MVT Forum Online Shoot #1

View Latest Activity

Home Forums The Lounge MVT Forum Online Shoot #1

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
      Joe (G.W.N.S.)

This will be a Pistol shoot requiring 50 rounds.

Dot Torture

At 3 yards.
        You have to get all 50 hits to pass.

Dot 1 – Draw and fire one string of 5 rounds for best group. One hole if possible, total 5 rounds.

Dot 2 – Draw and fire 1 shot, holster and repeat X4, total 5 rounds.

Dots 3 & 4 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #3, then 1 shot on #4, holster and repeat X3, total 8 rounds.

Dot 5 – Draw and fire string of 5 rounds, strong hand only, total 5 rounds.

Dots 6 & 7 – Draw and fire 2 shots on #6, then 2 on #7, holster, repeat X4, total 16 rounds.

Dot 8 – From ready or retention, fire five shots, weak hand only, total 5 rounds.

Dots 9 & 10 – Draw and fire 1 shot on #9, speed reload, fire 1 shot on #10, holster and repeat X3, total 6 rounds.

The attached PDF is the target.

I recommend using your carry pistol and to shoot this cold. By cold I mean no warm up, no practice. This isn’t as easy as it may appear. Also if your like me and shoot a DA/SA don’t skip the Double Action first shot after each re-holster.

Besides fun this should be good indicator of your status. B-)

Attachments:
        You must be logged in to view attached files.
        Joe (G.W.N.S.)

I am out! :yes:

I did my normal morning routine, went outback and shot it cold, no practice before.

Beretta M9 with G conversion. Winchester white box 115 grain FMJ 9mm.

Target pre-shoot.

Results…

Called flyer on #6 and I am out. :cry:

I’ll let First Sergeant rule whether the rounds that broke outer circles would have counted.

Can you do better! B-)

Attachments:
          Joe (G.W.N.S.)

It’s funny, I posted this on IG and it disappeared. So I removed “Dot Torture” and it reappeared! :-)

SeanT
            Keymaster

1st Sergeant is smiling…

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

My emphasis on shooting such drills cold is because I consider them to be an assessment of my status.

I don’t base my skill level on my peak performance, but my lowest performance. Obviously this identified a fundamental weakness in my routine practice.

I’ve seen too many online that practice a single drill to perfection. Change up the drill and they falter. I need to practice the fundamentals in a variety of conditions, not just environmental, but my physical condition as well.

So when I am tired, had a bad day, have a headache, etc…

Why?

Because bad things don’t just happen when I am at peak performance! :yes:

Note: Use some uncommon sense with above. Don’t shoot if your potentially dangerous.

JohnnyMac
                Participant

Done cold

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by JohnnyMac.
                  JohnnyMac
                  Participant

Trouble posting picture…

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Done cold

Well at least your groups are more consistent than mine. ;-)

JohnnyMac
                      Participant

Well at least

An RDS equipped glock 19.

The RDS, with some practice, is pretty amazing. I would go so far as to say it makes a BIGGER difference on a pistol than on a rifle.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Ok I got First Sergeant’s on the outer rings!

If it touches the line it is a good shot.

If it breaks the line, it’s a miss.

B-)

Civilianresponder
                          Participant

Done cold. My one handed groups are pretty awful. This is something I have been working on to improve every range trip.

Attachments:
                            Socks
                            Participant

Here is mine, I suck lol. Gives me some things i really need to work on. Dropped shots as I transitioned and left hand shooting was atrocious.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Socks.
                              • This reply was modified 3 months ago by Joe (G.W.N.S.).
                              Attachments:
                                Socks
                                Participant

And for some reason it says that my file is too large to upload?

JohnnyMac
                                    Participant

The only way I was able to get my picture up was to post privately to FB, then use that image link to post here.

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

There is a usable image, somewhat improvised. ;-)

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

The file must be under 1 MB.

Use the link from your IG post and post it here.

When I take pictures specifically for use here I change settings to a low quality to decrease size. As long as it’s usable we don’t need High res images for most puposes.

dave37
                                      Participant

Dammit!

HEAT 1 2017
                                        Intro to CQB 2017
                                        Texas HEAT 2 2018
                                        Operation TeaSinker 2019
                                        Combat Leader Course 2019
                                        Team Coyote
                                        Team Rekkr
                                        Team Cowbell

farmer
                                        Participant

I’m having trouble getting the target picture to computer. So…:

#1 All hits inside circle
                                          #2 4 hits inside circle, 1 hit Outside circle at 5 O’clock
                                          #3 3 hits inside, 1 hit outside at 12:30 just barely touched outside of black border. I call miss
                                          #4 4 hits inside circle
                                          #5 1 hit inside circle, 1 hit broke border, 1 hit barely nicked black border-miss,2 solid miss
                                          #6 6 hits in circle, 1 miss, 1 broke black border, but not good enough for hit- miss
                                          #7 7 hits inside circle, 1 miss
                                          #8 5 hits inside circle
                                          #9 2 hits, 1 miss
                                          #10 3 hits

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by farmer.
                                          Robert Henry
                                          Participant

Not my best day of pistol shooting….

And I’m beginning to see why 1st Sargent said “those suppressor height sights aren’t all that great.”

First pic mostly right handed, Glock 19 with the Trijicon suppressor high sights.

Second pic is all left handed except the “off hand” dot- Glock 17 with standard sights.

I didn’t print enough of these, so I shot the 2nd run on the same paper….

Attachments:

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                                            Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Robert Henry
                                            Participant

But to try to redeem myself a bit, I did shoot the marked group with an M and P 15 at 100 yards.
                                              So I can kinda shoot an AR, and I experienced the first serious jam with this one today also. A nasty double feed. First one in that rifle though, so already light years ahead of my previous AR experiences.

Attachments:

www.jrhenterprises.com

Lost my MVT class list- been here a time or two :)
                                              Team Coyote. Rifleman Challenge- Vanguard

Joe (G.W.N.S.)

Well I guess we’ll revisit this drill at some point.

I plan on using this as a periodic check myself drill, but I will not be practicing it.

My goal is not to get good at any specific drill. My interpretation of my results suggest I need more emphasis on fundamentals of pistol.

Thank you for all those that have participated!

I hope this was as beneficial to you as it was for me.

Others can feel free to post their results at any time, no such thing as a dead thread here at MVT Forum.

Civilianresponder
                                                Participant

Thanks for putting this out there Joe. :good:

First Sergeant

Well I guess we’ll revisit this drill at some point.

I plan on using this as a periodic check myself drill, but I will not be practicing it.

My goal is not to get good at any specific drill. My interpretation of my results suggest I need more emphasis on fundamentals of pistol.

Thank you for all those that have participated!

I hope this was as beneficial to you as it was for me.

Others can feel free to post their results at any time, no such thing as a dead thread here at MVT Forum.

To emphasize what Joe is saying here. Don’t get stuck practicing one drill. You then become good at that one drill. Use this as a check on where you are at with your skills.

FILO
                                                    Signal Out, Can You Identify
                                                    Je ne regrette rien
                                                    In Orbe Terrum Non Visi

dave37
                                                    Participant

Resurrecting this thread because I just figured out how to post my target.

Damn left handed shooting…

Attachments:

HEAT 1 2017
                                                      Intro to CQB 2017
                                                      Texas HEAT 2 2018
                                                      Operation TeaSinker 2019
                                                      Combat Leader Course 2019
                                                      Team Coyote
                                                      Team Rekkr
                                                      Team Cowbell

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.