Navigation

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Tactics & Leadership Navigation

• This topic has 8 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years, 8 months ago by Max. This post has been viewed 15 times
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Max
      Keymaster

Here’s a start, in reverse order:

Wrong link removed.

I really like AmMerc. Solid guy. This is a good series of articles on a critical topic. Be sure and check the links, too.

This is something that needs a lot of discussion.

DiznNC
        Participant

Interesting stuff. I remember what an Israeli officer said when he gave a briefing at The Basic School back in ’77. He said a LAAW rocket was effective against armor, you just had to have much courage to get close enough to use it. It seems the same applies here.

Max
          Keymaster
            DiznNC
            Participant

Ok I’ll hit it again. This is where I thought you were going in the first place.

Land Nav. This is a very important skill and can take years to get good at. So we all better get off our asses now and get started.

I think we need to realized that GPS in a tac scenario is a no-go. We need to get back to kicking it old school with map and compass.

Ok, where are you at? Where are you going? Show me your azimuth. OK, ranger take off.

norinco
              Participant

I mentioned this on another forum and I’ll post it here as well.

Short notice however. It is this weekend.

FL-Intro To Land Navigation With Map & Compass

http://tridentfitness.net/calendar/view/651/date/2014-04-13.html

Corvette
                Participant

I need to review my LandNav.
                  I used to be pretty decent at it and could eyeball a 8 digit grid on the 50,000 scale map w/o a protractor spot on.

But that was then and this is now and I havent used that skill in 20 yrs…

norinco
                  Participant

I spent this past weekend working on land navigation. See the link in the above post It’s both simple to learn and really hard to get good at.

I’m going to keep working on these skills with a local orienteering club.

How are YOU working on these skills?

Max
                    Keymaster

One trick I learned was to deliberately go off to either the left or right of your azmith. That way, when your pace count (how many steps do you take per 100 yrds? Test it- very crucial) gets there, you know which side it’ll be on.

Triangle Trigonometry works here (see image 1): your intended direction is the adjacent side, your actual is the hypotenuse. if you proceed off 1 degree from your course for 100 yards, you will travel 99.985 yards forward and 1.745 yards to the side.
                      Because you know how far you’ve gone from your pace count, you know if you need to travel 1.7 yards (100 yrds) or 8.7 yards (500).

This is why I loved math in high school ;)

Max
                      Keymaster

MG hits it: Deliberate offset is the stuff of dreams. At least you know what side of the objective you’re on. :good: Stops a lot of blundering about.

The GI compass is only “rated” for 3 degrees of accuracy. You can :mail: out the offset at distance.

Pace counts should be taken on various terrains, with various loads, under various conditions. As you develop this, your terrain association skills should improve and eventually you’ll be able to average out your pace count. For me, it’s 64 left steps unless I’m creeping about, where it’s about 72. I couldn’t walk you to a 10 digit grid with it, but it’s close enough I won’t stumble onto something I’d rather sneak up on….

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.