Nuclear War: Information, Skills, and Preparations.

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Self-Reliance & Preparedness Chemical, Biological, Nuclear/Radiological Nuclear War: Information, Skills, and Preparations.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

In the Thread “The risk of war greater than ever?”

Okay, how do you train and prepare for nuclear war??? Besides listening to Fred’s little spiel during the jungle walk…?

My response:

Check out these Threads in the “CBRN and Medical” sub-forum:

CBRN (Chemical, Biological and Nuclear) Defense

Detection of Hazards

After reading these feel free to ask any specific questions.

We are fortunate to have at least two CBRN experts at the MVT Forum.

G.W.N.S. – those are good links, but they do NOT address nuclear war. They address chemical war, biological, and nuke plant meltdowns.

What about nuclear war? Especially when you live 60 miles west of Manhattan? How to prepare?

As we’ll see, there are many similarities between “meltdowns” and nuclear weapons effects.

There is no one size answer. There are many factors that come into play.

Also some of this is part of the “IPB/Area Study” I am always encouraging people to do!

First, I do not like reinventing what others have already built.

The people at KI4U, Inc. have gathered the vast majority of the information you need.

They have a PDF copy of the classic “Nuclear War Survival Skills” a truly must read item (if you already have a copy make sure it includes 2001 Addendum).

This is the ‘bible’ of public Nuclear Preparedness, both easy to grasp and understand the threats and chocked full of pactical and easy to implement solutions to minimize radiation exposure to As Low As Reasonably Achievable. Originally published by Oak Ridge National Laboratory, a Facility of the U.S. Department of Energy.

WHAT TO DO IF A NUCLEAR DISASTER IS IMMINENT! (PDF)

If attack NOT imminent, then first go read The Good News About Nuclear Destruction! (linked article)

Start with this and more to follow!

Robert
        Participant

Old article I wrote about 12 years ago

http://www.buildanark.net/index.php?pages/Nuclear Survival Planning.html

It had to be short due to the format/space requirements. I’ll dig around and see if I can find any of the other old articles on the subject. These are geared more towards full nuclear war stuff like Jane is asking about.

Robert
          Participant

Oh yeah, their is a video on that site also from a very impromptu discussion we had at a public campout back in 03 or 04’ish?? No notes, I’m going off the top of my head, so excuse any minor “memory” errors. I was super fat back then also, like I had a nice place on Tattoine and had Han Solo frozen in carbonite fat LMAO

Corvette
            Participant

Wind, Jetstream and Radiation reports for those on the North American continent:

http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/radiation.html

Nuclear documentation here:

http://www.defconwarningsystem.com/links.html#Documents

Max
              Keymaster

Note: This is not Max’s Reply, it is a technical glitch from the change to subscription format.

I volunteer with my county EMA. I was able to fly to Vegas to the nuclear test site to take a week long radiological hazmat technician course. It is free, the Feds even cover flights, room and board. It was a great course that covered instruments, exposure, etc. it’s available to police, fire, and emergency management. If you have the opportunity to go, you should. I now have access to monitoring equipment and dosimeters. I’m one of 4 people in my county of 55,000 trained to use it. I suspect we are better than average unless you are in a major metro area.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Since there have been many books written on this subject and I don’t want to write one here. :yes:

If there are questions related to above information and links just ask.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So hopefully no one is too paranoid about current events, however if you are looking for a more constructive use of your time consider reading the above plus links.

If you really need a hobby consider selecting and building one of the expedient shelters in “Nuclear War Survival Skills” book.

Print out a copy of the most applicable plans and make sure you have needed materials.

Robert
                    Participant

For those blessed to have a basement and be outside of target areas, I would seriously consider doing some rearranging of things down there this weekend or when you have time.

Think MASS and DISTANCE to protect against radiation.

If you have bulk food storage grains, stack your buckets in a way that they can be used for ad hoc shielding if nothing else.

Ideally you would set up in the center of the basement or otherwise under the highest point in the house. The high roof line giving some DISTANCE between fallout (source) and you down in the basement.

Obviously if you can build a real shelter, all the better, but most of us are going to be in basements. Now is the time to improve them for that usage.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Now is the time to improve them for that usage.

Imagine being able to just go downstairs or walk out to even a improvised shelter calmly with go bag have a seat and be done.

Do you really want to be digging after hearing this:

…do you really want to kick off such a “Event” hot, sweaty, and dirty knowing a shower is a long time away?

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.