Perimeter Motion Detection

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Security Perimeter Motion Detection

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Jake
      Participant

Does anyone have any recommendations for a perimeter motion detection system?
        Pros/Cons

I’m also interested in best practices to reduce “false” detections.

I wanting to add another layer of protection to a single family home. Probably 3-4 sensors.

farmer
        Participant

Jake, talk to Robert @ JRH Enterprises. He is a member here.

jrhenterprises.com 👍

Robert Henry
          Participant

The MURS Dakota alert system is probably the best commonly available choice. Seismic detectors being even better when they can be found any more.

robert@jrhenterprises.com Feel free to email with any questions or to get discounted price for MVT forum members. I’ll be out the end of this week at CQBC but will respond asap.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
            Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Jake
            Participant

Thanks. Email sent to Robert.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by Jake.
              wildbill
              Participant

Can any of these alarms be programed to make different sounds so that you know what area has been breached?

JC
                Participant

The Dakota MURS alert has 4 alert ‘zones’. You pick which sensor is assigned to a zone. The unit will broadcast “Alert Zone 1” (or 2 or 3, etc). You can also pick which MURS frequencies the sensor will broadcast on. So if one MURS frequency is heavily used in your area, you can pick another one. They also allow privacy codes to be used.

They are IR sensors (not motion) with a range of up to 80 feet. The beam is pretty tight – approx. 3’ at 50 feet.

They have a line-of-sight range of about a mile with the supplied “rubber duck” antenna. They use a standard SMA antenna connector, so if needed you can replace the supplied antenna which a better MURS antenna, and run it up a tree on a long coax cable to obtain better range.

Any radio that receives the MURS band will pick up the signal (but you might not be able to use the privacy codes with some radios).

wildbill
                  Participant

The Dakota MURS alert has 4 alert ‘zones’. You pick which sensor is assigned to a zone. The unit will broadcast “Alert Zone 1” (or 2 or 3, etc).

Great that is what I was looking for but the Amazon description did not make that clear – THANKS!

Sitting Duck
                    Participant

Very interesting. What advantage over putting up a long range WiFi (Airestone?) And using WiFi cameras?

Robert Henry
                      Participant

Very interesting. What advantage over putting up a long range WiFi (Airestone?) And using WiFi cameras?

They are great to use in conjunction but if your not watching the camera output constantly, you may miss any alert of detection.

However if you set the cameras up covering areas that were covered by your seismic probes, MURS sensors or whatever early warning you had- then you could tap into the cameras for immediate verification when receiving an alert of intrusion.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                        Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There are a variety of considerations for perimeter security/warning systems.

Area of coverage is the first question that needs answering.

Are we talking a small lot or acerage?

Urban vs rural?

Open area vs dense foilage?

Livestock, pets, indigenous wildlife, authorized human traffic (children, customers, etc…)?

Is counter detection a consideration?

Are there natural or man-made obstacles to create lines of movement?

There are a variety systems available from commercial to improvised.

If installing system yourself, what technical knowledge do you have?

Finally budget and time priority.

Time priority? Does it need to be up and running yesterday?

gramma
                          Participant

I have a Dakota driveway alarm. I noticed a LOT of wildlife false alarms. But they are so effective, I’m adding another zone and probably another couple receivers (for D’s house and studio). I have good line of site, but her location isn’t quite so easy.

And yes, I’ve picked up other radio chatter, too. Depending on channel. I back this up with a game camera to get license plate info. Had some strange “visitors”… so I’ll be adding range markers along the only way in (by std vehicle), too.

Mike
                            Participant

Ring camera with chimes. You can program different chimes so you know which camera is detecting the motion. Yes there are alot of false alams from wildlife.

JohnnyMac
                              Participant

Ring camera

Not advised from a security perspective

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.