NOVESKE 18" BARRELS 6.8 SPC

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge NOVESKE 18" BARRELS 6.8 SPC

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Corvette
      Participant

NOVESKE’S price $465.00 Plus $30.00 shipping and handling. I found two available for $450.00 and FREE shipping. I have no financial interest in ROG or Noveske Rifle works. I have done business with both companies, and it was always first class, top shelf.

http://www.rogtac.com/noveske/barrels/6-8mm-spc/noveske-18lw-68-barrel.html

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Noveske makes quality products.

Another option is Daniel Defense, their Cold Hammer Forging of barrels are excellent.

18″ 5.56mm S2W® Mid-length CHF Barrel – w/LPGB

$349.00

Corvette
          Participant

Good barrels……but their 18″ barrel in 6.8SPC is not stainless. Many of my daily hikes are on the beach at low tide.

Corvette
            Participant

Stainless does add a lot of weight though.. mostly because stainless steels are weaker and so the barel needs to be thicker.
              Even so you incur longevity penalties.

taking some care een corrosive ammo is tolrated by barrels some salt presence int he environment should be ok.

I understand even the navalized rifles use in the USN are not stainless..(just extra coating on some parts)

Corvette
              Participant

I would appreciate a source for this information……..Having served a 8,000 hour (4 years) apprenticeship to get my Journeyman Machinist Papers, and another 4 years at Rochester Institute of Technology studying mechanical engineering, that is not my experience. However I can see how someone could think that working backwards based on looking at some stainless barrels largely intended of civilian market. (Note: if I am wrong, it would NOT be the first time).

Stainless does add a lot of weight though.. mostly because stainless steels are weaker and so the barel needs to be thicker.<br>
                Even so you incur longevity penalties.

Corvette
                Participant

I could also be wrong. .but that is what I understand convetional wisdom to be on these things. :unsure:

For example Stainless Steel revolvers are generally not considered as strong as blue “regular ordnance steel” revolvers and some shooters that push the envelope with extra powerful handleods prefer non stainless steel revolvers for that reason.

is it all an urban legend?

Maybe so,..but it is also held by most in the shooting public that stainless steel barrels have reduced longevity vs 4140, 4150 or 41(V)45 gun steels.. and it makes intutive sense to me as a Chemist because when you design for excellence in one property in a meterial, you usually have to compromise in another property.

Corvette
                  Participant

http://www.ehow.com/facts_6897596_steel-vs_-ss-rifle-barrels.html

Stainless steel has a much higher Carbon content, which makes it Slightly more brittle, However this really only a factor in very thin Stainless steel applications, like knife edge for example.

Even in knife edge the issue this mitigated by type of grind. Note that the “MASTERS” Randall Knife Co. has long produced hard’working utility knives in Stainless Steel. http://www.randallknives.com/

FROM RANDALL KNIFE FAQ:
                    Blade type..Stainless or High Carbon Steel.

“That’s one of the most common questions we get. We feel that high carbon tool steel holds a better edge by about 10 percent and it’s much easier to hone. Stainless, however, is more resistant to corrosion and staining, so it’s generally the better choice for use in humid or saltwater conditions. Consider how frequently you’ll use and hone your knife–and where you’ll use it–then decide which material is best for you”.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.