Packaging Med Supplies

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Armory – Gear and Equipment Med Gear and Kit Packaging Med Supplies

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      First Sergeant

This may be old news to some of you but there are probably others who don’t know about this.

I use our food saver to vacuum seal the contents of my IFAK’s. It makes the contents waterproof and compresses them smaller. Since you are not accessing the contents on a regular basis, it makes sense. If some of the contents have an expiration date just write the date in the outside of the package.

The pictures below show the contents sealed and the package inside of my IFAK. The pouch is a HSGI Bleeder/Blowout pouch. I wear it on my battle belt. It has a slot in the back with a snap closure for a set of EMT shears.

The contents are as follows:

4″ Israeli/Emergency Bandage
        QuikClot Combat Gauze
        Asherman Chest Seal
        Nasopharyngeal Airway with lube
        Chest Decompression Needle
        1 Pair Defender T gloves

FILO
        Signal Out, Can You Identify
        Je ne regrette rien
        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Jamison
        Participant

Just wondering what you keep in yours?

I’ll tell you want I have in mine and maybe get some pics in a little bit.

First Sergeant

Just edited my post as I forgot to list the contents.

FILO
            Je ne regrette rien
            In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Roadkill
            Participant

That looks like a good kit. For the NPA I never worried about lube, usually spit from the patient worked fine. Just one less thing to worry about.

First Sergeant

That looks like a good kit. For the NPA I never worried about lube, usually spit from the patient worked fine. Just one less thing to worry about.

Spit works also. The NPA that I have came with a small package of lube so I just put it in there. Can’t hurt and it doesn’t weigh anything or take up any room.

FILO
                Je ne regrette rien
                In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Corvette
                Participant

I use a zip-lock bag and suck all the air out before I seal the corner. Basically does the same thing.

First Sergeant

I use a zip-lock bag and suck all the air out before I seal the corner. Basically does the same thing.

I have used ziploc bags for years to pack stuff in rucks, to put maps in and store stuff in. I still do. They make things a whole lot easier. Over time though, they have to be replaced as they will wear out. I only use the vacuum sealer for things that are not going to be used a lot, IFAK contents and fire starting material for example. I am not saying you have to run out and buy one. Just a tip that some may not have thought of.

FILO
                    Je ne regrette rien
                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Brian from Georgia
                    Participant

That is an awesome idea. I always enjoy new excuses to use the Foodsaver!

Max
                      Keymaster

I was wondering if you have you vacuum sealed package prenotched to assist in rapid opening if the digits are slippery? Some have a line drawn from notch to notch to assist in seeing which end is up under less than ideal lighting.

Wild Bill
                        Participant

I was wondering if you have you vacuum sealed package prenotched to assist in rapid opening if the digits are slippery? Some have a line drawn from notch to notch to assist in seeing which end is up under less than ideal lighting.

Saw a video where a medic had added Guerrilla tape at the notches of all of his sealed medical items creating tabs that where easier to grab and pull to open the packages with slippery hands or in the dark.

Max
                          Keymaster

good tips, thanks guys. I would add extra set of gloves, gloves break, bystander/2nd party preforming a task like c-spine/air-way management compressions. add roll of 2″ tape, 2′ rolled gauze, 4 child aspirins, and mouth to mask shield. if you do not have a BVM/HFo2 and need to do rescue breaths that mask is worth its weight in gold. small very, light items that make a difference until high-level of care arrives. we can think outside of trauma, we can think into heart issues. hell we aren’t getting any younger.

First Sergeant

good tips, thanks guys. I would add extra set of gloves, gloves break, bystander/2nd party preforming a task like c-spine/air-way management compressions. add roll of 2″ tape, 2′ rolled gauze, 4 child aspirins, and mouth to mask shield. if you do not have a BVM/HFo2 and need to do rescue breaths that mask is worth its weight in gold. small very, light items that make a difference until high-level of care arrives. we can think outside of trauma, we can think into heart issues. hell we aren’t getting any younger.

Not a bad idea for a general IFAK that you carry in your patrol pack. What I am talking about is a basic blowout kit for penetrating trauma, i.e. getting shot. That is what my IFAK on my battle belt is for. It is not for me to treat anyone else. An IFAK on your kit is for your buddy to treat you if you get shot. So the supplies in there need to be for that. If you notice in the picture of my blowout pouch, there is a TQ pouch with TQ attached to it for quick access. That is so I can access it quickly and treat myself, if I can.

One thing to think about as you set up your groups and start working together, you need to standardize what everyone has in their IFAK’s and everyone should have it in the same location on their kit. That way if something happens, you don’t have to figure out where your buddies IFAK is to treat him.

Some of you may have noticed that Max and I have our IFAK’s in the exact same spot on our battle belts. That’s called a clue. We both know exactly where to go to treat each other if necessary.

To reiterate, the IFAK on your battle belt or chest rig is for your buddy to treat you. Not for you to treat anyone else. And it would be advisable to carry more than one TQ. They are lightweight and you can put them anywhere.

FILO
                              Je ne regrette rien
                              In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Viewing 11 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.