Revisiting FLIR

View Latest Activity

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

I saw various discussions started off about FLIR after I posted the Commsprepper video. It’s not like I haven’t written extensively about this, but I can’t be bothered to find and include the links right now. For the benefit of newer members, a bit of a summary:

1) The MVT Shield is not currently available but we will be bringing it back online as soon as MVT Gear can do it. I apologize for the long delay, we do need to have this available, but we have been working on other gear one step at a time. The MVT Shield is designed for static use with an air gap, but can be used in exigent circumstances to wrap around you. There will be a certain amount of thermal bloom if you wrap it, but that may still be enough to fool the FLIR operator.

2) Terrain and vegetation masking will conceal you entirely from a FLIR operator. This comes down to use of ground, site and route selection. If you don’t have good terrain/veg masking, or want to make sure your patrol base or OP is concealed from FLIR, then incorporate an MVT Shield into your planning.

3) Mostly what you are doing with thermal screening is fooling the operator. The system has such good tolerance that unless you can block the signal completely (an MVT Shiled with an air gap will) then there will be something to see. But if an operator is scanning, through a relatively small field of view, you want them to not pick up on a human shape.

4) In the visual and thermal spectrum, the basics of camouflage still apply. Shape, shine, shadow, surface, spacing, MOVEMENT, FLIR, aircraft. Use of terrain and vegetation masking, and while static an MVT shield, will pretty much take care of it. The issue is really when moving or approaching an objective.

5) On a side note, I was discussing with Tommy the MVT Shield. He is a trained sniper and he was interested in developing an add-on to the shield that would take the form of a front screen to be behind, with various loopholes for observation and shooting. This would screen the thermal of a sniper or observation hide from enemy view with thermal. Shield over the top, screen to the front. Add visual camouflage. Will talk with MVT Gear when he has a moment.

6) I f moving on an objective, you have an issue. Movement gives you away. Heads looking over cover give you away. Most of the suits that are on the market are impractical. What do I say in CP?: get the information you can from the furthest away that you can, without risking compromise. This means stay away and keep your body screened for thermal behind cover/concealment. Minimize movement and exposure of your head. In the Commprepper video, the guys did not know thermal was a threat, and were tasked to push the envelope to get on target to see what worked and what did not. It was a learning experience. No training, no fucking point.

7) There are various easy methods to minimize the FLIR signature of just your exposed head /eyes. Wear a balaclava, even a neoprene one (not your whole body). Wear a head and shoulders ghillie (not a whole suit) with screening across the face. If you move slow, even if there is tiny thermal signature from part of your face, you are fooling the operator to not see it as a human conducting a stalk.

8) Ultimately, with decent optical equipment, you should be on a terrain feature away, in defilade, observing the enemy. If vegetation screens your view, then use it if you have to get closer, use the micro terrain and move slowly.

9) You shouldn’t act surprised by any of this. If you had been training, you would already know it. There were spaces on the CP class. Go figure.

https://youtu.be/lFU1sJtGR98

Max
        Keymaster

B-)

hellokitty
          Participant

:good:

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
            HEAT 2 (CP) X1
            FOF X3
            OPFOR X2
            CLC X2
            RIFLEMAN

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Outstanding summary!

Find someone with a FLIR and practice Max’s information. It works!

Try different improvised methods, for example Spanish Moss here in the South works amazingly well with a boonie hat to mask facial thermal signature.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.