So You're Tier 1 With 6-Pack Abs…

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge So You're Tier 1 With 6-Pack Abs…

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

This is a post from another forum. It was posted by “leafinthewind”. I think he makes some good points.

His post:
        You’re 200 pounds of solid muscle. You can still hump an eighty pound pack up the side of a mountain without breaking a sweat. You think nothing of pushing yourself to the limit each day, every day. But what about your wife who’s thirty pounds overweight? What about your kids who won’t walk a dozen steps without screaming to be carried? What about your seventy-five year old father in law with the bad knee?

What I’m getting at, I suppose, is the longtime adage that confirms a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. As the saying goes, I’m not as young as I used to be. Nobody is. I exercise regularly. I generally eat right. I practice a myriad of skills to the best of my ability, finance, and time that may one day save, or prolong, my life. Maybe somebody else’s life.

My place of work is eleven miles from my house. I could, and have twice, walked home from work caring my thirty-two pound get home bag. If my wife would have been with me on either occasion, the five hour journey would have stretched to a minimum of double that, probably much longer. It’s not that she’s out of shape (much) but rather because she has ongoing mobility issues due to a car accident years ago. I suspect many of you are in the same boat.

My mother in law lives with us. Eighty-five years old and wheelchair bound. She isn’t going anywhere. Heaven forbid something happens that requires us to leave the house. If vehicular travel were not possible for whatever reason, we would be hard pressed to even remotely consider traveling. Again, I suspect many of you are in a similar situation.

I have been blessed with a job, a house, enough land to survive on for years, the health and ability to continually hone necessary skills, a loving family who understands, encourages, and participates in their own way to ensure that we can ride out many potential storms. But the fact of the matter is, there is no such thing as a “bug out bag” in my reality. It’s all me, and it’s all about getting home.

Reexamine your own personal survival situation. So often I hear “I need more guns,” … “I need more food, water, ammunition,” … whatever you want to fill in the blank with. Can you even carry what you have now if you had to? Do you really know where you’d go and how you’d get there? What about the important people in your life, … do you realize that their limitations are actually your limitations?

So I ask you to give it some thought. You are forging a chain with your own blood, money, time and integrity. But you’re not the only one adding links to that chain. Understand that it will never be a perfect grade eight logging chain. Identify the weakest links. Some you can reinforce. Others you can’t, no matter how hard you try.

What, and where, or your weak links?

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.