SOFTT-W 1.5" Tourniquet

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Med Gear and Kit SOFTT-W 1.5" Tourniquet

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      BrothersKeeper
      Participant

This is my first experience with any kind of tourniquet. I’ve been practicing with it to see how easy I can self apply it. The design of the one I bought is very intuitive and squeezes my arm or leg until the pain of it is quite intense after a few minutes. I can’t imagine trying to self apply a belt or ripped up shirt while I’m bleeding out. I have to thank Max for reccomending this specific item. On I side note, I walk into the living room to show my wife how to apply a tourniquet and I say you have to squeeze the body part as tight as physically possible. Being the good wife she is she comes back with, “that’s what she said.” :whistle:

Virgil Kane
        Participant

Be careful. They make a trainer.

wheelsee
          Participant

What Virgil said……

Since you’ve already used this one for training, consider marking it for training and buying new for actual work.

My understanding of TQs is similar to lifelines in the Fire Department. We train and use lifelines on a regular basis BUT if a rope takes a shock (each Dept had their own definition), it was pulled from lifeline status and relegated to equipment rope ONLY……

Virgil Kane
            Participant

I was thinking more about injury if applying and causing pain, but that’s a good point on a single-use item.

wheelsee
              Participant

I was thinking more about injury if applying and causing pain, but that’s a good point on a single-use item.

Looks like we’re on the same page, but covering different topics. The chance of injury of using a TQ in training is very small but still there (primarily a temporary palsy – nerve damage). This is greatly limited by using material at least 1″ wide. Do NOT use a rope or lamp cord….. :wacko: don’t laugh too hard, you’d be surprised what comes into the ED…..the weirdest was a lamp cord around the neck placed by a “buddy to keep me from bleeding to death” (try keeping a straight face on that one!!)…..and yes, alcohol was involved…..

The primary concept (with a TQ) should be “high and tight”, i.e. the mantra I was taught was “go high or die” and “twist, twist, twist, till the bleeding stops.” So the TQ should be placed high into the armpit or groin, then twist, twist, twist. You should NOT be able to feel any distal pulses (radial, ankle, or top of the foot – find it first before applying the TQ so you’ll know where to check once applied); another way would be checking capillary refill, the skin will blanch and not turn pink again. And yes, it is going to be uncomfortable. Once confirmed, then release. Then switch partners or sides to gain experience in placing on each extremity, both self-aid and partners.

Again, label it as ‘TRAINING” and keep the new ones for actual use.

Virgil Kane
                Participant

My wife is an ER nurse and started her career at Grady in Atlanta. One of the best stories was the idiot asking if they could do a transplant for his brain-dead brother.

Over on BCUSA the topic of TQ came up and one guy said he keeps a section of paracord just for that purpose. I hope we convinced him to use something else. The RATS model TQ doesn’t look much better than lamp cord or paracord.

wheelsee
                  Participant

I had posted on an earlier discussion of TQs but will repost here –

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26630093

the above link is to the Journal of Special Operations Medicine – Winter 2015

SeanT
                    Keymaster

What Virgil said……

My understanding of TQs is similar to lifelines in the Fire Department. We train and use lifelines on a regular basis BUT if a rope takes a shock (each Dept had their own definition), it was pulled from lifeline status and relegated to equipment rope ONLY……

Back in my climbing days, there were 2 kinds of ropes, static and dynamic. Statics were for rappelling and dynamics were for lead climbing and were rated for a # of ‘falls’. The dynamic lines stretch a little when catching a climber. Falling on a static is a good way to get hurt more..

TC
                      Participant

FYI, there’s a Gen 4 SOFTT-W out now.

SOF Tourniquet Gen 4

SOFTT-W Gen 4

Has a CAT-like c-clip for retaining the windlass in addition to the triangle locking ring from before. Putting a SOFTT on your own arm is tricky without that c-clip, to say the least.

Windlass redesigned to be slimmer, not sure if longer. Still 7075 aluminum.

Also the buckle clip is rounded now for easier use. That and the windlass c-clip solves the two frustrations I’ve run into with the SOFTT.

There’s also a $5 retrofit c-clip for older generation SOFTTs:

TRAC Tourniquet Retention Assistance Clip

Code: SKINNYMEDIC gives 10% off and it’s free shipping.

tango
                        Participant

There’s also a $5 retrofit c-clip for older generation SOFTTs:

TRAC Tourniquet Retention Assistance Clip

Code: SKINNYMEDIC gives 10% off and it’s free shipping.

Solid! Thanks @TC :good:

wheelsee
                          Participant

:good: :good:

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.