Rite of Passage

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Rite of Passage

• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Robert. This post has been viewed 105 times
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Lloyd
      Participant

MVT training is a rite of passage for some… My now 15 year old started training with Max annually at 13. I have every intention for my younger son to start training with Max at 13 or 14.

It is the level of responsibility demanded from an MVT class, and the association with other MVT trainees that I think contributes to my boys becoming Good Men.

Anyway, I think this is something that a lot of other folks don’t consider so I thought I should add my input.

wheelsee
        Participant

And it brings the next generation up……that they may learn from the elders….and that the elders may stay young, at least at heart….

Max
          Keymaster

Shooter: that’s some pretty high praise, I appreciate that, it makes it worthwhile.

I have not forgotten about Texas 2020!

Pewtin
            Participant

Shooter:
              I second your statement.

Team Rekkr

trailman
              Participant

MVT training is a rite of passage for some… My now 15 year old started training with Max annually at 13. I have every intention for my younger son to start training with Max at 13 or 14.

It is the level of responsibility demanded from an MVT class, and the association with other MVT trainees that I think contributes to my boys becoming Good Men.

Anyway, I think this is something that a lot of other folks don’t consider so I thought I should add my input.

I brought my wife there years ago for the same reasons. And hope to be there for heat .5 with my son this fall.

Lloyd
                Participant

The military CAN fill the same “boy-to-man” role, but then we get into the “good men being misused by politicians” etc… that is an entirely different discussion, though.

I think our society has lost a lot of this “rite of passage” kind of thing. Feminization of society in general, the idea that traditional ideas of “manliness” are to be scorned. Anybody reading this who’s 40-something or older will know exactly what I mean. Think about the John Wayne movie, “The Cowboys”, and then ask yourself what modern “mainstream America” would think about that movie.

I have not been hard on my boys, but I have given them challenges as they showed that they were ready for them. 5 mile Run-n-Gun competitions, starting at age 8 for one boy and 10 for the other… And I have EXPECTED them to do their best (whatever that might be), they have lived up to that, and they have more than earned my respect for it. EXPECTING great things is different than DEMANDING great things. (Obviously, where firearms are concerned, safety must be demanded, but you get my drift.)

In all of this stuff, they have had opportunities to associate with no-shit GOOD Men, which is all too rare in today’s world… better men than me. Some of you are reading this, and you have my thanks!

I think all of the above is something that 99% of the boys in this country never get to experience, and it is truly sad. My boys and I are blessed.

wheelsee
                  Participant

Scouting and 4-H USED to provide these rites……

Volunteer organizations also (specifically FD/EMS – nothing like working with a group of 16- and 17-year olds in fighting a house fire). Anything that forces one to look outside themselves, to strive for a better idea, to help/protect others.

It is a pleasure working with the younguns’ who attend MVT……and seeing how a group comes together….

Brushpopper
                    Participant

@Shooter Well said sir, I agree! I’ve enjoyed training with you and with your son, he’s a good young man!

Robert
                      Participant

Great work! The next generation is everything, we have to make sure they aren’t all like mainstream kids, the country will definitely be effed then!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.