Questions on New CCW Class

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Questions on New CCW Class

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

This is the place to ask questions on the new CCW class.

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I didn’t see the blog post! :wacko:

trailman
          Participant

Scott
            I read the blog post. Why only IWB carry and not also OWB. Not criticism just trying to get a feel for the thought process behind it and always looking for a better way to try. I do OWB. Also thinking of my better half what adaptability is there in the class for women, for one she won’t be wearing pants/slacks all the time. (That question may be a separate conversation). Thanks.

cjr1
            Participant

IS CTT a prerequisite for the class?

Although I have taken CTT and CP this year, I have several coworkers & friends who have not yet trained with MVT and may be interested in taking your class. Thank you.

Max
              Keymaster

“I’m here for the comments.”

B-)

First Sergeant

Damn, that was quick.

G.W.N.S-Some of that info is in the blog post that Max posted announcing the class.

I will have the finished course outline up after Christmas.

Trailman, OWB is OK as long as it is concealed. I carry that way sometimes also. As for your question about your wife, that would have to be an entire different class. I have experience teaching other carry techniques, but that is going to be beyond the scope of this class. If you have specific questions, let me know.

CTT is not a prerequisite for this class.

This will start with the basics of gear selection, how to carry, draw and presentation of the handgun and progress from there. This is not designed for someone who has never carried or fired a handgun. They need to have a basic knowledge of the pistol that there are carrying.

I will go more in depth on the information in the blog post tonight. I will go over the restrictions listed and why they exist.

FILO
                  Je ne regrette rien
                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

First Sergeant

“I’m here for the comments.”

B-)

Yeah, this going to be “interesting”.

FILO
                    Je ne regrette rien
                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

trailman
                    Participant

Damn, that was quick.
                      As for your question about your wife, that would have to be an entire different class. I have experience teaching other carry techniques, but that is going to be beyond the scope of this class. If you have specific questions, let me know.

Thanks

First Sergeant

I didn’t see the blog post! :wacko:

Happens to all of us at one point or another. ;-)

FILO
                        Je ne regrette rien
                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Mildly disappointed that I can’t carry my derringer AIWB, but such is life! ;-)

Getting serious, I normally carry my Beretta AIWB, that said very few courses allow it. This isn’t something for my fellow AIWB’s to complain about. Anyone who is serious about CCW understand the potential dangers of the restricted forms of carry listed in the Blog.

Even I consider AIWB an advanced method of carry and not for newer users.

Mike Q
                          Participant

Scott,
                            I seem to remember someone, who looked remarkably like yourself, telling me to take a handgun course…

Along those lines I’ve had to search high and low to find a IWB holster which will actually fit my pistol. I have the XDM 5.25 barrel and 90% of the holster manufacturers only go up to the 4.5″ barrel. Anyways I should get the new holster after Christmas.

My question is this; Is this class going to be offered more than once a year? I know this may be too soon to tell, but I’m curious to see if you guys have gotten that far into the scheduling of this class. Or perhaps will it all depend on the interest in the class…

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I have the XDM 5.25 barrel and 90% of the holster manufacturers only go up to the 4.5″ barrel.

Gunner’s Custom Holsters can make their line up for XDM 5.25 barrel.

I’ve been very happy with mine, here is a link to my review.

First Sergeant

Mildly disappointed that I can’t carry my derringer AIWB, but such is life! ;-)

Getting serious, I normally carry my Beretta AIWB, that said very few courses allow it. This isn’t something for my fellow AIWB’s to complain about. Anyone who is serious about CCW understand the potential dangers of the restricted forms of carry listed in the Blog.

Roger on all above. I will go into more detail about it tonight.

Scott,
                                I seem to remember someone, who looked remarkably like yourself, telling me to take a handgun course…

Along those lines I’ve had to search high and low to find a IWB holster which will actually fit my pistol. I have the XDM 5.25 barrel and 90% of the holster manufacturers only go up to the 4.5″ barrel. Anyways I should get the new holster after Christmas.

My question is this; Is this class going to be offered more than once a year? I know this may be too soon to tell, but I’m curious to see if you guys have gotten that far into the scheduling of this class. Or perhaps will it all depend on the interest in the class…

May have been somebody I know telling you that, Handgun. ;-)

We will see what the interest is in the class. We hope that there will be enough interest to run more than one a year. We’ll see how it shakes out.

FILO
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

DiznNC
                                Participant

Before this gets off in the weeds, I wanted to say “strong-side” carry only (L or R) is the industry std. For a beginning class, it’s the only way to go. AIWB carry has it’s proponents and good reasons for doing so, but it is an advanced technique.

IWB vs OWB kinda depends on you and your ability to hide a handgun. I carry IWB most of the time simply because I have a slim build and cannot really conceal a OWB unless it’s winter with additional clothing layers.

After carrying for the last 10 years, I have concluded that carrying IWB, in the 3 o’clock position suits me the best. And would probably be a good start point for most folks.

I have had issues finding holsters for my carry gun, which I have solved by just chopping off the nose of some holsters. Yes the bbl extends out but is really not an issue unless you are doing a heavy string of fire. In that case, yes, you will burn your ass.

This class sounds like fun and I’m gonna try n make it.

JeffSags
                                  Participant

Truth. The benefits of AIWB or off centerline carry are well noted, but it is not for everyone, especially new carriers.

First Sergeant

The reason for the restriction on AIWB comes down to safety. While it has it’s benefits, as stated above, it is not for a beginner. Also, doing multiple presentations and holstering during a class, it is the one carry method that could prove catastrophic if something goes sideways. As an instructor watching the firing line, observing the draw and holstering of someone carrying AIWB is impossible. Again, as stated above we are not the only place that bans it’s use.

As far as cross draw and shoulder holsters, it comes down to safety on the firing line. I am not advocating for or against. At times in the past, due to circumstances, I have used both. They are just unsafe on a firing line.

Small of the back(SoB). Never carry a gun at that location. The main reason is if you take a fall with a gun in that location, you run the risk of doing some serious damage to your spine. If for some reason you end up on your back or seated, it is impossible to draw. And lastly, when you draw, you flag your lower spine. Enough said.

SERPA holsters-This is probably going piss quite a few people off, but sometimes the truth hurts. It is a piece of junk. You can search the net for the horror stories of this holster, I don’t have the space to list them all. It has two flaws. The position of the release having to use the trigger finger and it has a history of debris getting into the mechanism and locking the gun in the holster. To the point that the holster had to be cut off of the gun with a Dremel. We are not the only place that bans there use.

FILO
                                      Je ne regrette rien
                                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Eddie
                                      Participant

Crossbreed Supertuck will fit all the XDM’s in one holster. This is my EDC with a full sized 1911. The front sight / muzzle extends out of the kydex but no issues.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/HotcakesStore/ProductViewer/tabid/113/slug/SuperTuck-Deluxe/Default.aspx :good:

Eddie

Mike Q
                                        Participant

Thank you. I ordered a crossbreed several weeks ago…

Robert
                                          Participant

If your not overly versed in pistol, I would suggest at least a training rig that does NOT have a retention strap unless FirstSgt. has required that for the class.

That being said, that means you have to buy a quality holster actually designed for your exact model of pistol then. Not any “Slim Billy Uncle Jimbos” loose fitting nylon “one size fits none” holster from Walmart.

Frustration with BS holsters like this has been a main cause of people not doing well early on with pistol work, IME.

First Sergeant

If your not overly versed in pistol, I would suggest at least a training rig that does NOT have a retention strap unless FirstSgt. has required that for the class.

That being said, that means you have to buy a quality holster actually designed for your exact model of pistol then. Not any “Slim Billy Uncle Jimbos” loose fitting nylon “one size fits none” holster from Walmart.

Frustration with BS holsters like this has been a main cause of people not doing well early on with pistol work, IME.

Robert is right on with what he said above.

A retention strap has uses, but not for concealed carry. Retention holsters yes.

You need to spend the money and get a quality holster from a known maker. You need to spend the money and get a quality gun belt from a known maker. You need to spend the money and get a quality magazine carrier from a known maker. That means no Walmart specials, no Uncle Mikes one size fits nothing, nor Blackhawk holsters.

If you are going to be carrying a handgun for self defense, you need to invest the time and money into getting the best that you can to insure that you are ready if it ever happens to you.

FILO
                                              Je ne regrette rien
                                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

He is a few thoughts about this new course and how important it truly is IMHO.

If you have never had professional defensive handgun training I can’t stress enough how important it is.

I would suggest the odds of using a firearm in your defence is much more likely at this point with a handgun than a rifle/carbine.

Everything from basic criminal activity to an active shooter situation you are more likely to be armed with a sidearm.

Remember you will need to survive long enough to use your other skillsets related to SUT and dealing with a SHTF situation.

If you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in a terror type active shooter event you will need to be ready mentally, physically, and with proper gear if you are to have any chance to protect yourself. Notice proper gear is the last thing on the list.

You need proper training to achieve this!

Remember just like SUT, actually pulling the trigger is a small part of the equation.

Andrew
                                                Participant

For those who like leather holsters, I can highly recommend http://www.kirkpatrickleather.com/. I have no connection with them other than that I have used their leather, literally, for decades, and it still functions perfectly. I have duty leather from back in the day and have their SOB, Crossdraw (when driving long distances) and Texas Strongside. All have retained their shape of the years.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

In Max’s recent Blog post “Notes on Handgun Concealed Carry,”Max made a clarification about AIWB carry I felt was worthy of repeating in this thread.

Max stated:

It has been said that appendix carry is an advanced form of carry, and I would agree in terms of safety and competency requirements, but I don’t agree with it in terms of appendix carriers being inherently ‘more advanced’ or ‘better trained’ than hip carriers.

As someone who uses AIWB as my primary form of CCW I am in 100% agreement with Max’s above statement.

First Sergeant

In Max’s recent Blog post “Notes on Handgun Concealed Carry,”Max made a clarification about AIWB carry I felt was worthy of repeating in this thread.

Max stated:

It has been said that appendix carry is an advanced form of carry, and I would agree in terms of safety and competency requirements, but I don’t agree with it in terms of appendix carriers being inherently ‘more advanced’ or ‘better trained’ than hip carriers.

As someone who uses AIWB as my primary form of CCW I am in 100% agreement with Max’s above statement.

I also agree with this statement.

And to add on to something that G.W.N.S. said in a previous post. While the gear was last on his list, if you don’t have proper gear that functions as it should and you are not trained with it, if you have to use it you will be at a disadvantage.

FILO
                                                      Je ne regrette rien
                                                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…gear was last on his list, if you don’t have proper gear that functions as it should and you are not trained with it, if you have to use it you will be at a disadvantage.

I am glad you caught that. I could have explained that better to avoid possible misunderstanding.

Quality gear is important, but it is easy to get sidetracked.

My point I was attempting to make was about getting proper training.

Better to have a $300 handgun, $50 holster, $200 worth of ammo, and this $400 course, rather than a $950 custom handgun/holster and no training.

Can’t buy skill, but good training can provide skill.

First Sergeant

…gear was last on his list, if you don’t have proper gear that functions as it should and you are not trained with it, if you have to use it you will be at a disadvantage.

I am glad you caught that. I could have explained that better to avoid possible misunderstanding.

Quality gear is important, but it is easy to get sidetracked.

My point I was attempting to make was about getting proper training.

Better to have a $300 handgun, $50 holster, $200 worth of ammo, and this $400 course, rather than a $950 custom handgun/holster and no training.

Can’t buy skill, but good training can provide skill.

No worries.

It is the internet, aren’t we supposed to find something to to get bent out of shape over. :-)

FILO
                                                          Je ne regrette rien
                                                          In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

xsquidgator
                                                          Participant

I think Massad Ayoob states it well with his “Priorities of Survival”
                                                            1- proper mindset and awareness
                                                            2- proper use of tactics
                                                            3- skill with your safety equipment (gun etc)
                                                            4- choice of safety equipment (9mm vs 45 etc)

It’s the jockey not the horse, largely. As others here have pointed out, if you don’t have the right mindset and skills, an expensive handgun or rifle won’t do you any good.

I was too young for Vietnam, but from all I’ve heard, the NVA and VC gave us all we could handle without much in the way of fancy equipment.

HiDesertRat
                                                            Participant

Sometimes its the animal that makes the difference, sometimes the jockey. More importantly, you just have to make sure you are in the race at all. I have not fancy equipment, Crossbreed IWB @ 3 o’clock, mounted on a sturdy belt carrying a surplus IDF service Browning HiPower. Been my rig X4 yrs now with my CCW. Did week training at Gunsite in AZ, but was not as concealed rather open carry. Good training nonetheless. Considering change to lighter, striker fired weapon, brand unsure of. Also need to add mag carrier as currently just in back rear pocket. Bad me, I know. Always learning and listening, and here at MVT, a wealth of information from so many. Happy New Year to all.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Considering change to lighter, striker fired weapon, brand unsure of.

Try to get some trigger time with one before deciding if you need to change.

Everyone is different!

HiDesertRat
                                                                Participant

G.W.N.S.

Sound advice. There is a range nearby where I can test drive a few.
                                                                  I owned a Glock when they first hit the shores here in 86 or so. I liked it except thought the trigger was just a little too easy to go boom, especially if you find yourself in an adrenalin type of situation. Otherwise was great gun, fantastic capacity, built like a tank, could drop kick that sucker off a mountain and expect it to function ad infinitum. Anecdotally, in speaking with gun show vendors over the years, most of the incidents of guns ‘going off’ at shows were Glocks. I know not to blame the machinery but rather the operator, but seems to be some connection ( besides stupid people of course ). Anyway, sold it.
                                                                  Love my HiPower, never had any jams, stoppages ever and is a natural pointer and just plain great shooter. Just had to remove magazine safety and get the trigger pull adjusted, added better thumb safety, minimal stuff. Thinking it would be nice to have a lighter weight package on order of 1/2 lb. less. Have not totally made up my mind, so we will see. Thanks for your insight.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…trigger was just a little too easy to go boom…

…incidents of guns ‘going off’ at shows were Glocks.

Your correct that it’s the operator, the Glock trigger I would say has learning curve to it and I believe if that’s what you started with, it would be easier. Being used to a typical double action trigger before switching to a Glock compounds this initially until fully transitioned IMHO.

My CCW life started with a revolver, then moved to a 1911, and finally my current Beretta M9. My revolver experience made the Beretta trigger easy to learn.

Glock’s are a fine handgun and in some ways better than my M9, but I really don’t want to learn a new trigger (for CCW use, no problem target shooting). For me the Glock’s superior durability is not enough for me to justify changing.

First Sergeant

I’ll echo what G.W.N.S. said. If you can, try to get some trigger time on the ones you are thinking about.

While you have a damned good gun as a carry piece now, I know what you mean about going to something lighter. I carried a Colt 1911 in .45 ACP for years as a CCW gun. As I got older, a lighter gun in 9MM made more sense. Not to mention the fact that I was able to increase how much ammo I could carry. I ended up going with an HK P30L V1(LEM), a hammer fired pistol. One of the main reasons was that the trigger pull was the exact same every single time.

I have never been a Glock fan, just didn’t like the way the felt in my hand. The one gun that may get me to change to a striker fired is the HK VP9. I finally got a chance to shoot one and to me, the trigger and the way it shot was better than a Glock.

And the lack of training is THE main factor in guns going off when they shouldn’t.

FILO
                                                                      Je ne regrette rien
                                                                      In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

First Sergeant

I guess it wasn’t clear enough in the equipment list for the class. The magazines referred to were the number of magazines, by type, to bring to the class.

Did anybody else have a problem understanding that?
                                                                        That is an honest question that I would like some honest feedback to, not some smart ass response.

FILO
                                                                        Je ne regrette rien
                                                                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)
                                                                        Moderator

Did anybody else have a problem understanding that?

It seemed clear to me, but maybe some aren’t as fluent in the terminology.

• #75577
                                                                          Max
                                                                          Keymaster

(Not Max, a glitch in the changeover)

I originally had a question on the magazines as I thought it was the type and capacity, but I am tracking now, thanks for clarification
                                                                            Thanks

• #75578
                                                                            First Sergeant
                                                                            Moderator

I am bumping this back to the top.

Anyone else have any questions concerning this class?

FILO
                                                                              Je ne regrette rien
                                                                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

• #75579
                                                                              rcolburn
                                                                              Participant

Good afternoon First Sergeant,

I’d like to enroll in one of the CCW classes this fall, but being totally new to concealed carry, I was wondering of you might suggest a decent brand of holster for a Sig 226? I understand the Sig may not be the best weapon for concealed carry, given its size, but its what I own at the moment and I’d like to get going with the training. I’m an alumni of CRCD and CP, and do have lots of experience with the Sig.

Thanks a bunch for your input.

• #75580
                                                                                First Sergeant
                                                                                Moderator

I’d like to enroll in one of the CCW classes this fall, but being totally new to concealed carry, I was wondering of you might suggest a decent brand of holster for a Sig 226? I understand the Sig may not be the best weapon for concealed carry, given its size, but its what I own at the moment and I’d like to get going with the training. I’m an alumni of CRCD and CP, and do have lots of experience with the Sig.

Thanks a bunch for your input.

The SIG 226 is really no bigger than the HK that I carry. It really comes down to taking the time to learn how to conceal it. I carry my HK year round.

I use a Raven Concealment Phantom for IWB. It can also be configured for OWB use. During colder months when it is easier to conceal a handgun under jackets, I will sometimes use a Safariland ALS.

GCode also makes good holsters.

On the cheaper side, I know of several that use and recommend AlienGear. Hope this helps.

A good gun belt is a must have also.

FILO
                                                                                  Je ne regrette rien
                                                                                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

• #75581
                                                                                  hellokitty
                                                                                  Participant

1

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                                                                                    HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                                                                                    FOF X3
                                                                                    OPFOR X2
                                                                                    CLC X2
                                                                                    RIFLEMAN

• #75582
                                                                                    SeanT
                                                                                    Keymaster

Thanks a bunch for your input…

A good gun belt is a must have also.

Seriously true about the belt. get a quality gun belt. Plenty of options if you look. If you can get away with not needing dressy leather, I can recommend the 5.11 trainer belt.
                                                                                      http://www.511tactical.com/trainer-belt-1-12-wide.html
                                                                                      shop around for price. I have worn this belt almost every day for more than 7 years. It very comfortably holds my XD sub compact in a quality pancake slide type. I don’t notice the gun. rock solid setup.
                                                                                      Stiff enough for a paddle holster and wide enough for IWB stuff.

I actually have used the buckle ring to clip in when I was up a ladder so don’t scoff at that.

• #75583
                                                                                      rcolburn
                                                                                      Participant

Good morning First Sergeant,

Thanks for the feedback – much appreciated!! I’ll take a look at your suggestions and find a combo which works for me. Looking forward to meeting you at the CCW class.

Best regards,

Bob

• #75584
                                                                                        Mike Q
                                                                                        Participant

I would suggest the Ares belts. I used a 5.11 1.5″ web belt for the last CCW class. However I had a plastic buckle, not the metal buckle in Sean’s example. The problem with the light weight web belt is racking your sidearm on the belt. The belt I had, and the belt Sean is proposing is too light weight to accomplish this. I used the holster edge on my strong side but had to use the belt buckle for weak side work. After the CCW class by 1st Sergeant I went out and bought an ares belt and have worn it every single day since then.

1st Sergeant talks about all of the belt options, along with pistol holsters, mag holsters, IFAK EDC, etc. in the Active Shooter CCW class. It’s up to you what you want to buy, but I didn’t buy anything special for the class knowing that whatever I bought may be money wasted. You don’t know what you don’t know.

However, I would highly recommend the Ares belts. they are pricey though $75 to $100…

• #75585
                                                                                          wheelsee
                                                                                          Participant

Would a .380 be acceptable?? My daughter is signed up for the July class and she is petite frame with small hands. She has taken a liking to the Glock 42…..

• #75586
                                                                                            Roadkill
                                                                                            Participant

Wheelsee, have her try the Glock 43. The ammo is cheaper and the size is the same. The difference in recoil is negligible. My wife is 5’2” and that’s what she carries. Oh, the 43 is 9mm.

• #75587
                                                                                              wheelsee
                                                                                              Participant

Wheelsee, have her try the Glock 43. The ammo is cheaper and the size is the same. The difference in recoil is negligible. My wife is 5’2” and that’s what she carries. Oh, the 43 is 9mm.

Thanks…. We were at the NRA Convention and she got to handle a LOT of handguns…..yes, she liked the 43 also….now its just a matter of going to a range and renting several to see which works best for her actually firing…..

• #75588
                                                                                                First Sergeant
                                                                                                Moderator

No .380’s. I have seen to many be finicky with ammo to allow them in class.

As was recommended above, go with the 43. Make sure she has plenty of mags.

As far as small framed females go, my wife is 5′ tall. She carries an HK P30SK V1 in 9MM. See if they have those to rent.

Couple of reasons for the HK recommendation, it holds more rounds than the Glock and the grip is more configurable to different size hands than the Glock could ever hope to be.

FILO
                                                                                                  Je ne regrette rien
                                                                                                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

• #75589
                                                                                                  Civilianresponder
                                                                                                  Participant

Stealthgear USA makes some really great holsters. They are not cheap but are comfortable and they have great customer service.

• #75590
                                                                                                    JohnnyMac
                                                                                                    Participant

For what it’s worth, the only centerfire pistol my wife has liked shooting is the CZ SP01 Tactical I got for her in 9mm. It’s full size, metal frame mitigates quite a bit of recoil.

Viewing 47 reply threads
                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.