Spotting scope recommendations

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Optics Spotting scope recommendations

• This topic has 9 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago by JC. This post has been viewed 278 times
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      trailman
      Participant

What are some recommendations for an affordable spotting scope for operations like the recce class, i have a set of Steiner Safari UltraSharp 10×26 Binoculars but what should i be looking for in a scope. I have a crappy Winchester I got for xmas years ago that works for the range but it has zero eye relief and I’m looking for something more workable but portable for the field.

idahocajun
        Participant

I utilize a Vortex Razor HD scope. Have had it for years and it has held up on multiple field excursions. It also has a changeable eyepiece with mildot crosshairs. I utilize it for hunting and shooting matches, my wife utilizes it for birding and wildlife excursions (Yellowstone, Tetons, etc). In conjunction with the carbon fiber manfroto tripod….it’s as good as I could ask for in weight, portability, clarity and durability.

D Close

Used a Leupold

https://www.leupold.com/spotting-scopes/hd-spotting-scopes/gr-12-40x60mm

Was able to find a camera adaptor as well. This has mil-dot for ranging. Nice backup for a laser if you use that. Tripod from Vortex. You may want to consider using a tripod that will support an SLR camera weight if you plan on using that.

T
            Participant
              JC
              Participant

Those of you who have ‘been there’ – what tripod would you recommend for covert reconnaissance? What have you used?

Would a cheap vanguard Vesta VS-82 “table” tripod work? Or would something with longer legs / taller height be needed?

D Close

My experience from training is that the table version would not cut it. You cannot predict exactly what terrain you will have to deal with in your OP. I looked at that model and it seems too short. At the VTC we tried to use debris for concealment and maybe some cover. To obtain a good line to the target and clear obstacles in between, the scope needed to be off the ground. In urban terrain, I would want options and not be dependent on furnishings. A larger tripod allows that. I like a low tripod for a bench. I can dig a hole to lower the larger tripod if I need.

JC
                  Participant

Good feedback – thanks D Close

First Sergeant

We never used anything except what ya’ll are calling a table top tripod. If I remember right, it could be extended to about 12″. I have one of the tripods in storage, I will pull it out tomorrow and measure it.

We experimented with large tripods. They are a pain in the ass and not worth the hassle.

FILO
                      Signal Out, Can You Identify
                      Je ne regrette rien
                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

D Close

We never used anything except what ya’ll are calling a table top tripod. If I remember right, it could be extended to about 12″. I have one of the tripods in storage, I will pull it out tomorrow and measure it.

We experimented with large tripods. They are a pain in the ass and not worth the hassle.

The one I have is 18” with expandable legs if needed.

JC
                        Participant

Because I needed a taller tripod anyway, I picked up a Vortex Summit SS-P. But based on 1st Sgt’s input I’m getting a Vesta VS-82 as well (they are cheap!). I can play with both.
                          I’m using a Vortex Razor HD 11-33X50 spotting scope.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.