Situational Awareness and Security when Driving

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Security Situational Awareness and Security when Driving

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So as you drive around town, do you keep an eye on things or do you allow yourself to go into autopilot?

Do you keep sufficient gap between the vehicle in front of you to allow you to maneuver, particularly when traffic stops?

Do you know your ground clearance for awareness of what obstacles you can traverse?

Where is your air-intake and what is the height to allow safe fording?

Do you keep enough fuel to allow return to your home if fuel became unavailable?

Basic supplies and tools to allow field expedient repairs?

Just a few points, there are many more.

Corvette
        Participant

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

Corvette
          Participant

Yes, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, Yes.

wheelsee
            Participant

Good points…..the other to consider, ESPECIALLY for our younger drivers (read off-spring), is outside influences. I always taught my D to leave at least 1 full vehicle length at a stop sign/light (allows room to manuever if needed). However, the driving instructor chided her for not getting close, enough to where she couldn’t see the rear bumper. I told her do it his way while in class but continue the way I taught her otherwise.

The other is the ability to run over a living thing in the roadway. In her case, i was a turtle but the driving instructor asked why she didn’t swerve….her response – My dad said I don’t swerve for anything (not quite but pretty accurate). I’ve seen too many wrecks where people died to miss a dog or a large bird.

Thanks for the reminders…..

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Yea Wheelsee’s points about our kids is good, I wouldn’t let my kids get their drivers license until they could change the tires in our vehicles.

I started teaching them how to drive as soon as they were physically able to reach controls and see over dash. So by the time they were able to get license I was confident in their ability.

Start kids early with driving, shooting, self defense, first aid/CPR, etc…for me it’s just part doing it right and builds their confidence.

skeets4039
                Participant
                  HiDesertRat
                  Participant

Ya know, I see this thread about situational awareness, security when driving. None of us here should have to read this. It should have been ingrained into your progeny long ago, even before they were driving.

ie. dtr ( 5 yo, looking at how ‘DAD’ drives etc ), (talking to her and doing it) i am gonna turn left here, IN FRONT OF ONCOMING TRAFFIC. yes, we have someone in front of us doing the same maneuver. Let’s watch. OK. So, we do not turn until there is SPACE to get into. If we don’t, big chance of getting T-Boned waiting for space to open up….
                    and so on. Driver training early.

So all the commenters can say WTF or whatever.

It all came down to an incident driving on the big HWY. Some moron cuts right in front of us, going 70mph ( the dtr ,6yo, n me ), big change of lanes, screeching brakes etc . I shake my head and mutter something under my breath. ( I am not supposed to utter profanities in front of dtr, orders issued by MOM ). Seconds after the incident, dtr says, and this is a real quote, “Fucking asshole dad?”. I hold my head somewhat bowed, shake my head, and say, “Yea, Fucking Asshole”. She got it. And more importantly is a pretty decent driver today. As a sidelight, when she went off to college, gave her my USMC Kabar, and said ” not many folks have been shot, but everyone has been cut and they don’t like it. This will speak volumes to someone if they see it coming their way.” She didn’t like that big knife then, but kind of admires it now.

And, she has no intentions of returning it.

wheelsee
                    Participant

HDR,

thanks for the post…though I shouldn’t have been drinking coffee when I read it…..yeah my D has picked up “language arts” her M would prefer she not have :unsure:

AND she also has a Kabar under her front seat and carries a folder on her petite person (don’t ask where, I have, and it miraculously appears). While I would prefer she carry, she’s still trying to figure out how to do that and teach in a public school….so the knife remains.

You bring up a good point, our kids are constantly watching (and listening). Though they see our actions, we need to explain the WHY so they can apply to different situations.

HiDesertRat
                      Participant

Language Arts, LOL. I like it. Makes me sound smarter too, I studied hard. I tried to teach her how to change a tire, realized that with most vehicles, the lugnuts are put on with a pneumatic wrench, most folks don’t have the strength to loosen the lugs, even guys. So added a long piece of pipe to slide over the handle of the car supplied lug wrench for more leverage, that helped solve the issue. Plus it makes a good impact device also. But now she carries a can of tire inflator, sez she wouldn’t wanna break a nail. Oh well. At least she knows how.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.