Pants and shirts?

View Latest Activity

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      onegunshort
      Participant

Which pants and shirts are you using now? I saw First Sergeant recommended staying away from cotton. I have some hiking pants in OD green, but want something with cargo pockets for gear or empty mags. Some pricing is ridiculous; Vertx RECON pants are $171! I don’t want to spend more than $50 per pair IF POSSIBLE. I searched around on amazon and google and found the usual BDU-equivalents, lots of cotton pants and shirts, and so forth. What are you using and where do you buy it?

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by onegunshort.
        • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by onegunshort.
        onegunshort
        Participant

BTW, I am not really asking about camoflage patterns. I’m more interested in the attributes of useful clothing and being pointed to brands, specific models and websites to purchase them. I’ll probably just go with multicam and OD green for now and add different patterns over time.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

My current go to pants and shirts are poly/cotton at 65%/35%.

I’ve been using the 5.11 Taclite Pro Shirts/Pants. I did a review in this thread.

The review is specifically about them in Realtree Xtra (Max’s favorite! (sarcasm)), but have since added many other earth tone colors. My oldest pairs are around four years old and holding up very well to heavy use in that time.

Whatever you decide on after testing them yourself, if you are trying to save expense consider purchasing some used/like new on eBay. I have had great luck getting pairs for around $15-20 that way.

I wouldn’t use anything with more than 35% cotton since quick drying is a priority here in Florida.

Another excellent brand in your price range is Helikon-Tex. Many vendors carry them to include Amazon.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Regardless of quality if you ever have to wear them daily in true field conditions long term then anything less than 5 pairs is not enough.

Clothing and boots are consumables.

Civilianresponder
              Participant

I’ll second what Joe says. I’ve been using 5.11 taclite pro poly cotton daily for about 6 years. They hold up well, have plenty of pockets and can be had for around $35 on sale.

Andrew
                Participant

Their EMT pants are pretty good too. But, unless you get it off immediately, blood will leave a rust colored stain.

rampantraptor
                  Participant

I have a stockpile of BDUs, ACUs, etc. in cotton and poly-cotton blends in various patterns I’ve gotten from thrift shops over the years, poly-cotton is the best and holds up longer vs. cotton that tends to wear and fade.

T
                    Participant

Another excellent brand in your price range is Helikon-Tex. Many vendors carry them to include Amazon.

I have been using H-Ks CPU cargo pants for four years. Bought three and have used one since they hold up well. Knees eventually developed small puncture holes and abrasion due to limestone and cactus (kneepads can be inserted). Bought these when Max recommended. Inexpensive and rugged in my opinion.

DiznNC
                      Participant

I use either 5.11 “classic” tac pants, or a light weight nylon hiking pant, like REI “Sahara” series. The 5.11’s are heavier for range work or what-not, and the light weight hikers for general tom-foolery. They both hover around 50 bucks a pop.

I am also testing out some Helikon Tex stuff, which started out as Chinese airsoft, but lately they have been upping their game. Their light weight windshirt has worn really well, and their mil-spec cargo pants aren’t bad either. Still testing but so far I like them as decent kit at a good price point. Looking to try out their soft shells as well.

Hessian
                        Participant

My old go to pant was the Tru-Spec 24/7 ORIGINAL TACTICAL PANTS 65/35 Polyester/Cotton Rip-Stop. I wore them year round at work doing construction as well as doing yard work. I had 2 pairs that lasted me about 4 years before they started to fall apart.

Tactical Distributors Neptune Pant 3.0 – So far so good, they are a very light pant (currently regulated to office wear during the summer) the fabric is so thin I don’t expect these to take abuse like a typical BDU poly cotton ripstop blend. Currently they are on sale!

helikon tex is on my short list for new pants to try out.

Civilianresponder
                          Participant
                            JohnnyMac
                            Participant

actical Distributors Neptune Pant

I’ve been wearing these for about 1.5 years. I like them a lot, the early versions had the zippers on the cargo pockets separate, but that’s it. The solid colors are a little noisy, the multicam are silent.

Prana brion/zion are the best in my opinion, if you can deal with little/no cargo pocket space.

I still haven’t found a good affordable alternative to the usgi blouse.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by JohnnyMac.
                              Abacus
                              Participant

Solid color BDU pants are cheap and easy to get (amazon or any uniform/tactical shop should have them). I prefer Proper. TruSpec comes in second in fit and quality. The Rothco pants I have owned were not as nice or well made. They also had shallow slant/front pockets. NYCO has worked better for me than twill.

Unlike most other cargo pants I have seen/tried, BDU pants have buttons on their pockets. I like buttons. I like the button fly and the waist adjustment tabs, though that probably makes me a heritic. They are also easy to repair extending their life quite a bit.

My rattiest pair of solid BDU pants are going on for threeish years of gallivanting around the desert southwest. Although they are showing some wear they remain serviceable.

I have some lower profile pants and jeans without cargo pockets made by 5.11. I wear them in town and at the office. These would hold up fine for what you want but have fewer pockets and might be hotter. They also cost more.

Unfortunately 5.11 seems to be discontinuing their straight fit pants in favor of more slim cut options outside their overt tacticool and jean lines. I will probably look at Daluth to replace my office/street pants when the time comes. I have big legs and don’t do well in tights.

Abacus
                                Participant

5.11 is doing a presidents day sale. 20% off.

wheelsee
                                  Participant

Another vote for Tru-Spec. I like the pockets inside the cargo pockets. I wear stone, tan, coyote, or khaki every day at work (hospital medical).

Robert Henry
                                    Participant

Just came home from the auctions the other day with an absolutely killer deal on new Multicam pants and tops new with tags- about 100 sets pants and tops of various sizes, mostly Larges and then some misc. sizes.

They are posted on the website now-
                                      https://www.jrhenterprises.com/Multicam-Combat-Uniform-Set-of-PANTS-and-COAT-NEW-MCSet.htm

but figure the following savings for my MVT brethren-

Set of pants and top- XS, Large Reg, Large Long or XL (not many XL) $34.99 for the set (pants and top). Plus ship costs. A set of pants and coat will fit in a large flat rate priority mail box.

Stock up while they are cheap!

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                                      Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

trailman
                                      Participant

Maybe I’m begin contrarian here and yes they are mostly cotton. But if you don’t want to look tactical you can buy a decent amount of Carhartts and Schmidt brand from you local TSC or farm store. As its was mentioned these are consumables and it may come down to your every day wear at some time. Both brand are solid and you can stack them deep for the price. IMHO

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Set of pants and top- XS, Large Reg, Large Long or XL (not many XL) $34.99 for the set (pants and top). Plus ship costs. A set of pants and coat will fit in a large flat rate priority mail box.

This is a screaming deal from Robert!

$34.99 for the set (pants and top). Plus ship costs.

If issue multicam is useful to you I wouldn’t wait long, deals like this don’t last.

Both brand are solid and you can stack them deep for the price. IMHO

Even if you don’t want such work clothes for “operations” it is still worth having a supply of such heavy duty clothing. Typical clothing does not handle hard use very well.

Spencer
                                          Participant

Just came home from the auctions the other day with an absolutely killer deal on new Multicam pants and tops new with tags- about 100 sets pants and tops of various sizes, mostly Larges and then some misc. sizes.

Ordered.

DCH 10/2019
                                            H.E.A.T. 1 12/2019

Robert Henry
                                            Participant

Ordered.

Awesome thank you! Orders received before 1pm went out today, orders received after that are all packed and will ship out tomorrow. Thanks again!

www.jrhenterprises.com

ariel
                                              Participant

I ordered two sets a day or two ago as well after Fabio forwarded me the sale email. Just saw this posting but even at $39.99/set, it was a fantastic deal and I’m more than happy with that. Thanks again, Robert.

JustARandomGuy
                                                Participant

Maybe I’m begin contrarian here and yes they are mostly cotton. But if you don’t want to look tactical you can buy a decent amount of Carhartts and Schmidt brand from you local TSC or farm store. As its was mentioned these are consumables and it may come down to your every day wear at some time. Both brand are solid and you can stack them deep for the price. IMHO

I’ve actually got to agree with this to a point.
                                                  Especially if you live in a rural or semi-rural area like I do. Drive a 5+ year old off road capable (ie, mission capable) SUV or pickup, wear regular earth-tone “work clothes” and nobody will look twice at you.
                                                  Even if you’re wearing “the good shit” for boots, most people don’t know boots and won’t look twice at those either.
                                                  Or alternately, “regular earth tone work clothes” up top and “surplus” camo pants in DCU/Woodland/other “old” camo on the bottom; lots of folks still familiar with surplus camo because they’re renowned for cheap durability.

Then go roll around in a gravel/dirt driveway after a good rain, add a spritz or two of gasoline/diesel for scent, run past an open wood fire a couple times, let it all dry, then brush the worst of it off and voila! you’re invisible among the general rural populace… ;-) haha

I mean….sure, it’s not going to be as good as the specialized stuff, but…depending on locale and type of planned operations…it might be easier to explain several fellows stumbling out of the woods with a gunshot victim in Carharts than the latest and greatest MC… :unsure:

So the obvious conclusion here is that… Realtree is the proper camo for post-boog ops. ;-) :yahoo:

Civilianresponder
                                                  Participant

TEam Leaf Vomit Camo! B-)

onegunshort
                                                    Participant

I picked up a pair of Midway USA pants in OD green. We’ll see how they go. I’d get some of the pants from JRH, but they don’t have my size.

The OD color is pretty dark and is darker than the picture shows.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939156887?color=Olive+Drab

• This reply was modified 1 week, 2 days ago by onegunshort.
                                                      Robert Henry
                                                      Participant

I ordered two sets a day or two ago as well after Fabio forwarded me the sale email. Just saw this posting but even at $39.99/set, it was a fantastic deal and I’m more than happy with that. Thanks again, Robert.

Email me right away and I’ll adjust it for you. And everyone else- make sure you put “MVT” in the special instructions. Unfortunately I don’t remember everyone’s names but if you put that somewhere in the special instructions I’ll discount it upon charging the order.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.