Processing meat at home.

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Processing meat at home.

• This topic has 19 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 1 week, 3 days ago by fabio. This post has been viewed 373 times
Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So the price of meat is going up, imagine that! ;-)

Buy or barter your favorite critter and get to work.

Plenty of YouTube videos that will take you step by step through the process.

This is just to get you thinking outside the box.

Buy a few books and tools to make it easier while you can.

If you live near places with no place to currently take to market, you might even get a deal.

Brian Gale
        Participant

One of our clients, Hi Mountain Seasonings (himtnjerky.com), makes incredible jerky, sausage and snacking stick kits. They are very easy to use and come in lots of flavors.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Many ways to produce sausage and jerky.

Consider exploring different options that would work for you.

Many old school methods of preserving meat beyond canning and dehydration.

JohnnyMac
            Participant

Joe, I can’t help but picture you walking a gator on a leash
              ;-)

Roadkill
              Participant

I can a lot of meat. It’s very simple. I use the wide mouth quart jars. It’s easier to put stuff in. The All American canner is the best canner on the market. It closes metal on metal, others seal with a rubber ring. It is pricey but well worth it.
                I’m still eating canned meat from 2014.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Joe, I can’t help but picture you walking a gator on a leash

Never could get one to heel worth a damn! B-)

I can a lot of meat. It’s very simple.

A skill worth knowing! :good:

wheelsee
                  Participant

I’ve got 2 different canners but fall back to the “All American Pressure Canner” due to no gaskets to worry about. More expensive? Yes, but worth it in my book (replacing the gaskets on my 1st pressure canner has already made up the difference)

https://www.allamericancanner.com

wheelsee
                    Participant
                      fabio
                      Participant

I’m already a fan of wide mouth quart jars for other things. It looks like model 915 is the better model for me? Are there any differences besides size?
                        https://www.allamericancanner.com/All-American-Pressure-Canners.htm

Roadkill
                        Participant

I have the 915 and the 930.
                          It’s nice to have both large and small. I obviously didn’t buy them together but separately over years. To be able to do a large batch really helps if you are doing large quantities. The small heats up quicker.
                          If I could only have one it would be the 915. The large is not as handy.
                          If all you do is large batch, go big.

wheelsee
                          Participant

I use the 915.

trailman
                            Participant

Its probably the easiest of all the canning you can do. Per what Joe said. If you don’t hunt hook up with a deer hunting buddy that butchers his own. We bone ours out. Its easier and FWIW a deer is a pig is a cow. Its just a matter of size. My recent goal is to learn more on the charcuterie side of preservation, and plain old salt curing of meat. I think this is the most important skill that will serve you in a grid down situation and its dirt cheap.

I pressure can a lot of meat every year. For future planning, Easters hams are on sale = a couple of cases of ham and bean soup. Thanksgiving turkeys go for .30 a pound I always get three or four and toss them in the freezer then can them over Christmas in pints of meat and quarts of stock.

FWIW I’ve always loved this guy, start it at 6 minutes.

First Sergeant

For those of you with the All American, do you use them on a flat glass top stove?

The descriptions for all say not to use them because it may damage the stove.

FILO
                                Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                Je ne regrette rien
                                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

trailman
                                Participant

They say they can damage the stove but some stove model’s say they can take a canner. What I’ve found with my presto is that the glass tops don’t put out enough heat to drive the larger canners
                                  I have a 16 quart presto and have to essentially preheat it. I tried a 24qt? One and couldn’t get it to boil.

Roadkill
                                  Participant

I only use gas flame cook tops. Both indoors and for outdoors I have s camp chef that works with propane.

Robert Henry
                                    Participant

Over the years we’ve butchered tons of rabbits, chickens, some goats and lots of deer. No one “taught” me. I bought a small stock and game butchering book in the early 90’s. It still has blood on it from the first time I butchered rabbits with it cracked open LOL.

You can raise a ton of meat even in the suburbs with rabbits. They are quiet and don’t really smell if you take good care of them. Major downside to rabbit if they don’t forage for themselves and stray dogs and cats love to prey on them.

Also smaller animals you can keep “on the hoof” till your ready to eat. Want chicken tonight? Grab some wring it’s neck and start plucking. A cow or larger animal will require refrigeration or at the very least cooler weather and a lot of non stop work. We used to get deer for free from a combatives student. He liked to shoot them but he didn’t eat them. We would often get calls at 10:30 at night and I would drive to the other end of the county to pick them up. Thankfully I had a willing family and we had built an OK butchering setup. We would start a fire in a little metal grill, hoist the deer up and start butchering. My wife and son would process hamburger while I made other cuts. Dogs would eat the offal.

A decent butchering setup helps like crazy. I put an ATV winch up in the rafters of an open air building. We can back right up to the building, hook up to the winch and winch the animal up to a higher working platform. Working at comfortable heights is important with larger animals. The little padded non slip mats to stand on, a nearby source for water and power is handy too.

We had a steer over at the range property that I want to butcher but the dude is huge. I may just farm that out- that size animal is a little intimidating to me- never have butchered a cow before.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                                      Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

trailman
                                      Participant

I only use gas flame cook tops. Both indoors and for outdoors I have s camp chef that works with propane.

I have one that I use when I water bath can. Much easier to fire up the 5 gallon pot and move jars in and out. I’m not comfortable with my pressure canner on it. I have a glass top stove and have been considering getting a propane one as I have a tank but no NG. I have a method I use to preheat my canner on the stove top along with jars in it and I fill them hot once the water is boiling. My canner has a disk on the bottom that matches the size of the ceramic burner.

wheelsee
                                        Participant

I use mine on a flat-top glass stove (Samsung, with an 11 inch coil) without problems.

HOWEVER, please read the stove’s owner’s manual (mine specifically says pressure canners are ok). Also make sure that the burner is about the same size as the canner bottom to ensure adequate heating.

If you’re going to use propane (bottled), make sure you use a full (or nearly) as when the requirement is 90 minutes (meat, in quarts), it means a full 90 minutes. Any time less, and yep, you start over.

First Sergeant

Thanks for the response guys.

FILO
                                            Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                            Je ne regrette rien
                                            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

fabio
                                            Participant

My electric stove top SHOULD be hot enough. If not, I plan on getting a burner for a propane tank and stacking cinder blocks to the correct height to be an outdoor “stove top.”

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.