Ranger Athlete Warrior Program

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Tactical Fitness Ranger Athlete Warrior Program

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      vagabond
      Participant

Attending this year’s Texas class made quite an impression, meaning a reorientation of fitness is under way, in a big way.

Following on from the recent fitness discussion concerning what type of fitness is truly useful and what goes to athleticism without purposeful application to SUT or grid down, what do ya’ll think of RAW – Ranger Athlete Warrior if you are familiar with it? (A patient who is an ex-Ranger told me about his unit used this program).

The point of the question is to take on board the advice given on the Boards, yet to see how much athletic stuff is useful to mix in for both variety, challenge and simple enjoyment.

I note there is a variety of exercises, but looks like not to much wearing heavy gear which as you point out can be damaging.

For brevity here is the link, and pages 96-101 have a good sampling of the workouts.

https://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75thRanger/content/PDF/RAW Handbook Final v4.pdf

Greg

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I downloaded a copy and will read it later, hopefully JohnnyMac will have time to give his thoughts.

What’s amazing to me is how invested some become in their chosen fitness program. So few seem willing to discuss it rationally. :unsure:

JohnnyMac
          Participant

RAW – Ranger Athlete Warrior if you are familiar with it?

I’ve been at least aware of it. Most of the advice they have in their manual is very sound (a quick page-through I didn’t find anything I disagreed with), and they even on some occasions share some basic research.

Something to keep in mind, is that this is all from the ranger perspective- IE for the Regiment. There is some institutionalized stuff in here, because it’s designed for that institution! Example, the famous “bend and reach”. There’s nothing at all wrong with the movement, it’s just a very “army” thing- part of the institution, that everyone knows, so large group PT can to be run efficiently. Or, another example, is the emphasis/amount of assessments- so that everyone knows where they stand among their squad/platoon/etc (“only as strong as your weakest link”). Assessments are good, but you have to understand where RAW is coming from.

In short, everything in the manual is good, but you need to understand the source (target audience vs “casual civilian warrior”). Also keep in mind that, although the manual is pretty thorough, in many cases they are simplifying things (and rightly so). There are many nuances. Doubly so when it comes to programming. it just can’t be covered over a few pages (pages 96-101).

but looks like not to much wearing heavy gear which as you point out can be damaging

This is correct, even highly conditioned athletes will not do it all that often (once a week?). If you’re already carrying around extra pounds, there is NO reason to do so, outside of ruck marches. I’m mildly overexaggerating here but: If you’re a well-conditioned sub-200#ish athlete, who is relatively young (quicker recovery) and can bang out bodyweight stuff pretty easy, adding a plate carrier is no big deal. Otherwise, think carefully about whether you’re ready for it or not.

Outside of RAW, just generally speaking, a lot of people try to latch on to workout plans as it removes the need to think about programming and IT’S EASY TO SELL. Just like there’s no one-size-fits-all tactical response on the battlefield, there’s no one-size-fits-all fitness routine. The best thing you can do is work with a coach who can program for YOUR needs and YOUR situation. I’m not saying a generically prescribed workout program doesn’t provide benefit, because for the less knowledgeable or time-constrained, it might be the best bet, but I wanted to mention the “ideal” state.

JohnnyMac
            Participant

Also, any further questions or perspectives, I’m happy to help answer or discuss.

RobRoy
              Participant

One thing I try never to forget with training is the factor of age.

I just flipped thru the twitter feed for the commander at the Royal Commando training course for Royal Marines and what they do is brutal, they talk about “30 milers” Count me out.

My goals are to stay limber and to have a burst. What Max has come up with his fitness assesment is IMO a darn good performance standard to attain.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.