several times. I have seen it stick in chambers and have to be punched out with a rod. I have not seen a broken extractor result.

I have not been able to independently verify this info. I tried to look for the pertinent police reports online but I suppose that the FBI considers this case an active criminal investigation or something like that. A few OPD police reports are available but they don’t address the spent cases. I could not find good pics of the cases at the scene. We will have wait to verify but the source is reliable. Perhaps another on the forum has a better googlefu.

Broken extractor?…perhaps. Certainly a stuck case could have downed the rifle also. I have read and personally experienced (in the distant past) how steel cased ammo fouls the chamber of a DI gun and certainly could stick… but a piston gun like the MCX? Maybe it was a defective rifle.

Virgil Kane
                      Participant

I bought my first new AR in 2003 and used steel ammo and broke my gun. I didn’t know dick about them at that time and sent it back to Bushmaster and they fixed it and told me the extractor was broken. I then read about the problems about steel and have never bought steel again.

Yes, it will break extractors. Commie rifles are built for steel cases and Freedom rifles are built for brass cases.

Robert
                        Participant

Commie rifles are built for steel cases and Freedom rifles are built for brass cases.

Yes. Saw some brass cased Yugo 7.62×39 ammo go to shiite on the range first day of class- including a squib round. Unfortunately it was in a loaner rifle of mine!! I never have shot the Yugo stuff. I asked the guy why he picked that and he was confused on the no steel case ammo thing. I told him that applied to ARs not AKs and Max confirmed that.

AK users probably want to specifically run the steel case ammo instead of the brass cased Yugo if that is the norm with the Yugo. About 8-10K a year of Wolf steel cased shot through several Arsenal AKs tells me that is the best currently available cheap ammo for AKs.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.