Rucking Pics

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Rucking Pics

• This topic has 46 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 2 months ago by tango. This post has been viewed 120 times
Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      tango
      Participant

Been doing some backpacking/rucking for the last 8ish months now and I came up with this idea while I was on the trial to take pics of my pack in the various places I go. After not knowing what to do with all these pictures today it dawned on me this would be a neat idea for a thread.

Edit: forum picture upload doesn’t work…
        https://www.anony.ws/i/2016/02/07/Snapchat-5296860608199061005.jpg

DiznNC
        Participant

Hey cool. Nice view. I need to figure out how to upload pics myself. Always kicks my ass for some reason.

tango
          Participant

@DiznNC try using that website anony.ws I actually just discovered this while writing this thread. You can upload your pics, no account, and it gives you all the necessary links. Super easy.

DiznNC
            Participant

Right on dude thanks.

tango
              Participant
                tango
                Participant
                  Lloyd
                  Participant

I thought this thread was a cool idea, but just now getting around to making a contribution…

Yesterday’s PT session – 3 miles in 104F temps:

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                    Team Coyote / Team Rekkr / Team Cowbell

tango
                    Participant

Not sure why I’m just getting this notification now, but thanks for posting @shooter!

Corvette
                      Participant

I thought this thread was a cool idea, but just now getting around to making a contribution…

Yesterday’s PT session – 3 miles in 104F temps:

I often wonder about rucking in dry heat…

Dry winter is my ideal rucking weather.. makes life so much easier..

Lloyd
                        Participant

A couple of decades ago I spent a few years in the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho guiding elk hunts, and experienced temps down to about 20 below. No rucking when it was that cold though, since that late in the season we hunted out of a semi-permanent base camp. I’ve spent some time living out of a ruck, but never when it was colder than mid 20’s at night (and that sucked bad enough).

Being a Texas boy, I’m more accustomed to the desert heat, but it will kill you just as quick as cold – maybe quicker. The biggest limitation is water. It is virtually impossible to carry more than a couple of days worth of water at 8 lbs per gallon when you really need to drink a couple of gallons per day. If I was rucking around here in a mid-summer “bug out” type scenario, it would be mostly in the dark.

MVT Texas 2015-2020

Lloyd
                          Participant

Even here in the desert, it rains once in a while.

Not a “ruck” exactly, but…

MVT Texas 2015-2020

Corvette
                            Participant

what diverse colors for challenging C&C..(the terrain not your ruck)

Bergmann

tango
                              Participant

Rucking in heat in general sucks the big’un. Whether you call this empirical or anecdotal I’ll confirm the information from the other thread about fitness and working out in the heat. If you’re doing it in high temp/humidity gains in your fitness are extremely difficult and hard earned.

What’s Alaska like in the Fall @Ivarr ?

Corvette
                                Participant

Heat with Humidity is one of many reasons I came to Alaska. I had to escape it. It was just oppressive.. Ive hauled a ruck in the heat and humidity all over the east coast. I was sick of it..

Fall here generally doesn’t exist. It goes from Summer to cold and stays cold. I have the heat on already and the plants and trees are changing and losing leaves.. I suspect snow on the peaks any day now..

Bergmann

Lloyd
                                  Participant

…If you’re doing it in high temp/humidity gains in your fitness are extremely difficult and hard earned.

Yep. Once the temp gets up over about 90F, you really have to slow down. Over 100F, the heart rate is up around 120-140 bpm even at a walk, with your body just trying to circulate blood to the surface so it can cool. If the humidity is low, you can periodically wet down your boonie, wear Under Armour type shirts, etc to keep the evaporative cooling going, but if humidity is high, you’re pretty much screwed. I don’t know how guys were able to hump those loads all over SE Asia back in the olden days… Humidity is usually 15-25% around here, so you can get acclimated and learn to deal with it, but you damned sure have to pay attention to the signals your body is sending you or you’ll get in trouble. Been there!

MVT Texas 2015-2020

tango
                                    Participant

Went out for a hike today. Got up at 5:00 and was on the trail @ 7:30. Rainy, foggy as hell, and about 50 deg all the way up, 5.5mi and 2700ft elevation gain on the way up. Surprised myself and did the trip up in 2h10m including camera stops – really made an effort to keep a fast pace. Peak was just shy of 7000ft elevation.

@DiznNC weather today reminded me of the way you described Wales.

Los Angeles hills
                                      Early morning…ran up hill long long time. Wish I had hills like this to train on regularly. ..would be helpful on MVT hills. FL has nothing like this. Motto: train when and where u can …even on vacation.

Original pic too big..here it is resized.

zeerf
                                      Participant

Nice view Jon, good training.

tango
                                        Participant

Bravo Jon. Keep ’em coming guys!

Pinky
                                          Participant

Me and the dog in a 6 miler, full pack. Hard.

Mike Q
                                            Participant

Pinky is a beast! But the dog scares me more…

Pinky
                                              Participant

Josie is my pal. 3YO chocolate lab, trail beast, carries her own stuff and some of mine

tango
                                                Participant

Hope yall are enjoying the holidays…AND STILL GETTING AFTER IT

DiznNC
                                                  Participant

Oh yeah be doing the fan dance next Saturday.

wesmc
                                                    Participant

Sunrise from my training area, Freedom Ridge, WV, near New River Gorge.

tango
                                                      Participant

15.8mi in 5h43m, including lunch. And some context:

osozorro
                                                        Participant

Manitou Incline Wikipedia.
                                                          Climbed 1242ft in .58 miles then took the midpoint bailout. 2.12miles total. 35lb assult pack. Beautiful but exhausting. Snow on the incline and bailout slowed pace at times.

osozorro
                                                          Participant

Pictures are too big to attach.

Pinky
                                                            Participant

Where is this?

tango
                                                              Participant

Where is this?

But I’ve already told you :yes:

Edit: @jdelongvt-edu this was eastern portion of Smoky Mountain National Park, Mount Cammerer and Big Creek area.

Pinky
                                                                Participant

I picked up a Snugpak Bergen for $80. I did a bit of research (reviews, specs, etc) and assumed (wrongly) that the UK based company did not make them in China. The first thing I saw when I opened the bag was a tag that said “Snugpak, designed in England” or something like that, then the “Made in China” sticker somewhere below that in small letters. Disappointing to say the least. Well, I bought it, so figured I would put it through the paces and see how it would hold up. For fitness purposes, I filled it to the max and hit the trails (55lbs or so). I’ve done a few 6-8 milers with it plus PC.

No busted stitches or anything (yet), but there are some suspect looking areas already. I don’t use the waist belt often or at all, which puts more stress on the shoulder straps, so my guess is they will bust or more likely the bottom seam as it is getting all the weight put on it.

Let my $80 mistake support the buy-once-cry-once theory. I’ll continue to use it for a weight bag and see if it holds up.

I like the space, layout, etc. Shame it is commie-made gear.

Obligatory pic attached with my dogs attached. Is everyone staying fit???

tango
                                                                  Participant

After Memorial Day ceremonies

Lloyd
                                                                    Participant

Damn, you live in a beautiful place, Tango!

MVT Texas 2015-2020

tango
                                                                      Participant

Damn, you live in a beautiful place, Tango!

Appalachia is full of treasures.

tango
                                                                        Participant

Not a ruck but got a couple hikes in over the holiday.

• #83316
                                                                          tango
                                                                          Participant

One more

• #83317
                                                                            norinco
                                                                            Participant

In the middle of an all night ruck. I’m also carrying a sandbag as “team weight” in this picture.

• #83318
                                                                              Daniel
                                                                              Participant

61 pounds last night, first two miles in 30:54 (30 minutes, not hours). Hills at the end really slowed me down. Still alive at the last top so kept going at a slower 17-18 minute mile pace. I’m in my 50’s and have taken a long time working up to this point, so I’ll take it.

Thanks to Max for the video once upon a time demonstrating the shuffle run. Makes all the difference.

No pictures, as they’d break the internet.

• #83319
                                                                                tango
                                                                                Participant

11 miles Sunday. Made the trip up in 3.5 hrs – which is reallyyy slow for me. View was worth the effort though.

• #83320
                                                                                  Mike Q
                                                                                  Participant

Tango,
                                                                                    Did you drag Kitty with you this time?

• #83321
                                                                                    tango
                                                                                    Participant

Tango,
                                                                                      Did you drag Kitty with you this time?

Not this time. This is shorter than the one I took him on though :)

• #83322
                                                                                      hellokitty
                                                                                      Participant

:wacko:

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                                                                                        HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                                                                                        FOF X3
                                                                                        OPFOR X2
                                                                                        CLC X2
                                                                                        RIFLEMAN

• #83323
                                                                                        Pewtin
                                                                                        Participant

Doing some PT.

Team Rekkr

• #83324
                                                                                          tango
                                                                                          Participant

@ctpelok is that southern hemisphere?

Contribution below.

• #83325
                                                                                            Pewtin
                                                                                            Participant

@tango: No, still northern, near the tropic of cancer. On vacation had a chance to get an 8 mile hike in with a 1700 ft elevation rise. Took one of my daughters on my shoulders instead of the ruck pack.

Your contribution picture location looks like a great place to go.

Team Rekkr

• #83326
                                                                                              tango
                                                                                              Participant

Morning @ 5600ft

Viewing 46 reply threads
                                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.