Preparedness Skills: Welding

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Preparedness Skills: Welding

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

One of the great things as we get older is the lifetime of experience we have picked up.

If you believe in preparedness you’ve considered all the various things we take for granted during normal times.

Particularly in today’s world few people repair things, we either replace items or the modular components. However what do you do when that’s not an option?

The basics of Welding is a worthwhile skill to have.

There are cheap options such as the offerings of Harbor Freight, used equipment, and improvised.

Harbor Freight’s options are not commercial grade, ;-) but if you are a hobbiest user, and keep within the limited duty cycle it will work ok.

Used is where the best bargains are, just find someone who knows this subject to examine equipment condition.

Many are unaware you can do some welding with your 12 volt car battery. :yes:

As far as learning this skill, between YouTube, books, and pointers from welders you can teach yourself. Don’t get me wrong your work won’t be as good as a skilled professional.

Yesterday a neighbor’s vehicle had its rear trailing arm break, this particular one was a stamped sheet metal part.

So it took me around an hour to pull arm, shape metal back to original shape, weld it, paint it and reinstall.

Achieved neighborly goodwill and practiced a skill.

This is just one of the many things you shouldn’t be afraid to try.

RobRoy
        Participant

Wire feed or stick?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I think most amateurs will find stick more difficult to get a handle on, but I think both are worthwhile.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Something I didn’t mention is learning to use is a torch to weld. It’s more versatile in many ways IMHO.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Now that I am thinking about while most think metal when welding, learning to weld plastic is worth knowing as well. I’ve fixed radiators and engine manifolds made of plastic this way at significant savings.

wheelsee
                Participant

Goes without saying BUT……make sure you understand the basic laws of physics and chemistry……..

welding or using a torch on an enclosed container can result in serious injury requiring a helo ride or even death.

welding or using a torch on a container holding flammable product (oil or gas) can result in the same……

welding or using a torch on a loaded spring can result in the same…..

Voltaire is credited with saying – a smart man learns from his mistakes…..a wise man learns from others….. ;-)

Working Emergency Services allows one to see the potential Darwin award recipients…. :bye:

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Besides the classics mentioned by Wheelsee, the most overlooked threat is welding galvanized metals.

There is a variety of problems related to the toxic fumes.

Most welders will at some point in their career perform a weld on galvanized steel and encounter galvanize poisoning or “metal fume fever.” Galvanize poisoning is a short-term reaction to overexposure of zinc oxide. Zinc oxide is produced when the steel’s galvanized coating is heated and evaporates.

There are various books that will discuss safety precautions.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.