Perimeter Alarms

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Security Perimeter Alarms

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Ran across some M118 simulators recently and was wondering if anyone has experience with theses and possible uses.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nIPaWbYNS_k

The same guy had also used spent practice grenade tops and modified them to fire shotgun primers from a trip wire. A bit out of the box but placing several around for perimeter alerts might be of use.

Robert
        Participant

There is a couple ways to look at this.

First is for retreat security- do you really want to let the intruder know that he’s been made? A shotgun primer going off, a trip flare activating, a foot snagging on a trip line of any sort, WILL let someone know they’ve been made. What would YOU do at that point as the intruder? You’d either jet out, or you might back up a bit fishhook back maybe and see who/what the response is to this. Just one dude out looking at this? Bam! Take off or test response again.

Second- consider if “Dude” intruder doesn’t even realize he’s been made. He’s sneaking in thinking he’s all ninja like. At some point he passes a camoflaged PIR detector placed up in a tree, or he walks within 30 yards of a seismic probe buried in the ground. Both send a signal back to a receiver alerting you without making a loud noise at the site. “Dude” continues forward thinking he’s a sneaky ninja and walks right into your view. “Dude” intruder has never felt a trip wire, never heard any crazy noises, etc. so he has no reason to think he’s been made.

Same setups can work in a patrol base setup, depending on the type of unit.

At our place we use seismic detectors that are unfortunately very hard to find now a days, and the newer MURS Dakota alert sensors. These couple with a few other things work out really well for us.

Max
          Keymaster

Good points but should have prefaced field uses in the post. Any thoughts under that scenario?

Robert
            Participant

Field use- wouldn’t you kinda want to have detection without them knowing also?

The MURS transmitters aren’t tiny, but they aren’t large either. The portable receiver is the size of a normal HT.

If you were lucky enough to find a TRC3A wireless seismic set, four probe/transmitters easily fit in one of the outside pockets of an Alice pack. The receiver for that is same size or if you have a 2 meter HT it may transmit in that frequency range (depending on the set). If your 2 meter HT is opened up, it will definitely hear the various frequencies these sets were made on.

Back in the 80’s before we found some of the TRC3A sets, we carried some of these little Radio Shack PIR alarms. They took 1 9volt battery. You covered the sensor part with tape, spray painted them camo, pulled the tape back off and they were ready to use. Good to about 15 yards but made an audible siren. We just put them far enough away from RON sites to where their location didn’t point directly back to where we slept. Still had the factor of them knowing they were made though.

Max
              Keymaster

I did not realize those things were that easy carry around. There have been countless comments about reducing weight and these things weight VERY little but if the passive systems are comparable they would certainly be a better choice.

Thanks for taking the time. :good:

Max
                Keymaster

The seismic sensors are definitely great but hard to find and $$$. The technology really shouldn’t be that hard to duplicate for fixed position security. The .mil stuff is built to be used, moved, etc again and again.

This is one of those areas that I begin to explore, but then time simply gets away from me and I struggle to find the time to follow through.

Robert
                  Participant

The seismic sensors are definitely great but hard to find and $$$. The technology really shouldn’t be that hard to duplicate for fixed position security. The .mil stuff is built to be used, moved, etc again and again.

This is one of those areas that I begin to explore, but then time simply gets away from me and I struggle to find the time to follow through.

You wouldn’t THINK so, but I can’t tell you how many people in the 22 years I’ve dealt with seismic detectors (especially the last 12 when they’ve been all but unobtainable) have told me that they could build one, etc. etc. I’m guessing at least 25 people. And I don’t mean Joe Schmo that can’t screw in a lightbulb types. A lot of these guys worked electronics their whole life, etc. etc. The receiver itself- say like a PSR1A receiver isn’t over complicated- 60’s tech. But to build a hardened waterproof probe that can be left in place ???? years and still work (going on 16 years some of mine have been buried and still work fine) is a lot more difficult.

Now a days, most people buy the PIR devices like the MURS Dakota Alert sets. In some ways they are slightly more convenient than say a PSR1A set. Ours MURS sensors can be heard in the dwellings here via the base station receiver. It runs off 110 but we have an alt energy system so 110 isn’t a problem. However the sensors can also be heard on an HT that runs off AA batteries so you can be “out and about”, patrolling, or moving to flank the intruders and be getting real time alerts to sensors going off.

The sensors are pretty easy to conceal- cover the “eye” with tape, spray camo to match surroundings, remove tape and screw the unit to a tree, fence post, etc. Our farthest sensor is about 1/4 mile away and I have customers reporting getting a good bit further than that with the range from sensor to receiver.

Max
                    Keymaster

Robert,

Would you mind sharing the system you have in place? I am looking at the MURS system but any input insights you may have would be appreciated.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.