Secret Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines with the Elite Warriors of SOG

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Gear and Book Reviews Secret Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines with the Elite Warriors of SOG

• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by First Sergeant. This post has been viewed 99 times
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

I read this book, by John Plaster, a number of years ago but recently picked it up again for a second reading. It’s a great book, giving insight not only to a little spoken about Army Special Forces program, but also some of the small unit tactics they used. I would highly suggest getting this book, there’s a lot to be learned (both good and bad) from the experiences of these warriors.

Of personal interest is also the cultural difference between then and now! Partying (drinking) while deployed? It seems crazy half a century later.

Lloyd
        Participant

Another great book by Plaster is “SOG: The Secret Wars of America’s Commandos in Vietnam”… “Across the Fence” by John S. Meyer is also a good read.

Like you said, there’s lots of good info there related to small unit tactics. Even more than that, just an extremely interesting bit of history that these guys were legally forbidden from discussing until 25 years after the fact. Those were some tough, and almost insanely brave men!

MVT Texas 2015-2020
          Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

First Sergeant

Adding another one,

Uncommon Valor: The Recon Company that Earned Five Medals of Honor and Included America’s Most Decorated Green Beret by Stephen Moore

I am about half way through it. It is the same company that Plaster served in.

FILO
            Signal Out, Can You Identify
            Je ne regrette rien
            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

JohnnyMac
            Participant

Bumping this, because it’s such a damn good book!

Page 170, the author is in the process of training up 10 Montagnard for his recon team. He initially was experiencing some trouble instructing them in tactics, then:

“I acquired some toy soldiers, twelve of which I named, so each Yard and American could see his miniature counterpart. Then I arranged the figures in formations to represent the team and the NVA. In miniature, Bill, Pete and I taught them everything from ambushes and perimeter defense to immediate action drills, which we’d afterwards practice full-size, even live fire. In a few days, the Yards understood all our formations and tactics, thanks to those toy soldiers.”

Sound familiar? ;-)

Andrew
              Participant

More good reads: Anything by Larry Chambers; Gary Linderer; and Michael Lee Lanning.

All about LRRPs in Vietnam and can be found on Amazon.

First Sergeant

Of personal interest is also the cultural difference between then and now! Partying (drinking) while deployed? It seems crazy half a century later.

It will never be written about like it was then but don’t be so sure that things haven’t happened in the past few years. Depends on where you were, who you were with and when.

So I have heard. ;-)

FILO
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Depends on where you were, who you were with and when.

So I have heard. ;-)

True, but not like in the early days!

I remember when someone could do no wrong if particularly good at their job! Hell I remember bar fights still happening and the only consequence being paying for damage!

Times change! B-)

gatlinggun
                    Participant

I’m currently reading “A Rumor of War” by Phil Caputo. He was a cherry Marine 2nd LT leading a rifle platoon in Vietnam in 1965. It was first published in 1977.

An interesting first person look at one man’s experiences.

First Sergeant

Depends on where you were, who you were with and when.

So I have heard. ;-)

True, but not like in the early days!

I remember when someone could do no wrong if particularly good at their job! Hell I remember bar fights still happening and the only consequence being paying for damage!

Times change! B-)

Don’t I know it.

FILO
                        Je ne regrette rien
                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.