Smock, Combat, Windproof to dye for.

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Fieldcraft and Land Navigation Smock, Combat, Windproof to dye for.

• This topic has 14 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 9 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 86 times
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Had my eye on this for a while. Local surplus had them on the rack to try on. This one is a size 180/96 which they had labelled medium-regular. Got it home after a stop to pick up some dye. I like the results.

RRS
        Participant

First class kit IMO, I have one in MTP and its freaking marvelous.

Corvette
          Participant

I have the same smock. Looks good dyed. What dye and color did you use?

Max
            Keymaster

Used a 50/50 mix of Rit tan and brown. I will post pictures tomorrow of a before and after using natural light outside. Inside picture doesn’t do it justice. The idea was to tone the desert pattern down to blend in with ground cover like fallen leaves and dead ferns.
              I really am pleased with the smock and for $40 in brand new condition I think its a steal. I’m getting the trousers next.

Mike H
              Participant

Still tons of British kit in desert pattern out there. I used dark green Rit on a ruck cover and some pouches I have on my belt. This stuff is really nicely priced around here.

Mike H
                Participant

By the way how long did you dye the smock? I dyed my items in a large trash can stirring with a stick for around an hour. Looks like it came out good. :good:

marketgarden
                  Participant

@Mike H — How does the British desert pattern look when overdyed with dark green Rit?

Max
                    Keymaster

Outside in natural light shows the color change much better.

Mike H
                      Participant

marketgarden…here’s some photos of the ruck cover and my battle belt…the two pouches to the right of center on both sides of the canteen pouch were desert pattern before dying. I did hit them with some green camo krylon. I’ve got a British desert shirt I’m going to try to dye next I think I’m going to add brown Rit to the dark green and see how that turns out. Dale brings up a good point… my photos were shot w/ inside lighting and they look brighter than they actually are on the BBelt.

Max
                        Keymaster

I had taken the Missus canning pot and after removing the plastic bits, opening the pockets and zippers then tossed in in. Filled the pot with hot water and ensured complete saturation. Took the smock out and put it in the sink. Placed the pot on the stove. Turned the burner on high and added the dye. Being that the smock is a 50/50 cotton and polyester I added a cup off salt to the water. Brought the water temp to right before a boil then added the smock. Kept the burner on and ruined two of the Missus wooden spoon poking and stirring for about 30 minutes. Then set the wash machine for a hot wash and dumped the pot into the machine and let it do the rest. When it was finished set the machine for a regular wash. Dried on timed heat and it came out with a better fit.

On a side note, I don’t know what kind of thread they used but that Union Jack would not change color.

marketgarden
                          Participant

@Mike H — Thanks for the reply. The green dye subdues the brown camo and makes the whole thing look like a mottled green–nice effect.

@DaleGribble — Appreciate the new pics.

Max
                            Keymaster

Well, its not a cloak of invisibility, but I don’t think it will be an observation magnet in the field.

marketgarden
                              Participant

@DaleGribble I was thinking the same thing as I was observing the color of the fallen leaves in the woods yesterday. All tans and browns, just a couple of shades darker than the Brit desert camo pattern. You’ve gotten pretty close with your overdyed gear.

Max
                                Keymaster

Thank you. I got the idea looking through training pics at another site. They hold regular get togethers and in observing their camo, which they all had different styles and patterns, none of them matched the terrain they were operating in. With the exception of late spring, early summer. Of course its easy to second guess after the fact, but after going through their archives it was a consistent mistake. So I looked around my AO and figured modified 6 color desert (old school chocolate chip) might work as well as DPM desert. I gave Bergmann and Max the benefit of the doubt with their recommendation of the windproof smock, and I couldn’t be more pleased with the result.

Max
                                  Keymaster

Ive been using an old dpm green as well as 2 from DropZone Tactical I have the green and Multicam

Amazon has combat smocks but more pricey than surplus stores. I like them as a replacement for a BOB, you can live out of a smaock if you pack it right and use common sense.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.