Sewing patterns

View Latest Activity

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      gramma
      Participant

OK guys, I know some of you sew too. Maybe you can point me a direction.

My new fella, is hard on his work clothes; mechanic & machinist. I just recently made him a traditional chambray workshirt, from what turns out to be a vintage pattern. (Been awhile since I’ve done much sewing.) Anyway, he’s looking for a Denison smock, the version with a hood. And lo & behold, where ever he saw a pattern for it no longer exists. And they can’t be found for sale, for love or money. To boot – the major pattern publishers have about NOTHING in the way of patterns for the standard issue “toxic white male” who works for a living, and gets dirty and isn’t a 150 lb metrosexual hipster. There are no sources I’ve found yet, for BDUs, hunting clothing, or anything along those lines. I have sources for camo fabric.

If you know of anything, or stumble across same in your online travels, please let me know. I tend to sew for functionality, and longevity of the garment under heavy work conditions… something that’s getting harder to find in “ready to wear” all the time, without spending a small fortune. I’d especially love to find that pattern for the smock. Christmas is coming. :D

• This topic was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by gramma.
        Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Try searching for a “anorak sewing pattern” similar design but a pullover though some may have modifications available.

gramma
          Participant

Thanks Joe; that’s already one option I’ve got saved back. Apparently – like a lot of things – the details of the design of that smock made it far superior to other varieties. LOL. (Read: what do I know? NOT MUCH.)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I suspect the only way you can recreate one will be to dissect an original and make your own pattern.

There are a few overseas manufacturers of military uniforms for movies that may have a pattern. If you can overcome the language barrier and convince them you are not a future competitor. 😉

Good luck and keep us informed.

wheelsee
              Participant

I’ve passed on your question to a friend who does a lot of sewing and homemade clothes….we’ll see

wheelsee
                Participant
                  gramma
                  Participant

Wow. I hadn’t quite realized how long I’ve spent on this project. Obviously not working at it full time! LOL. There was extensive research – then sourcing of materials – etc.

I’m now about 90% done with construction and into some adaptions/customizations to the anorak pattern that was suggested. Conveniently, this pattern includes underarm vents. The intended recipient wears a shoulder holster rig (exclusively). That’s going to hold either a Markarov or FN 5.7… SOMETIMES a larger revolver (.44).

I would like to construct those vents to be large enough for his hands/guns to safely draw through them without catching safeties, hammers and the like. Any idea on a linear measurement as a minimum for easy clearance? Pattern’s ventilation calls for 7 inches, but since that’s a long straight seam, it can easily be larger. 7 inches doesn’t seem large enough for the revolver to ME. The longer length of the anorak would be a hindrance just pulling it up.

DiznNC
                    Participant

Gramma:

This is awesome stuff. I have wanted to dabble in this for years.

The one problem with the anorak design is it doesn’t lend itself well to a shoulder holster drawstroke. If it wuz me, I’d be looking at either a full front zip, or a different carry method/position.

If you want to stay with a shoulder holster rig, I’d add in a full front zip, so you have a good, clean drawstroke. If you want an anorak design, I’d go with some kind of waist position carry, so you just pull up the hem and go.

As an alternative, you could use some kind of chest pouch design, like Hill People make, which works well with a pack.

I too have looked high and low for some kind of SAS windproof smock pattern, and never found anything. The best bet is reverse engineering, like Joe mentioned. You can still get classic, MOD issue windproof smocks, in the older DPM pattern on ebay for pretty cheap. Take it apart and make patterns, adding or subtracting features as you like.

Jay Jays makes an excellent reproduction of the classic, light weight smock, in MTP.

The ORC PCU level 5 softshell is an excellent design as well. Still fairly cheap on ebay.

Or you can go with the ECWS gen III parka (non-FR is lighter) in “OCP”.

The old “Ventile” cotton, used on the legacy smocks, is nigh impossible to find. It was a closely woven cotton which worked very well in the field. I would look at some of the “rip-stop” cammo materials on ebay. My fav is 50-50 NyCo, but the poly-cotton is more prevalent. You can also find the Mil FR stuff, but difficult to cut sometimes, with the material mix.

All of these are full front zip designs, but could be modified as desired.

Here is a “Soldier 95” model wind proof smock, modified.

smock

DiznNC
                      Participant

This one does have the “map” pockets with zips that could be modified to use a pistol in that carry position. Maybe a velcro-in kydex/nylon holster.

smock

gramma
                        Participant

Thanks Diz. I did find a full zip, British SAS smock and bought it for research. I THOUGHT about modifying it, and decided I wouldn’t. At least not yet. My sewing skills have atrophied after one of the longest hiatuses I ever experienced. But, it’s coming back, while my eyesight is starting go – sigh – can’t win for losing, but I’m on that problem, too.

What I decided was the basic anorak pattern, because I DID find good quality original camo fabric. I’ll keep sewing and see what happens.

He’s stuck with the shoulder harness for medical reasons. But I think I have a plan for those underarm vents; it won’t be a perfect solution but then again, the pistol will be in his hand before he really NEEDS it… so this is probably just me overthinking things.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.