Physical Readiness

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactical Fitness & Nutrition Physical Readiness

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      JohnnyMac
      Participant

Just a quick note from my phone post-workout to remind you that you better be working on your PT, nutrition and health.

Stop with the excuses, no one cares.

Don’t wait for motivation, rely on discipline.

Put in the sweat equity so you have a check that your body can cash when life demands it.

B-)

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by JohnnyMac.
        Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Stop with the excuses, no one cares.

Don’t wait for motivation, rely on discipline.

Put in the sweat equity so you have a check that your body can cash when life demands it.

For emphasis! :good:

Overlooked by many…

It’s not what you can do on your best day that matters, it’s what you can do on your worst day!

JohnnyMac
          Participant

It’s not what you can do on your best day that matters, it’s what you can do on your worst day!

Exactly, and this can go along with excuses. It’s good to know how you perform when you are in less than good conditions: tired, time of day/night, hungry, stressed, bad weather, loaded down with gear, sore (caveat: the body needs recovery at some point), etc.

Know thyself

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by JohnnyMac.
            • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by JohnnyMac.
            Civilianresponder
            Participant

I figure as long as I got my chest rig and my rifle I’m good to go right! B-)

Civilianresponder
              Participant

Got this one in today.

Attachments:
                You must be logged in to view attached files.
                Civilianresponder
                Participant

The popularity of this thread tells you what people think of the importance of PT. I’m curious for most forum members here, especially Team Rekkr when was the last time they did something so physically demanding they weren’t sure they could do it. If you are not testing your limits how do you know what you are capable of?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

It’s a hard road to travel!

As posted in other threads it took a major non-medical overhaul to solve my “wear and tear” issues combined with age. What had worked my entire career and life was no longer possible.

Scott G
                    Participant

I don’t speak cross fit, so some of the terms I do not recognize.

After a long time on the sidelines, I have gotten back into working out. Had a health scare last month so the was the motivation I needed. Now trying to build the discipline. No equipment, so I have an app with all bodyweight exercises. I am doing the beginner workouts until the muscle memory starts kicking in, because I don’t want to hurt myself after such a long layoff!

I NEVER SHOULD HAVE STOPPED, RESTARTING TO BUILD FITNESS IT MUCH HARDER THAN MAINTINNING WHERE I WAS OR MOVING FORWARD FROM THERE!!!!!!!!

JohnnyMac
                      Participant

The popularity of this thread tells you what people think of the importance of PT.

Well said! Haha, at this point, I’m used to crickets anytime I bring up PT.

To answer your question, I generally take on a ridiculously difficult workout (for me) roughly every 2 weeks. Generally these workouts boil down to just getting through it.

From a training/adaptation perspective, the rule of diminishing returns absolutely applies. In other words, there comes a point where you will not gain any additional adaptation by doing more work in a particular workout, and just begin to induce the need for additional recovery, hampering the ability to workout as frequently. That’s strictly for optimal physical gains…..The occasional gnarly, soul crushing, lobotomizing workouts are more about the mental gains.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by JohnnyMac.
                        Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I’m used to crickets anytime I bring up PT.

Gear, diet, and conspiracies are the only popular Threads! ;-)

Civilianresponder
                          Participant

Its unfortunate that PT is such an elephant in the room. I think events like Run n Guns and “the tactical games” (not tactical at all but still worthwhile from an entertainment, experience, and gear shakedown POV) are a good way to gauge what you need to work on and see how you stand in relation to others. The TG events are all done in full kit carrying your rifle and pistol so it is interesting to see how your gear handles under heavy exertion, abnormal movement, and weird positions.

Lloyd
                            Participant

…when was the last time they did something so physically demanding they weren’t sure they could do it?

Today… and most days.

Not tooting my own horn, but I try to push myself as far as I can go almost every day. As an “old fart”, that is the only way I can keep from going BACKWARDS in my physical abilities.

I am reminded of this quote credited to an SF 18D:
                              “Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn’t worry about what workout to do – his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about ‘how hard it is’. He knows either he wins or dies. He doesn’t go home at 17:00, he is home. He knows only The Cause… Still want to quit?”

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                              Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

Lloyd
                              Participant

Or, as Pat McNamara says: “If you could clone yourself today, could you kick your clone’s ass tomorrow?”

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                                Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

Civilianresponder
                                Participant

@ Lloyd I know that you are getting after it! You and your offspring all left me in your dust at Ft Davis!

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.