Recon class gear

View Latest Activity

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      farmer
      Participant

In the list of required items: Folding saw & pruning shears. Of those that took the class, was a particular length saw better than others? And for that matter, any brand recommendations for or against?

Thanks in advance, farmer

Roadkill
        Participant

I own a small tree business. All of my handsaws are made by Silky out of Japan. The blades are phenomenal. I picked up a small folder for my ruck. It’s the Super Accel Z1Professional.
          I buy my stuff from Treestuff.com. You won’t be disappointed. They also have a pretty good selection of pruning shears.

Hessian
          Participant

Scott made it sound like the class will change from the first class.

I carried a Bahco 396-LAP Laplander Folding Saw, 7-1/2 -Inch Blade, 7 Teeth per inch. It was light and preformed well for what I have used it for. You won’t be cutting down large trees with the saw.

Silky saws are also a good recommendation if it fits with in your budget.

First Sergeant

As @Hessian said above, the class has changed.

It is now a four day class vs 3 days.

There will be a practical exercise where you will use both of those tools.

FILO
              Signal Out, Can You Identify
              Je ne regrette rien
              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

farmer
              Participant

Is there any gear changes from what is listed on the class page?

First Sergeant

Is there any gear changes from what is listed on the class page?

No.

FILO
                  Signal Out, Can You Identify
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

wesmc
                  Participant

I’m with @Roadkill on the Silky saws. I build trails and it’s hard to beat a Silky. I recommend a Pocketboy for carrying in a cargo pocket and a Bigboy in the pack.

Combat-2-Gun
                    CTT
                    CQB
                    19D20 Cavalry Scout 3d ACR Desert Shield/Storm
                    Mountain Biker

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.