Spray Paint Thermarest?

View Latest Activity

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

I’ve had my thermarest ridgerest for about 15 years and it’s been pretty well abused over my years in boy scouts. I found a good deal on a Thermarest Trail Pro for $35. The only downside is I mistakenly thought it was olive when it’s actually lime green. I’m thinking of taking some spray paint to it but I’m concerned it’s not going to stick and be a mess. It’s made of 50D/ 75D rip polyester according to Thermarest.

Any thoughts or tips?

Corvette
        Participant

Any thoughts or tips?

Why not just replace the “Stuff-Sack” Sleeve it is stored and transported inside of……??? Or paint the sleeve.

Roadkill
          Participant

Dupli-Color makes a product called Vinyl&Fabric coating. It comes in a spray can. You can get it at most auto parts stores that sell car paints. That would probably be your best bet. It’s for dashboards, door panels, and seats. I don’t know how it would hold up being rolled and unrolled. I’ve used it on vinyl seats and it’s worked well.

wheelsee
            Participant

My SIL places his (Klymit) inside his bivy…..said it actually feels better as the bivy causes his pad to curl up on the sides, providing a cocoon……

JohnnyMac
              Participant

@AlbertJohnson It doesn’t look like it came with a stuff sack actually

@Roadkill Thanks for the heads up, I’ll check out that spray paint

@wheelsee I was definitely planning to be putting it inside my bivy

Corvette
                Participant

Because you have to roll it up with the valve “up” or it will suck debris, and it has to be rolled towards the retainer straps, which means that always the same small area is exposed when it is rolled, and not the entire pad. So you really only need paint a small portion of the pad, and dust the end with paint when rolled.

First Sergeant

I have seen Thermarest spray painted. It works. You just may need to experiment to figure out which is best.

The whole thing needs to be covered.

FILO
                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                    Je ne regrette rien
                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Jamison
                    Participant

Put it inside of your bivy, roll the bivy with sleeping bag and pad in it. You can either stuff all of this in an appropriate sized stuff sack, or put it in your kit as is. The thermarest isn’t really exposed this way, or paint, your choice. Play around with it, see what works for you.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.