Rucks & Fight Lite: A Warning

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Load Bearing Equipment Rucks & Fight Lite: A Warning

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Following on from this post: https://maxvelocitytactical.com/forums/topic/gear-system-philosophy-set-up-use-fitness-mindset-4/

and also from the discussion on the Crossfire Pack.

It’s a great pack. However, I am getting ready to trial it on the hills of WV next week, and it is reminding me of a few things, most of which I wrote about on the above article, and in my YouTube Videos on same subject. This is going to be posted in the gear forum, but it could equally well be posted in the PT forum.

There are many reasons for which I recommend the Fight Lite concept. One of those reasons is ensuring that you are not a “Tactical NO GO” due to PT. The moment that you start planning on taking out a 3 Day ruck, you are dangerously close to being a Tactical No Go.

If you are going to firstly plan on doing any kind of small unit tactics, and secondly plan to go further with load carriage into heading out for multiple day ops, then you have to prepare for it with the PT. If you are planning on the DG3, then do so, but make sure that when you get it you take it out at various weights and loads and actually get some rucking (tabbing) done.

I’m getting ready to do the intro to the next video and one of the things I will explain is that I don’t run anymore due to the effects of various injures creeping up on me. It’s not that I don’t like running, I love it, but I just rick to much injury nowadays. That’s why I like lower impact exercises such as the rower in the gym. When I’m up at the VTC, I usually hit the hills, and most recently with a 70lb sandbag on my shoulders. By hitting the hills I am getting some serious exercise on the uphill without stressing my limbs / knees too much. I don’t run on the downhill anymore, and use it as recovery. Obviously you will have seen me running in some of my videos, but doing short fire and movement stuff is OK because it is not distance running.

I find that this is good for my fitness, and allows me to train despite injury. Hitting the hills at the VTC with that sort of weight is a hard one. So I plan on simply wearing the DG3 instead of carrying the sandbag.

So, get the DG3, but make sure you so some PT with it. If you load yourself down with too much weight, then the following will happen:

1) You will lose alertness.
        2) You will become complacent.
        3) You will be exhausted.
        4) You will begin to take the easy route rather than the best tactical route selection.
        5) If you are contacted while wearing all the gear, unless you are able to fight with it on, you will be a NO GO until you can get the pack off your back. Then, you will leave it there as you try and break contact.

Always try and carry the least amount of gear, so long as you have what is needed for the mission. That is the great paradox of dismounted infantry tactics: you need a certain amount of gear to be effective on the ground, so you will never be truly ‘light’ but you have to ensure it does not become too much.

If your mission requires you to carry more gear, then make sure you do the planning on it and figure out what you need. If it requires the DG3, then you will need to be able to carry it. There will be secodn order effects such as the question of body armor. Time of year and weather will also have an effect – the DG3 is also great to have in the winter where it can easily carry relatively lightweight but bulky winter gear.

DiznNC
        Participant

This. Words of wisdom from a guy who knows. I do two things as far as ruck fitness goes. First I will start each annual training season with maybe 15 lbs in the ruck and add weight incrementally as I go, no more than 10% per week, rough rule of thumb. The other variable is distance. I start with 3 miles and work up to 12. Again no more than 10% increase per week. I also “fall back” every 4th week, giving yourself a break to rest and recover. So the progression might be 15, 16 lbs, and 3,4 miles the first week, just like the old MVT training plans.

I also mix in different work outs with rucks. For instance, you can do hill repeats one day (or every day in Max’s case), the next time you could work on speed over the ground. The next one might be long distance. I mix it up and only do two ruck WO’s per week. With lots of time in between to recover.

So yeah this is a good warning for those of you looking to get into a larger ruck and doing some training with it. Start off light, and slow. Then slowly build.

And one thing I will say. Just cuz you can’t run, doesn’t mean you can’t get a good work out. It’s like Max says, you can be working harder, doing a hump up a hill, than when running flat, smooth ground.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Always try and carry the least amount of gear, so long as you have what is needed for the mission.

For emphasis…

Excellent and timely post giving current forum discussions.

As I consider this DG3 as an option, I’ve been internally debating this very issue. What legitimate uses can I realistically perform?

How can my operational SOP’s be adapted to minimize my load?

I have some thoughts and ideas I’ve already incorporated, but that’s for a different thread.

Another related thought is the new HEAT Reconnaissance course, as an armed Citizen in some extraordinary circumstances I believe the skill sets of LRS/LRRP to be extremely applicable due to the relatively small size teams I foresee operating. Not to mention the Intelligence value.

What is a long range recon, giving the limited resources available?

Giving my terrain depending scenario threat density, a three day recon patrol could cover as little as a few miles.

Well that’s enough thread drift.

Good thread Max.

DiznNC
            Participant

Good drift though it is Joe. I started another thread to explore this more.

I see long range recon as being defined by the limits of your capabilities. The larger the group you have, the more missions you can realistically take on. The farther you can push out your perimeter, the farther you can interdict bad news coming your way. That is a basic concept for me, and I suspect for a few others as well.

This also brings home the idea of a team or small group, rather than the “lone sniper” meme. This is impossible to pull off without a team effort. I think MVT has been in the fore-front of this concept, and initially took a lot of flak from various sources for saying so.

The other tie-in here is fitness. And again MVT has led the way here. I know the initial urge is to load up your ruck, 50lbs ought to do it, and go out and smash a 10k ruck march. But. Don’t do it. Most of us need to get in better shape, and probably lose a few pounds. But. You need to approach this as a marathon, not a sprint.

Back to the OP, real grunts will have fucked up knees and backs from humping ridiculous loads. As Max said, we were young, impressionable, and full of testosterone. You can benefit from that experience without having to do it the hard way. Or the army way. Which is pretty much interchangeable.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.