Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks, and Ponds

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Hunting, Trapping, Fishing and Foraging Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, Creeks, and Ponds

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

No, I am not going to do an extensive how to guide here, but I want you to consider the resources available in your AO.

We are talking fish, shellfish, turtles, frogs, gators, and birds that inhabit these areas, not to mention other animals that utilize theses resources.

Have you prepared for harvesting these abundant resources?

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Robert
          Participant

Trot lines are nice also cause you can pretty easily hide them. Pull up and check at night.

Standing on the bank with a fishing rod won’t be an option most of the time post SHTF.

Brian from Georgia
            Participant

The GA redneck-preferred methods for catching catfish : limb lines on river/creek banks and noodles or jugs in ponds/lakes.

Use the small bream and crappie caught earlier in the day for bait.

xsquidgator
              Participant

This city guy thanks you! Until now, I wasn’t sure what a trotline was… every bit of knowledge helps.

Is there a simple answer to be able to tell if fish in a pond or swamp area are safe to eat? My typical ‘burb neighborhood has a bunch of retention ponds and I see people standing there with poles for fun. There’s no telling what the hell used to be here before they made the ponds/neighborhood, except it was well just undeveloped swamp. There’s a county landfill a mile or two away and who knows what else has been tossed or buried here before… is that something to worry about?

wheelsee
                Participant

I like limb lines. Be very cautious with trot lines. Growing up in SE Texas, the creeks and bayous were full of old ones. IF you are ever swimming and get “caught” , do NoT thrash about. A young woman learned the hard way and paid the ultimate price…..80’s. And yes, as a recovery diver, we feared trot lines more than gators…..that’s why every BC had a pair of EMT shears instead of a knife – much easier to cut with and didn’t have to worry about poking a hole in your flotation equipment……

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

…is that something to worry about?

The best way to find out here in Florida is to check with your Water management District.

Otherwise the general rules to use is would I drink from it (filter, boil, etc…), does it taste right, and taken into consideration things like industry, landfills, etc…

Now is the time to check into things with resources available.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Evaluating resources in your AO.

hellokitty
                      Participant

Trot lines are great but you have to use live bait. Which means you need a cast net. Use the cast net to gather up bait fish to set on your trot lines. Shallow water or rivers you can run a trot line from stump to stump. I have seen drop lines used in deep water or deeper rivers, which is essentially a vertical trot line. Use a cinder block and a bouy (milk jug). It helps to know your depth and know the best spots, like points where fish are holding.

I have great memories checking trot lines at night with my dad. Until you get a water moccasin on the line or one tries to get in the boat with you. :negative:

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                        HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                        FOF X3
                        OPFOR X2
                        CLC X2
                        RIFLEMAN

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Until you get a water moccasin on the line or one tries to get in the boat with you.

You too! ;-)

Rowland
                          Participant

Don’t forget a good crawdad/crayfish/mud bug trap! For a pound of offal to turn into several pounds of crawdad/crayfish overnight is a wonderful experience. We do that several times a year just for fun.

wheelsee
                            Participant

Or this…..know your environment….

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Or this…..know your environment….

Gator is good eating too!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This was after Wheelsee’s video.

A different take.

Andrew
                                  Participant

Out here, creeks are seasonal, and that’s being very generous. The Rio Grande is there, but you will need to remember that is essentially a flowing, open sewer.

It pays to know where farm/ranch windmills are and what they run on, be it wind, electricity, or solar. Also important is how the hold the water. Many out here have enclosed tanks, which you may or may not be able to access. Most watering systems out here are gravity systems, so look for troughs downhill from the source. Stock ponds will be loaded with all sorts of filthy and germs from both domesticated and wild critters. Make sure you can either boil the water or have other means to purify it.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Different AO’s different solutions, learn your area, talk to the “oldtimers” many of them know what normal life was like that most of us would consider SHTF.

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.