Oil Tanker Attacks

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Information & Intelligence Oil Tanker Attacks

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well most of you have probably heard about these attacks.

Here is a basic overview…

Iranian gunboat removing mine that didn’t detonate.

This isn’t anything new.

Example of past response to such attacks.

Will provide more in-depth analysis when more information comes available.

Hessian
        Participant

I am skeptical.

That video footage is so grainy and unclear you can’t clearly identify who is on that boat.

It amazes me that the republicans are willing to waste our man power fighting a war on foreign soil but yet refuse to secure our southern border which is being invaded.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

That video footage is so grainy and unclear you can’t clearly identify who is on that boat.

It’s FLIR footage.

It amazes me that the republicans are willing to waste our man power fighting a war on foreign soil but yet refuse to secure our southern border which is being invaded.

It’s highly doubtful we’ll go to War over this without further escalation by Iran.

Iran pulls stunts like this regularly, historically we will stomp a few military targets and move on. Obama tried bribing them, that and appeasement never works.

If we mined those ships, the mines would have gone boom! ;-)

I am waiting to see more photos of damage for analysis.

Modern tankers have an outer and inner hull making it far more difficult to sink.

Torpedoes on other tanker seem unlikely unless they didn’t work properly. Iran has Kilo Class diesel electric boats (submarines). Soviet/Russian built.

A U.S. Navy MK48 would have killed tanker. Haven’t had a chance to look into what torpedoes Kilo’s carry, I seem to remember they are somewhat smaller.

RobRoy
            Participant

What Hessian said. The D-party is used to invade us and make us feel demoralized and powerless, the idiot party of Rs gives us phony baloney wars for globalism and other useless scat and calls it conservatism and patriotic such and such.

Andrew
              Participant

Limpet mines don’t attach themselves to targets. Especially that far above the water line when the ship is loaded? Was the night watch on board at sleep? Who in that area of the globe has divers? Hard to believe it’s the Yemen Houthis, but possible I guess.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Limpet mines don’t attach themselves to targets.

Yea that was supposed intentional

Who in that area of the globe has divers?

The Combat Swimmer capability is rudimentary, but Iran does have such units.

Houthis

Only if Iran brought them in to do it!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Worth noting.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

These one or two man wet submarines can carry a large limpet mine under the cockpit.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Al-Sabehat-15 SDV

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Typical Iranian Limpet mine

Andrew
                          Participant

You are probably on to something there.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Especially that far above the water line when the ship is loaded?

As you noted a limpet mine is supposed to be deployed under water.

Attached like that above the water line suggest someone cruised by in a boat and just stuck it to hull.

This demonstrates a lack of proper training in its use, underwater the explosive force is multiplied by water backing it. Water doesn’t compress!

To deploy above the waterline would require a larger charge to be effective.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Something I forgot to mention, it’s normal to release such footage at greatly reduced resolution to not expose our true capabilities.

There are many thinking “false flag” regarding this incident. While I understand being skeptical regarding such reports and I never assume anything is as it appears.

However what I do look at and for are facts to base such rational assumptions.

I have no facts to suggest that this event is anything other but what it appears to be.

If you remember I was greatly skeptical of Assad’s use of chemical weapons that we used to justify our Tomahawk attacks.

This skepticism was based on real facts and actual professional knowledge of such weapons and the identification process to confirm such attacks.

These tanker attacks; particularly compared to other lesser known recent incidents, appear to be what is being reported by our government.

Such attacks are hardly rare for Iran to conduct!

Lastly regardless of who perpetrated these attacks the precedent for retaliation by President Trump to this point certainly doesn’t point to an invasion by U.S. Forces.

Remember the hype associated with our two Tomahawk strikes?

Remember the rumors of sending a 100,000 U.S. Troops into Syria?

Remember the “this will lead to WWIII” perpetrated by the Blogosphere?

What was our actual response?

A relatively small force of SOF was used to assist in the destruction of ISIS in combination with U.S. air power.

Should better photographs of damage to the tankers become available I will be able to conduct a realistic analysis.

Remember unlike most of the Blogosphere I am actually qualified to do this!

I have no agenda to promote beyond facts and rational thought.

I bring this up not to “blow smoke up my rearend,” but it is very frustrating when rational analysis is given the same credibility as some perpetual “the sky is falling” self-appointed expert.

I apologize for not describing my full background in detail, but my privacy is more important to me than proving my qualifications.

We have numerous people on this Forum; to include Max and First Sergeant, that have the experience and background to judge my analysis over the years I’ve participated here.

Let’s continue to make rational assesments based on facts.

SeanT
                                Keymaster

I had a couple thoughts. I am by no means as qualified as Joe in this area but my job requires some analysis skillz.

Neither ship was carrying oil. One was methanol and the other I believe was napthalene or similar. Why I think this is important is that the coast that would have been significantly affected by an oil spill would have been Iran’s. This also likely would have riled up the enviros, possibly causing a distraction away from the original intent. The naptha would mostly have evaporated (or burned off) and the methanol is water soluble.
                                  If the ships were sunk, they possibly could have hindered navigation for the bad actor. (I did not evaluate the water depth at the area of attack).
                                  The futures price of oil jumped up anyway and that would allow Iran to profit more from what they are able to sell lessening some of the pain of the sanctions.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am by no means as qualified as Joe in this area but my job requires some analysis skillz.

I apologize if my earlier rant seemed directed at anyone here on the forum. It wasn’t meant to deter opinions regarding these events or other topics. Or to imply that only I have the answers.

It was a moment of frustration/weakness in general directed at the Blogosphere regarding a variety topics.

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.