Night action without NODS

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Night Operations Night action without NODS

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      The Hobbit
      Participant

With the night training video, I have been wondering what if any tactics exist for effectively “operating” at night without nods. I know white light on the rifle is go to and I have one but I assume if you are worried about hostile parties, you do not want to be moving with lights on.

So Max/Scott are there any techniques that can aid those of us that do not have nods?

Max
        Keymaster

It’s how we always used to do it. Fire at muzzle flash and maneuver. Use parachute illumination. I’ll see if I can find anything on YouTube.

Max
          Keymaster

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Combined with what Max already stated.

Parachute flares can be of use in some situations, surplus ones tend to be outdated with some duds depending on storage history. New ones aren’t inexpensive.

Note: Ensure you consider fire hazard conditions as these can easily start a major fire.

Tracers can be used as a means to direct or prioritize team fire on targets from your rifle. Consider the type and conditions you would use them in. Point of fire to point of illumination can be quite far depending on type. Fire danger; while not as great as illumination flares, is still an issue.

Never forget that military operations without NODS have been a reality and successfully accomplished for generations.

Max
                Keymaster

NATO tracer lights up 100 to 1100 meters. Buying whatever you buy in the US, could be anything, with stuff lighting up right out of the barrel.

Mike
                Participant

The million dollar question- Where could one obtain parachute flares?

Robert Henry
                  Participant

Way back, we used to find all kinds of neat stuff like this at Knob Creek. But I haven’t been there in 20 years or so now.

Paragon had Canadian parachute flares for $8. each and Canadian smoke grenades at $12. each. We loaded up. All my buddies were buying ammo there, I told them “buy this stuff you never see versus ammo just cause it’s a few dollars cheaper.”

You used to be able to find misc. stuff like this randomly at larger gunshows also. Half of the battle is knowing what your looking at. When other’s don’t, you can often get some deals.

Shooting at night without nods is a lot easier than it used to be with just iron sights. A good illuminated reticle or dot sight will be very helpful. Honestly I wouldn’t use the flashlight in the field, more for a close range PID type of thing.

At night in the field without nods, span of control keeping your homies close will be important. Than it should be pretty obvious from the muzzle flashes who is who. Sounds pretty basic but when you figure most of us are going to be operating with 12 or less guys, not in company size formations, this does make span of control a little easier.

Training, it always comes down to training.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                    Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Mike Q
                    Participant

Another thing to consider at night is the type of ammo and flash hider you’re using. An A2 birdcage is the best at hiding the flash from a round at night. Simple, cheap, and effective. Anything else tends to throw a giant fireball and light up your and your buddy’s body right next to you.

Robert I think your problem at the night class last month is you were using BCM flash hider/comp on your rifle which is why you were throwing fireballs – that and your ammo choice…

The point is to go out and train with your tools at night to figure out what works or in many cases doesn’t work!!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

They appear on surplus market periodically, but the primary source today will be online and Marine and boating supply stores.

You want the ones that are rated for around a 1000′ deployment height minimum.

New ones aren’t inexpensive.

As much as $80.00 a flare.

The can be made, but most people are too damn lazy!

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

An A2 birdcage is the best at hiding the flash from a round at night. Simple, cheap, and effective.

The A2 birdcage is the best bang for the buck, however the Smith Enterprises Vortex is the gold standard IMHO.

Something overlooked is ammo and barrel length. Some ammunition produces a bigger flash than others. I am not talking about reduced signature ammo either, though that is also an option.

hellokitty
                          Participant

You might want to be familiar with moon phases and weather. Bright moon phases are great for certain missions. Dark phases are great for others.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                            HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                            FOF X3
                            OPFOR X2
                            CLC X2
                            RIFLEMAN

hellokitty
                            Participant

Also, the taliban seem to be able to fight a high tech military without NODs and flares.

HEAT 1(CTT) X 3
                              HEAT 2 (CP) X1
                              FOF X3
                              OPFOR X2
                              CLC X2
                              RIFLEMAN

Robert Henry
                              Participant

Another thing to consider at night is the type of ammo and flash hider you’re using. An A2 birdcage is the best at hiding the flash from a round at night. Simple, cheap, and effective. Anything else tends to throw a giant fireball and light up your and your buddy’s body right next to you.

Robert I think your problem at the night class last month is you were using BCM flash hider/comp on your rifle which is why you were throwing fireballs – that and your ammo choice…

The point is to go out and train with your tools at night to figure out what works or in many cases doesn’t work!!

See! I use a Mattel gun at one MVT class and what happens? The fires of hell shoot forth from my barrel! LOL

A couple people said it was a standard birdcage on there, but it does look different in a small way. Going to have to replace that.

I thought it was the ammo also but shooting it at dusk last night and Friday night with various rounds makes me convinced it’s the hider as you said. I need to get a flash hider/taper mount for it anyway, this is good impetus to get that done!

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                                Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

First Sergeant

I think it was a combination of both. That new Norma ammo you were shooting is a little hot.

I have been meaning to text you about it.

FILO
                                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

You might want to be familiar with moon phases and weather. Bright moon phases are great for certain missions. Dark phases are great for others.

This should be part of your IPB!

Not that anyone actually has one. ;-)

Viewing 12 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.