My stop at the Local Gun Store.

View Latest Activity

Home Forums Information & Intelligence My stop at the Local Gun Store.

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So I happened to be near my local gun store and stopped by to see what’s happening.

I’d guess they were down to maybe 10% of normal firearms inventory. Lots of pocket pistols, a small number of hunting rifles, and a handful of shotguns.

They sold a equivalent of a years worth of firearms in a few weeks.

Ammunition in predominantly revolver and oddball rifle calibers. Some light game and trap shotshells.

Good news for them is that they carry a diverse group of other products that normally would fall under non-essential but for the fact it’s a essential gun store.

Firearms and related resupply is at a optimistic trickle, so almost nonexistent.

I had ordered some ammo from SGAmmo.com and followed their advice…

Want faster service? If so, consider ordering no more than 1 line item per order, such as a single case or multiple cases of the same exact item, this will aid the warehouse in streamlining our process and filling the order faster than orders that contain multiple but different items.

…and it arrived literally two days longer than what is normal.

Of course the selection is poor and only a few items are at pre-COVID-19 prices (what I purchased was still old price). Didn’t really need anything, but I was curious.

So ammo is available, but most will pay a significant premium for waiting on what should have been purchased before.

DiznNC
        Participant

I buy a lot from these guys (SGAmmo) so I get their industry news letters. Their advice was to stock up several months ago when the prices were pretty low. I did this because I didn’t think we’d quite get to pre-G-WOT levels. I’m sure lots of people did and got caught looking.

Their current advice is that supply will slowly level up but at increased prices. So if you are well-stocked, wait awhile to buy more. But if you’re not, bite the bullet(!) and buy now, because prices will be creeping upwards in the coming months.

What is well-stocked? Well that is up to you, but I’d say at least 1K per weapon. That’s a pretty low minimum compared to some, but it’s a good start point.

This phony crisis illustrated a good point though. When something happens, all that stuff you said you were gonna buy will be unavailable.

DuaneH
          Participant

I began stocking up beginning after the 08 election so I while I knew that things were going to get scarce I did not run out and panic buy.

I did venture to the gun stores mid March and noticed that the shelves were bare. The ARs and AKs were of course gone. Plenty of handguns left, but the cheaper ones were in short supply.

9mm and 5.56 were the first thing to go. I did happen upon a place selling .40 at clearance prices so i bought a few cases for immediate use. Glad I kept my .40s

Academy Sports up until recently had 9mm online available at pre-CV19 prices although allowing only 5 boxes.

I have heard from multiple sources at gun stores that most purchaser were new purchasers.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Too many are living in a fantasy regarding ammunition stockpiles.

:wacko:

Consider the following…

Ammunition Stockpiles for Contingencies

I advise people to decide on a dedicated number of rounds per firearm (not caliber). Then determine a percentage of rounds that will not be used (war reserve). As you get to halfway point between dedicated number and war reserve start looking for deals to replenish (always on the lookout for great deals).

Hypothetical Example:
              You have two rifles and two pistols in your household.

Dedicated rifle number 10,000 rounds.

Dedicated pistol number 5,000 rounds.

So you need 20,000 (10,000 war reserve) rifle rounds and 10,000 (5,000 war reserve) pistol rounds.

So when your stocks get down to 15,000 rifle and 7,500 pistol start looking for ammo, but never dip into war reserve for any reason other than SHTF.

YMMV

A smaller let’s say 4 man team may use 300 rounds or more if hit by a larger group. That’s 1,200 rounds.

OK, 10,000 rounds of ammo again can seem like a lot, but even this is just 8 days of fighting!

Robert Henry
              Participant

Having not stocked 5.56 in quantity since the 90’s and shooting about 6,000 rounds of it in the last 4-5 months I was caught a little underwhelmed in numbers for that when this started. Have a few thousand of dedicated SHTF ammo but needed more training ammo cause we were burning through 400-600 rounds every week.

So yes I was a schmuck to pay $399. a case for quality 5.56 but that’s the price we pay for laxness. For me for the last 2 months of this madness, getting out jogging or getting to the range for a few hours has been my only stress relievers from a really intense period of business. Can’t choke anyone right now (gym closed), so the ring of steel at 419 has to be what refreshes the soul! :yahoo:

The “limit 2” and “limit 1” now being seen doesn’t help stocking up either LOL.

The important thing is to not let it stop you training. Skill at arms is more important than an “ammo fort”. I’d be more worried about the guy that shoots 10,000 rounds a year in training/practice than the ammo miser that has an “ammo fort” but only shoots 100 rounds a year.

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The important thing is to not let it stop you training.

:good:

dave37
                  Participant

I’m glad I bought some Airsim guns from Max before all this. I bet the supply of those from Asia is going to get strange.

HEAT 1 2017
                    Intro to CQB 2017
                    Texas HEAT 2 2018
                    Operation TeaSinker 2019
                    Combat Leader Course 2019
                    Team Coyote
                    Team Rekkr
                    Team Cowbell

wheelsee
                    Participant

I’m glad I bought some Airsim guns from Max before all this. I bet the supply of those from Asia is going to get strange.

Considering 6K “rounds” are less than $50. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Max has been advocating for the AirSim for awhile now…….

Anonymous
                      Inactive

I started shopping for new lowers to beat election panic in my area, even before COVID-19 got serious here many of the shops seemed to only be carrying Anderson lowers, one had PSA lowers but they were with meme or Trump engravings and I already have one PSA.

With most quality lowers being rather expensive online and selling out fast (nevermind FFL transfer costs) I looked at the 80% scene and found a decent deal, snatched some things up online as they were starting to sell out too.

Started shopping around two weeks ago, again only Andersons, one shop that apparently usually carried Aero Precision as well (Duffy’s) was down to only Andersons.

A hard-core collector buddy of mine told me about Baltimore Custom Guns, visited them and they had a collection of ARs. Didnt ask the brand of the assembled ARs, beyond them it was bolt guns, 22 rifles, a few pistols, and an overpriced Mini-14. The stripped lowers they had were all some brand named Adcor I hadn’t heard of for a little under $100, once I did some research learned they are a Baltimore company that subcontracted for Colt up until last year so I bit the bullet and bought one, should be grabbing it up next week.

onegunshort
                        Participant

Tyler Firearms has AR-15 rifles and ammo.

Anonymous
                          Inactive

Tyler Firearms has AR-15 rifles and ammo.

Thanks, I’ll have to check them out sometime, still discovering all the gun shops in my area.

Since I’m making a bit more money recently I’m thinking about buying up some of the different guns I’ve been wanting for a while now before the election hits, assuming they aren’t already out of stock or overpriced out the ass already.

Still need to get more ammo, though, I’ve got some war rounds but no plinking rounds. :unsure:

T
                            Participant

I am going to resupply with battlefield pickups> :-)

Lloyd
                              Participant

I am going to resupply with battlefield pickups> :-)

:good:
                                LOL….

Yeah, but IF the S does not REALLY HTF in the next couple of months, we need ammo for practice & training. Gotta keep that edge sharp for the actual boogaloo!

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Lloyd.

MVT Texas 2015-2020
                                Team Cowbell / Team Coyote / Team Rekkr

First Sergeant

Biggest issue right now is that orders from our distributors are taking 3-4 weeks to ship.

Received an order today that was placed 3 1/2 weeks ago.

Normally it takes about 3 or 4 days.

FILO
                                  Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                  Je ne regrette rien
                                  In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

onegunshort
                                  Participant

Oh and Cindys Hot Shots range is open, but it is pistol only. They had at least 500 rounds of Federal HST 45 ($40 for 50). They have 9mm in stock.

Hessian
                                    Participant

one of my Local gun stores is by appointment only, and oh yea that will cost you $35 for that appointment.

First Sergeant

one of my Local gun stores is by appointment only, and oh yea that will cost you $35 for that appointment.

Damn.

FILO
                                        Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                        Je ne regrette rien
                                        In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

AntMan
                                        Participant

My local gun shop has started being by appointment only. No charge though. They were debating charging people for rescheduling after a no-show / no-call on an appointment or just not rescheduling people who did that.

2xcqbc
                                          1xclc

Anonymous
                                          Inactive

I’ve only visited Baltimore Custom Guns since the lock down kicked off, they’ve stayed open but limit the number of people in the building at a time, it’s not too terrible.

trailman
                                            Participant

Is that because of Capt Trips or becuase of so much business. My work is only doing appointments and no walk-ins because of the bug.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So I stopped by again to poke around, it seems the initial panic buying has subsided.

Firearms are mostly hunting variety and pistols and still at about a third of normal inventory on shelf.

Ammo is better than last month, but still very low. I rarely purchase beyond test ammo to try out from stores.

Online, my favorites have much more selection, but at significant increase in price.

What are your areas like?

Sitting Duck
                                                Participant

Gunshops are supposed to be opening up for curbside service. If not yesterday than soon.

The 50cal Barret Brandon guy from Virginia protest has a shop a few hours away. “The Firing Pin” he was selected for special treatment by the state and the governor’s taskforce. There’s a 50 page lawsuit on his FB page. I’m not sure how to post it here.

Another shop I go to has been, closed, open, closed, open by appointment, open for curbside, closed and out of everything except a Mini30 for $1500. I haven’t checked on two others that don’t have social media presence.

Big problem is if everyone spent their “gun $” on the internet while they were locked up. Lack of ammo consumption is also going to put a drag on sales. Normally I can hear four different locations with multiple trap leagues. Two weeks ago was the first shots I heard fired and I was the one doing it. (7 others joined me)

Andrew
                                                  Participant

Nearest “gun” store is 30 miles away. Went there to pickup a weapon I had ordered online. Ammo supply for most common ammos was practically sold out. Normally full display case for pistols had only one or two Glocks, and some odd ball semis on the bottom shelf with a few revolvers to boot.

Went today, ammo supply is improved very little, top rack is full of Glocks and bottom shelf has about the same as before. Maybe one or two more semis and 3 or 4 revolvers. Some of the revolvers where SA only.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

So you thought COVID-19 was bad for guns and ammo?

My local store currently has a good selection of Muzzleloaders and BB guns!

A few revolvers and O/U shotguns and that’s it.

Ammo is down to unusual calibers.

Civilianresponder
                                                      Participant

Any body considering buying ammo to train with probably shouldn’t wait. Probably gonna get worse rather than better.

Viewing 24 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.