Squad Hasty attack in Ranger Training

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Squad Hasty attack in Ranger Training

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Baldrick
      Participant

Perhaps some here can shed more light on the process shown here. Note, I am not in the military, never have been. This is a documentary, and military documentaries, especially ones about special operations units, are typically full of stuff that I wouldn’t bet on. That said, I had this going in the background the other night and I heard this part and watched a little closer. Skip to 26:00 for the part in question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swxVD_KI_qQ

Basically a squad hasty (?) attack? Guys who according to this documentary could be in combat in a matter of weeks (again, just quoting what they said, I’m not an SME on this) running the same drills as we do at a CRCD or patrol class. I’m not claiming that going to Max’s class makes you on par with the 75th, but it’s a reaffirmation that Max and others are doing it right and teaching proven team tactics. And they were using blanks. We were using live fire!

Max
        Keymaster

Squad hasty attack (otherwise known as Battle Drill 1A) is universal across all US Army infantry units. Some just do it better than others. The key is to master the basics and focus on doing a few key tasks really well. This is the philosophy behind training in the Ranger Regt. Often conventional infantry units get distracted by trying to do too many things and never getting particularly proficient at any of them.

Thomas
          Participant

Not sure what you are asking. Yes, they go through lots of SUT training, that is the purpose of RASP. RASP gets these guys up to standard for the regiment. They have completed basic training, where they learned fundamentals like individual and buddy team movement, weapons skills, etc. They have also completed the basic infantry course, likely done as one-station unit training where they go to basic and infantry training in the same company and they have completed Airborne school. At the point that they enter RASP, they are qualified infantry soldiers and could be sent to any infantry unit for assignment, so, yes, they could be in combat within weeks.

Once they get to one of the ranger battalions, they still have to complete ranger school and get the tab. That is sixty more days of suck.

Baldrick
            Participant

Not asking a question really, just wondering if anyone had more insight in general into that part of training. I mostly just wanted to point out the similarity to elements of MVT training, especially as that training isn’t widely available to civilians.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.