Signed up for first class, need guidance

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Essential Information for MVT Classes Signed up for first class, need guidance

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      LittleBigBill
      Participant

Okay, after years of trying to get to my first class at MVT (don’t ask, mostly work involved issues…) I’ve finally succeeded in signing up for the HEAT1 class in April 2019.
        Over the years, I’ve read forum entries of tips and such for first timers (travel, accommodations, etc.).
        But for the life of me I cannot get the right search words to bring them up….
        Are there any “sticky”s out there I’m missing?
        Bill in Austin

Robert
        Participant

Come rested. Drink plenty of water every day. Test as much of your gear before you leave home that you can. EXPECT failures of gear and plan for them accordingly. You won’t need a pistol for class so don’t carry one if you don’t want to. Plates (lightweight) are always welcome in class.

Not sure how your terrain is but VTC is the hilliest area I’ve ever spent a bunch of time in- prepare for that. Do the fitness test at home numerous times before hand. I’m 45, not a regular exercise nut and I had no problem with the test this last weekend. I truly feel it can be passed by almost anyone with a slight bit of determination.

Bring your signed MVT paperwork to the parking lot first day and have it ready.

Electronic ear pro is pretty much essential. Howard Leights are cheap and most use those or Comtacs.

It’s totally OK to move slow, just focus on doing the right thing. Speed will come in time. Safety is more important than speed.

You will likely use the amount of ammo Max has listed in the class description, show up with AT LEAST that amount. Have about 20 mags loaded when you arrive if that’s possible. The less mags means the more down time loading mags.

Every drill on the tactical ranges will be discussed by the cadre. Understand that these guys are super passionate about this stuff and that needs to be your focus, not ego driven stuff. It’s not just you on the range. Cadre have tons of real life experience, so you want to listen, take any advice and not get butthurt if you don’t like it. If Richard Petty told me how to drive better, i’d damn well listen cause he’s a helluva better driver than I am!!

Notebooks are great, use them. Get enough sleep at night. I’m a baby when it comes to getting good sleep so I’m often the first to dip out after dinner and this last weekend I was asleep by 9pm most nights :cry: But it is important to be well rested to get the most out of class.

Weather can be sketchy there at times, PLAN for crappy weather. This March’s (2018) Heat 1 class there was some snow on the ground here and there and for a Georgia boy it was cold as hell.

Clean your rifle well, make sure it’s WELL LUBRICATED. Spare parts are handy.

Others will be along to add more in I’ve forgotten. Good luck, hope to see you at class!

Civilianresponder
          Participant

Are there any specific questions you have?

LittleBigBill
            Participant

My questions center around logistics mostly. Meaning getting from Austin to MVT, due to time limitations I’ll have to fly. I suspect renting a car it’s necessary. Is flying in to Dulles Airport the choice, especially with firearm.

Anyone have recommendations on Hotel accommodation?

I have a few extra days before class.Is there anything people can recommend to see or do before the class starts?

I’ll be 62 at class time and as a delivery courier I’m getting in 8 to 10 miles a day just through work. I’ve been following Max and his programs For a couple of years. So I’ve been forewarned of all the necessary PT.

Thank you for any information you can give to help make the experience go smoothly.

wheelsee
              Participant
                LittleBigBill
                Participant

Thank you for the information!

tahawus
                  Participant

Re: accommodations, I stayed at the Koolwink when I attended DCH this summer based on recommendations on this board. I was happy with it, and it was as billed: clean, inexpensive, close to VTC, and a step back in time.

I am aiming to attend that same HEAT 1 class, so I look forward to meeting you.

LittleBigBill
                    Participant

Wonderful! Just curious, where are you coming from? Flying into Dulles? Is rent car only way to go? I was toying with the idea of a Class C motor home (very small) and just staying at the range, but I have to think it through. (make, cook, clean meals, etc. Certainly would be easier to let someone else do that, but it cook be enjoyable to stay in “in the country”.)

Are there many folks that stay out there on regular classes?

tahawus
                      Participant

I can only speak to my experience driving in from NYC metro area. I expect others can chime in on flying in as @wheelsee did above. There are some other posts regarding firearms and air travel that may be helpful.

I can’t comment on the motorhome idea – no experience there.

farmer
                        Participant

You might want to rethink taking a Class C motor home into VTC.
                          Mostly due to the height vs tree overhang.

Max, a Class C will probably be 2-3 feet taller than your truck. What do you think?

1st Sergeant has a tall truck also. Thoughts?

LittleBigBill
                          Participant

I’ve traveled with rifles and such, so I’m not concerned about that issue, unless I get into a tyrannical state by accident….

After a cursory look into the RV idea, I’ve determined a Class B would suit my needs. The Koolwink looks like a good fit and it’s very reasonable. Now I have to check rent car rates and determine the pros/cons of RV vs. rent car/hotel.

First Sergeant

Don’t try and take any RV to the range. There is no where to hook up any RV at the VTC.

Grab a rental car at Dulles and stay at the Koolwink.

Trust me on this.

FILO
                              Signal Out, Can You Identify
                              Je ne regrette rien
                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wheelsee
                              Participant

Don’t try and take any RV to the range. There is no where to hook up any RV at the VTC.

Grab a rental car at Dulles and stay at the Koolwink.

Trust me on this.

^^^^^^THIS…… and consider a 4WD, we were glad we did (it was the same price IIRC)

JohnnyMac
                                Participant

consider a 4WD

Even since summer, there’s been a significant amount of washout on the trails. This has been a record setting year for rain.

Keep in mind, crossloading to the most suitable vehicles is the norm.

LittleBigBill
                                  Participant

Great suggestions for the rent vehicle, thanks folks!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.