Pediatrician Inquisition

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Homeschooling Pediatrician Inquisition

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

I have been reading the MV forums for awhile and was pleased to see the homeschool forum added. My wife and I decided before we even had children that that was our desire for our family. We now live in SE PA, in a scool district that is broadly lauded (despite persistent drug problems, pervasive disrespect, etc). Since moving here, we have become accustomed to the incredulous looks when we reveal that our kids are taught at home. This is never something we offer unsolicited, as we believe this is a private family decision. What i was not prepared for was the interrogation my wife got from our pediatrician when she found out our “secret”. She had taken our daughters (age 7 and 5) for their routine annual checkup and everything proceeded normally until the doctor asked my oldest daughter what grade she was in. When my daughter responded that she was taught at home, the appointment took an immediate turn. The doctor started asking my wife questions like what curriculum we were using, how we were measuring progress against public school standards, were we noticing delayed social skills (this after my girls had been respectful, obedient, and responsive throughout the appointment…and isn’t that a pretty well disproven bias at this point), were they involved in any programs outside the home, etc. She then asked my youngest to recite her ABCs. After this she left the room and came back with several sheets of paper and had both girls write their names…all the while jotting notes in her file. I was absolutely beside myself when my wife described this visit. I would love to know if other homeschool families have experienced something similar. It is bad enough that pediatricians now ask about guns in the house and whether or not they are properly secured. This was the last straw for me. It seems the medical profession has become less a service provider and more an information collector. I volunteered to take them to their next appointment.

Max
        Keymaster

That is unfortunate, I personally am leaning heavily towards homeschooling my own daughters when they become of age. We are already working with my oldest daughter on learning her ABC’s and other basic items. My first question to the pediatrician would have been on what grounds is she going to hold up and probe my children in non medical ways? I would then proceed to question the doctor on where they had received their license, what tests they had to take to get it, whether or not they had paid their student loans off, and then why my family’s legal and private decision is any of their damn business. I was homeschooled for several years, and I can honestly say that the only awkward part about going back to public school was that had I treated people like the students I went to school with, I’d have my head knocked off! Doctors in general really need to just stick to medical items, leave the other stuff alone. Also note, a gun, happens to be a piece of naval artillery, I personally don’t have any of them, as well as that form not being a legally binding document.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.